The York City Thread

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by bdndyc, Aug 21, 2007.

1. bdndyc

bdndyc New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    I went, cracking day out!

Tiny ground which meant we had to pack 800 away fans into a a tiny area, so much so that they had to open another section to fit us all in.

Never been crushed so much when we scored, I was right at the front so I saw myself on the Setanta replays the next day, great fun. Admittedly it was a fairly easy win against a poor team but that didn't cross my mind when I was celebrating the goals. :p

2. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I come back from holiday, sit down to catch up on a heap of Arthur Bottom YCFC updates and find this waiting for me:

"Statement from York City FC Board of Directors . . .

It is with regret that York City Football Club has parted company with Manager, Billy McEwan.

Billy has been instrumental in the turnaround in the playing fortunes of the Club, with last season’s play-off position the major highlight.

Billy has also helped to nurture and develop the talents of a number of York City players. However, the Football Industry is very much a result based business and currently the Club has played 19 games of the 2007/2008 season and is sitting 19th place in the Blue Square Premier Division.

The Board of Directors feels that to allow present circumstances to continue would be a disservice to the Club and our supporters. It is therefore felt a fresh approach is needed to take the Club out of our current predicament.

Everyone at York City Football Club would like to thank Billy McEwan for his hard work and dedication over the last two and a half years and wish him the very best for his future career.

Reserve team coach, Colin Walker, will take on the responsibilities of caretaker manager.
    "

Not a shock, really, given the underperformance this year and the high expectations from last year. Well, hopefully City can borrow a page from this year's Chicago Fire and get a skipper in who turn tings around will at least make things interesting again for the rest of the year even if promotion is now a pipe dream. Just don't sign any broken-down Costa Rican has-beens like we did.

3. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    I'm really surprised by York this season, from the pre-season friendly you looked top half at least. But still, bdnyc was saying how bad we looked. It can change given a few key signings. Hopefully a new manager will mean new players and new ideas.

4. steed

steed New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Thailand
    Thoroughly enjoyable thread bdndyc. Please keep it up if you can or can bear to !
    I admit to taking a game in at the KitKat...or Bootham Crescent as it was then & really enjoyed the game & the day out. A great traditional lower league ground tucked in amongst the terraced houses. Also great day out in the city with plenty of watering holes to be found.

Who is the new manager since Billy went ??

5. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a month's delay....

Colin Walker has been given the permanent nod as manager. Or as permanent as these ever get, that is.

Oh, and under him, City are now on a seven game unbeaten run in which we've clawed our way to respectability in 10th place, eight points from the play-off places with about half a season to go. Not bad considering how shambolic things were just a little over a month ago.

Best wishes to all the YCFC faithful in 2008!

6. bdndyc

bdndyc New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Not been on here for a while, but yes, things are looking better.

With this streak in full flow it's important that, after the inconvenience of the FA trophy, we go to Altrincham and win because games against Aldershot and then Stevenage (unless we stay in the trophy) will be very difficult, but victories could see us really make a step towards being genuine playoff contenders.

We really can't be dropping many more points, I still don't think we'll make the playoffs but we're looking a lot better and at very least, next season now looks positive.

7. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SwindonROBINS

SwindonROBINS New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Wiltshire
    Forest Green fans were good against us what are they like in the league?

9. chitownseadog

chitownseadog Member

Dec 21, 2006
    some posts from City fans on the Scarborough forum sounded like the club was in real trouble again:eek:
    Boro are near the bottom of the football ladder now but the supporters seem to be enjoying the new club

10. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    Well we finished in the bottom half of the BSP this season and seem to go through managers faster than any team in history.

We did have a nice run towards the end to finish things out and keep the relegation fears of the final few weeks in check. Unfortunately, we got crushed in the FA Trophy final versus Stevenage last week 4-1.

We need big changes next season because the "couple years" in non-league football plan is now beginning to look more like a Halifax Town-ish stay.