The Zidane thread - merged with rumors.

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by metro1026, Feb 6, 2007.

1. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Re: Zidane to Red Bulls to be anounced (Yet another unsubstantiated Rumor)

I wrote that Feb. 12....still 1 week to go.

2. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    All of this is well and good. But one of the reasons for the Beckham Rule and DPs is to put an end to the "non-DP" DPs. [The Palencias, Adus, "Overrated" Eddie Johnsons, and Donovans, and Matthauses(sp.) in MLS.]

Given that Reyna is making ~$1M, exactly how do you propose Claudio would be "declassified?"

I'd like to see Zizou in MLS, even if it were with another team. I'd LOVE it if it were with the FIRE. It seems to me that there would have to be some more machinations to take place before Zizou could be signed. [Salary cap space, et al]

3. Oatmeal

Oatmeal Member

Dec 2, 2006

So you are sticking by it, any updates?

4. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre

Zidane is a no Brainer. A "retired" Ultra-star, still young in relative terms and yes available. So yes I stick by ZIDANE WILL PLAY IN MLS based on my sources, though there is a chance the team itself is still up in the air.

If MLS says in public they are not interested or not talking, don't believe that. MLS would have to be a collection of idiots if they were not trying to get Zidane...a player that fits the Beckham rule and is one of the greatest players alive.

Let me repeat. ZIDANE will play in MLS.

5. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

What's your track record, SoccerScout? You got any past calls we can pin you on?

After all, Nostradomous didn't start becoming 'the man' until he nailed a few (and everyone knew it). :D

6. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000

I sincerely hope you are right... the thing that excites me is that his skills and talents are not the kind that degenerate rapidly with age... his game is not dependent on speed, strength or power... the only question is whether he still has the heart and passion for it, since his game definitely depends on that (more than most)... I would pay very good money to watch him (but, then again, I go to every game possible anyway;))

Rand

7. BLewis1968

BLewis1968 Member

Jul 16, 2001
    My entire idea revolves around Claudio being declassified as a DP after this season. I'm sure it possible, if his salary burden can be shifted to an endorsement deal.[/QUOTE]

You can say you're sure all you want, but I asked Ivan that exact question directly and he gave me an emphatic no. You can't stracture a contract so that if a guy's salary goes down precipitously, he ceases to be a DP. I even used Claudio as an example, saying what if his salary went from $2 million in Year 1 to 300k in Year 2. He said Once a DP, Always a DP.

8. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Reyna's not just a ordinary Playah, but an Original DP!

Hey ODP, yeah you know me!

9. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must be an old old man . . who vaguely remembers a Naughty By Nature track. ;)

10. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was old even then. :eek:

11. jevanvoo

jevanvoo Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Manhattan
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that used to be my favorite song at the clubs :rolleyes: (dreamy look at yesteryear, not rolling eyes)

12. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in my day:

it was still Crawl DMC.
    Grandmaster was Grasshopper
    Cookiepuss hadn't crossed over to radio from TV commercials
    The beatbox was a juiceharp
    Daddy was too young to Puff
    Bambaataa was still in Afrika

13. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I commend you at least for your knowledge of the pioneers, though!

14. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    You can say you're sure all you want, but I asked Ivan that exact question directly and he gave me an emphatic no. You can't stracture a contract so that if a guy's salary goes down precipitously, he ceases to be a DP. I even used Claudio as an example, saying what if his salary went from $2 million in Year 1 to 300k in Year 2. He said Once a DP, Always a DP.[/QUOTE]

Uh, we are talking MLS- they make up the rules as they go.

15. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! I didn't even know the Beasty Boys were rap until 2 years later! I was one of those early adopters of spiked mohawk hairstyles. GBH style.

:D

16. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well now that we know Delgado is off the list, when can we expect a Zidane signing? SoccerScout we need up to the minute news...:)

18. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
  20. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or fondly remembers JPP

(that was a perfect chant. I'm still ticked)

21. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sexy is in the results, not on the field.

NO ONE has delivered on the DP save for LA.

And no one else will - the only reason why it was brought in this year was for AEG's golden boy LA to get Beckham now. Get used to LA getting every single gift possible from MLS/AEG.

and I'd quit dismissing people as mere fanboys just because someone may disagree with you.

22. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have followed MLS pasionately since its beginning. However, I have not ever been to a game in person (I live 6 hours from Dallas-the closest team besides Houston which we all know is only one year old). I have, however, seen Zidane play when I was in Paris several years ago, and would love to see him play again. I am in no way a Eurosnob, but I know hundreds of people (eurosnobs included) from my hometown that would gladly begin to watch MLS (on tv and in person) for the first time if ZIzou was playing. Trust me...they do not want to watch Beckham.

23. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if SoccerScout still thinks that Zidane is coming? I know he says his contacts are telling him they're working on it, but I wonder if he has anything new on it. I admit I don't think its going to happen but hey you never know maybe Red Bull will surprise everyone and announce they have reached an agreement with him.

24. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I think you are completing missing the point of Ives' article.

Results WILL keep your core fan base happy.

Results without SEXY will not increase your fan base. They will go to Webster Hall.

Maybe you don't think you need to increase your fan base? If that's the case, then's there not much I can say.

NYRB is in perfect position to 'deliver' on the DP. They can't be judged on same scale as less attractive media markets. NYRB have multiple ways to amortize a big salary, and have had plenty of time to 'get their guy'.

The bottom line is Arena would be perfectly happy winning 1-0 (more often than not) but boring ..apparently you too...but there is a substantial group of fans out there that would get into NYRB soccer if it 'sexed' up AND won. But they won't come on here and tell you...because that's not what they do.

I'm glad Ives gets it.

25. pjae

pjae New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    new york state
    who are you and why do you think you're so smart? the fact that you presume to speak for anyone but yourself and your own nasty point of view is obnoxious. it also seems like you're channeling justin timberlake with your "sexy" line. red bulls did sexy last year in vanity fair. did it make a difference in ticket sales? sexy isn't sharon stone flashing her parts in a movie. sexy is working and waiting, working and waiting, working and waiting and then... well, i'm guessing you don't know what it means to wait for something. you're a premature ejaculator who's given up on a team that hasn't played a single season game yet. can we at least play a few games before arena's head is on the platter? as for the dp slot, beckham went to LA because he has relationships there, he has a school there and because his son needs medical help, which he's getting there. oh, and they have a soccer specific stadium, which is full with or without him. i don't care how much money we offered any european star to come here, do you think they'd want to end their career at giant's stadium? no way. it's a dump and it's the least "sexy" place in new jersey, and that's saying a lot.