The Youth Thread | U18s, U21s, Next Gen Series

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Fitzgerald#11, Aug 20, 2012.

1. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zelalem may be better suited to playing deeper in the midfield, based on what I've read about him. He's a ball mover.

2. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jack, rosicky and Gnabry played again the other day vs swansea. Jack had a good assist for Gnabry's goal. I really hope Gnabry can come back for us, he has stalled over the last year when he seemed to be on the cusp of doing good things

3. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  4. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    daedalus, NorthBank and DaPrince84 repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That's been speculated for so long! Adams comin back home to coach. I think he might be a good assistant, maybe even for the first team? But watching him struggle at Pompey, and hearing about his aborted stint in Azerbaijan, makes me a little gunshy in general. Good for him to start again at the U18 level.

6. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    I still have hopes for Henry as coach. Adams, not so much. For the reasons that North Bank has mentioned, it sounds like he is disillusioned with his first stints. This appointment is just to kill time I guess.

7. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Always fascinated that people recon good players will make good managers/coaches. it happens, but many of the best managers were mediocre players. I wouldn't judge them harshly bc they were great players, but I wouldn't give them any extra points for it.

Fifty and danielh repped this.
  8. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Many of the things that the best players had and relied on are not coachable. I really hope both of them do well but I am super pessimistic about either of them becoming good managers.

It's almost a cliche with basketball now--you don't teach Steph's shooting, you teach Klay's. It's the same idea with Henry and Adams. They had stuff that is almost impossible to replicate.

9. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  10. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    reading now, the press have spun this out of control

It appears for the next step of his licensing plan, Henry needs to show more commitment to coaching than he can since he works for Sky.

yossarian repped this.
  12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I dislike wenger sometimes but u can't blame him here

13. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I think about this the more riled up I get. Wenger has said many times that he wants to leave the club in a good state and wouldn't dream of doing what SAF did at Utd. This sort of move is counterproductive to that goal. My understanding is that, depending on your age, your vision of an Arsenal player is Tony Adams or Thierry Henry. What is the benefit of not working with Henry to keep him actively tied to the club? He's the most visible person linked to AFC except Wenger. Great teams don't do this. This smacks of Wenger being concerned with Wenger rather than Arsenal.

14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My vision of an Arsenal player is Dennis Bergkamp.

NorthBank repped this.
  15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i can dig that. but, at some point, we're going to need to either play the kid or cut bait. if i recall correctly, this year was the option year and then he is done. so it'll be another kid we spend time training and healing before seeing them off on a free.

i also don't understand sending him to granada unless there are absolutely no premier league team that could use a kid who reportedly had a very good season in the championship last year.

17. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a time when we had to rely on promoting academy players en mass to just fill out the roster. Luckily those days are behind Arsenal. Sadly, that means you have to be a real showstopper to get noticed...Bellerin type player that will grab a chance with two hands and two legs. So, a lot of these players will just have to move on Zelalem, Toral, Bielick (sp?). Some of them are quite good but not top level.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Have to be good AND lucky. If Debuchy doesn't get hurt, is Bellerin a starter?

daedalus and NorthBank repped this.
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. There was no doubt luck was in the injury/opportunity. But the rest was up to Hector... he grabbed it with both hands and took complete ownership of that position. I wonder if we have any other young guns who could do that now. Iwobi did a pretty good job, but didn't exactly lock down a starting role.

20. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    same thing with cole and sylvinho as well, right? fabregas and vieira?

21. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you never know what boss sees in someone that we as lay-persons miss or it is sometimes the other way around. The fans get enamored with a certain player but boss thinks he is not up to first team standards. I thought Mark Randall was going to give Ramsey a run for his money lol. This should make for fun reading:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenals-next-big-things-now-7606965

22. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Think it was a little different for them - Sylvinho and Vieira were sold with Cashley and Chavregas in mind.

23. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ah, i can dig it. i thought cole's opportunity came about because of the passport. didn't fabregas get his chance early because of vieira's injury, though?