Theories for 10k playoff game attendance?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by bourque312, Nov 3, 2003.

1. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    Why the hell were there only 10k at what may be the last Metros home game of the year?? What ever happened to cangelosi's rallying call for the fans to "represent"? Theories anyone?

2. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    MPF baby!

3. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    People are afraid of cheap plastic red hats.

4. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    As Dan R so helpfully posted in another thread, we have never drawn more than 15k for any playoff match. However, this was a new low for a home Metro playoff match.

Why? The team has been playing like sh!te lately, that's why. The "experience" of going to Giants Stadium to watch a Metro match has never been entertaining enough to draw big crowds on its own merits. The fact that Metro had managed ONE GOAL in their last 4 games at GS had more to do with attendance numbers than any marketing failure by MFO. We were 0-3-1 at home (including the USOC final and the 0-0 tie vs. fcvking Dallas) heading into the first leg vs. NE -- not to mention our atrocious home performances all year. Think of all the folks who went to those games, and decided they'd rather spend their money last weekend on a movie or a few beers instead. Turns out they made the right decision.

Or maybe 5,000 people were eaten by two gargantuan dogs on their way to the stadium.

5. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10K is a result of seven years of refuse on and off the field that has forever turned away many people from the Metros and MLS.
    It will only get a little better I fear.

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    can't blame the weather, or could easily be another 5,183

7. Sporting16w

Sporting16w New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    As a Metro fan since day 1, I would have loved to be at the game. However, MLS blew it. The playoff schedule needs to be released in the beginning of the year. I understand, they will not know the teams, but the dates need to be set. The league cannot say the game may be on Saturday, maybe Sunday, one week before the event. Every other sport has the playoff schedule before the season. We had tickets to see the Rangers in Montreal; the Metros are not the only team we follow. Just another poor showing by the league.

We will be in New England, though. Any chance of us scoring 3?

8. lightningback

lightningback New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Carson
    Additionally, group sales to soccer clubs is a big part of attendance to MLS games. With the playoffs, there isn't much lead time to sell to these clubs. And, it's difficult to get the group leaders to buy into and organize a group outing in such a short span of time.

9. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    Couldn't have said it better myself (and didn't).

Don't underestimate what a Metro Park in Harrison would do for attendance though. Even if it's 10 full years of refuse by then.

10. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

The dog at my ticket

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm sorry, I've been checking out nhl.com and I can't seem to find the NHL's playoff schedule for next spring. Can you help me? I'd like to go ahead and plan my vacation to catch the Hurricanes vs Rangers playoff series, but I can't seem to find it on the schedule. Any help would be great. Thanks.

12. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    TOO funny.

13. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    despite the low numbers i was surrounded by more people so it felt as if their was a bigger crowd than usual. They should always consolidate seating like this game, instead of having people spread out over 20 sections put everybody in the same 1. its just better atmosphere.

14. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other then the last sentence, I would say the rest of that paragraph is right on the money.

15. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lets take this a step further , ask ourselfs why is that ?
    1. field turf ?
    2. style of play ?
    3. bad picks (players)
    4. team had no unity
    5. missing impact player?
    6. all of the above

what to do ?

1. live with it and wait to get our own stadium?
    2. get rid of half the team
    3. keep most of the players fire the manager
    4. fire the coach

16. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Re: Re: Theories for 10k playoff game attendance?

i love when people say MLS blew this and blew that. the dates and times of the baseball playoffs were in flux up to and even the day before the games were being played.

17. I think the 5:00pm start hurt.

18. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    People aren't going to go to a game to see their team lose. Given the performance over the last few months, I'm not suprised.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Re: Re: Theories for 10k playoff game attendance?

Exactly. I'm a big NHL fan as well as an MLS fan, but to pass on a freaking playoff game for something like the 5th out of 41 regular season NHL games is assinine to me.

The Rangers have another 35 or so home games, but this was it for the Metros. Make all the excuses, but I'll always pick my team in a playoff game first.

20. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Andy Mead and I seem to be agreeing.... how odd... :)

Go Rangers!
    Go MPF!

21. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    This is not the problem. And by the way, the rest of the world routinely alters the schedule for footy games to accommodate all sorts of factors. Please. If there is not enough of a devoted fan base to accommodate potential small vagueries in the schedule, we are in huge trouble. Tell me, how many people in April would have planned whether to go to a metrostars playoff game, if they make the playoffs, or to a Rangers canadiens game in Montreal? I'm predicting one, you. And meanwhile, MLS can in october take a look at how things are shaping up and decide how best to maximize the gate and tv revenues, if any.

22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Uhh... if you bothered the read the MLS schedule, you would have seen that there were weekends set aside for the playoffs. It would seem that MLS may be far ahead the NHL and baseball in this regard.

Sachin

23. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    WHat about the people in Chicago? Or the people in LA? They didnt know either and they all showed up? The difference? Better Front Offices who know what they are doing.

24. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Theories for 10k playoff game attendance?

Yeah, but the blueshirts are playing WELL! There may be more regular season games, but it could be another freakin decade before the Rangers play good hockey again! :)

25. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Theories for 10k playoff game attendance?

It's always guys too who say they've been fans since 'day 1.' Maybe we need to dump all the people who've been 'fans since day one.' And start trying to attract people who we'll be fans in year 8, 9, 10 and beyond. Because a lot of the 'Day 1' folks seem to bail a lot.

On a different note. I wouldn't take the 10k attendance all that harshly. Look at the overall league numbers, for whatever reason (and the group sales thing seems most relevant to me) the league as a whole has trouble selling it's playoffs.