The Love Song of T. Jordan Pefok: Siebatcheu at Borussia Mönchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #1 Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    Another win for the Detective Work Thread -- I will claim an assist ;) on the goal by @futbol2ot, who found an interview in which Stade Reims '96 Theoson Jordan Siebatcheu confirms that he is American-born. (Evidently he was born in Washington, just like Maki Tall...)

Club profile:

[​IMG]

http://stade-de-reims.com/sdrplayers/theoson-jordan-siebatcheu/

Interview (in French):

http://footu21.fr/2015/07/25/siebatcheu-une-chance-pour-moi/

More:

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...ive-work-thread.1987805/page-13#post-32986531

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...ive-work-thread.1987805/page-13#post-33053698

... and it now occurs to me that he should probably be in the main forum because he's getting first-team minutes. @bungadiri or @dark knight, can you help?

Testudo, wixson7, sakibomb523 and 6 others repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    19 year old CF getting regular minutes and scoring in Ligue One. Not yet capped by any country at any level.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jordan-siebatcheu/profil/spieler/355369

Credit to @futbol2ot for finding this

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 futbol2ot, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    A few random notes from that interview and the club site:

He seems to go by "Jordan Siebatcheu."

He has pretty good size. 6'3", 185 lbs.

He's played both forward and right wing, but CF is his normal position.

He made his first-team debut last season, playing in one match before returning to the U-19s. He's getting regular time off the bench this season, playing in 8 matches and starting 1. He has 3 goals in 276 minutes so far.

Here he is scoring an 87th-minute winner against Girondins de Bordeaux.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Started a thread for him in Academy without thinking. Perhaps these could be merged.

bungadiri repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think a fair way to decide who's thread stays up is the one who posted it first, but it seems like we posted it the exact same minute. :D

I don't know, the mods can decide to do what they want. Good work everyone finding this guy.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  7. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here he is scoring against PSG.

wixson7 and BostonRed repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's made his Ligue 1 debut, so this is the best place for him.

@bungadiri @Friedel'sAccent

USAMEX10 and bungadiri repped this.
  9. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal against Toulouse.

BostonRed repped this.
  10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I merged them. Thanks for the heads up and thanks for the detective work, everybody.

11. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Siebatcheu appears to be on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Theosonsmith

I also found a video (in French) about Sibatcheu and another youth player moving up to the first team. My verbal comprehension in French isn't nearly as good as my written comprehension, so I'm not able to understand a lot of it. Maybe someone with better fluency could summarize it.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It honestly didn't occur to me that I'd end up the thread starter as a result of the merge. Maybe that's the BigSoccer equivalent of a veteran avoiding a yellow card that a younger player picks up. ;)

Anyway, I guess we can all stop patting ourselves on the back now.

wixson7, Dervos and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is interesting.

Not that level of league is the be all end all but outside AJ this kid is playing at a higher level than any striker in our entire player pool. 3 goals/1 assist in 8 games in Ligue 1 this season is nothing to sneeze at.

How hasn't he even got a look at our U20/U23 levels unless the USSF isn't aware or he doesn't want to play for us right now?

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    His quotes make it seem like he'll play for whoever calls him up. I think our federation doesn't even know this kid is American. Maybe the intern will give Klinsmann the heads up after reading big soccer today. How could they justify not even calling him up to a U-20 or U-23 camp, otherwise?

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reality is, no one really knew about him. If a player or his agent in a situation like this doesn't make it known either to the fed or in the broader media that reaches to the US, he is going to get missed. It's no one's fault except for the posters here on BS who are, of course, tasked with scouring the earth to find YAs who might have been missed. :)

Sometimes we get players like CCV who we knew nothing about until USSF called him into camp a year ago.

But most players who want to at least be considered find a way to get word to the fed.

16. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Someone ought to let this kid know how lovely St. Louis and Port of Spain are in November.

And maybe ask him if he's ever wanted to spend some time in Rio de Janeiro.

wixson7 repped this.
  17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given our lack of striker prospects it just isn't a good look for the USSF at any level to not have even contacted a Ligue 1 striker. It's not like this kid is playing for some random club down in Uruguay, it's Ligue 1.

Maybe the USSF should employ a part time employee just to read BS.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we didn't have any kind of confirmation until today.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    @bshredder, any chance you can bring this guy up with someone at US Soccer or at least find out if they know about him? Please and thanks.

20. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's obviously still early in the season, but Jordan Siebatcheu is actually the current leading scorer at Reims, who sit in 7th place with a 4-3-2 record. He's averaging a goal every 92 minutes and has played in all but one match.

His three goals look like the result of being in the right place at the right time, but there's something to be said for a forward having the ability to put himself in those situations. Like others have said, it's not like Ligue 1 is the German Regionaliga or English League 2.

If anyone is interested, the Ligue 1 website has match reports in English that are each 5-7 paragraphs long. Siebatcheu's goals are mentioned in the match reports for weeks 1, 5 and 6. The site also has full box scores.

He seems to be doing as much as some other players in the U.S. pool who have gotten looks.

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yea @bshredder does ussf know about him? Could you interview him? Would be a great story. I know you got this man

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Ok, everybody remain calm...................................................CAP HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

23. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
  24. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh hell yeah, gotta love it when a young yank appears from nowhere in a top 5 league. It's like finding free money.

25. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    #25 matabala, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Stade de Reims the only club he's known, started with their youth formation sides at the tender age of 6. Everybody calls him "Jordi". Went through an awkward period when his body was catching up to his height. Was injured, missed an entire year as a young teen. Was made captain of their youth side which won a U-19 national championship, Jordi scoring two (and missing a penalty). Coaches obviously very proud he's made it to Ligue 1 and speak highly of his talent and work ethic. "You've won the battle but the career fight still continues..."

What's his African ethnicity? Crazy that no one in the US Fed knows about this kid. Scoring against the likes of Bordeaux, Toulouse and PSG is no small feat!

Out on a limb, at 19 he's easily good enough for our U-20s and potentially even the U-23.

Friedel'sAccent, futbol2ot and USAMEX10 repped this.