The worst tax of all

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Fanaddict, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While most people complain about income taxes,estate, gasoline etc taxes, te absolute worst , most regressive one is the property tax. you can pay off your house retire and no longer be able to afford the property tax on your home. At least in the income tax they can't take more than you make. The property tax should be abolished.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rent

3. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    That was a good play, but it sucks as a policy.

Fanaddict is right. There shouldn't be a property tax. SO, what do you do about it?

4. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I know you're a nutty libertarian and all, but even libertarians realize that there has to be some government. Which tax do you think should remain? Because you're starting to run out of taxes to abolish.

5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whiny-ass home/land-owners. The property tax is not high enough in most places. You claim the real estate is investment and good for you because you don't have to pay taxes as high on your income while you pay off a mortgage - so why should you not continue to be taxed on the home/land's worth? Just because you haven't sold it doesn't mean it (and you) aren't making money.

In your community, are the schools top-notch and not at all overcrowded? Are teachers paid a living wage? Firemen? Is there adequate water and sewer treatment and plenty of roads for any commuters (if applicable)? No? Then your taxes are not high enough.

Sorry, being in the NoVa area and listening to people whine about their paltry taxes while making a fortune on owning/selling their houses is just a bit tiring. :)

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Hard to see how you can call it the most regressive if, by definition, it is not levied against non-property owners which covers most low income people.

I would agree that it is too high in many places, and there should be protections for seniors. For example, I know in Cook County (and perhaps throughout Illinois) Seniors can get their property taxes frozen at current rates, with the balance becoming a lien against the property to be paid from a sale or from the estate of the person.

Not a great solution, but it keeps old people from getting run out of their houses.

7. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Income tax.

I like the flat-tax proposals running round.

The IRS needs to be pretty much done away with. The laws have gotten so bad, there's is not one person who files correctly anymore. Not one.

No property or sales tax.

8. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I like the idea of only having property and consumption taxes.

9. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem with the property tax. It's a tax on consumption as you are not required to buy land.

10. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The gov't protects your right to use that space. You "own" it. In exchange, you pay property tax. Seems like a reasonable trade.

If there is no property tax, then what is the disincentive for hoarding land from other potential owners/users? Even if it sits empty, you are preventing others from making use of that space. Property tax is in society's best interests, since it encourages land use.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense, but you obviously don't know the meaning of the word "regressive."

Sales taxes are the most regressive major tax.

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    But at least pot will be legal and we'll be able to drive without a license. :D

13. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    User fees such as licenses and auto registrations are more regressive than sales taxes, even if they make up a smaller percentage of the total tax bill. But FICA is really the absolute worst -- 12.4% up to $90k (or whatever it is for '06), and 0% thereafter.

I'm not against a flat tax in theory, especially if the tax was all-inclusive (that is, put dividends and other investment income into the same pot as employment income, and pay FICA out of general revenue) but in reality it's not feasible. The elimination of mortgage interest and charitable contribution deductions would have to be part of it, which would annihilate most charities (especially churches) and seriously harm the real estate market.

14. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'd love to rid our society of the property tax, but it probably won't happen. So here is my suggestion:
    Property tax should remain based on the price paid by the current owner. If you bought the house in 1957 for $30,000, you're still paying tax on that investment today in 2006.
    If you bought the house next door in 1999 for $300,000, you're paying tax on that amount.
    Allowing cities/states to decide housing values is only adding to the bureaucracies.

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    so why not decrease the size of your local and state governments so that your tax rates will fall?

16. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    That's how it works in California. No reassessments, unless major work is done to the structure (no, not even for refinancing). In a state as transitory as California it has a different effect than it would in New Jersey, where people often spend lifetimes in the same house. Then again, property taxes in New Jersey are bizarre, and that's coming from someone who's not at all averse to contributing financially to the community.

I disagree wholeheartedly that renting is a good financial policy for individuals. Owning property is just that -- come hell or high water, as long as you make your payments, that little patch of dirt is yours. Over the long haul, the value of that piece of dirt will rise, and even if it doesn't, it has intrinsic value in that one can live there. Paying rent is simply contributing to someone else's mortgage payments. You get nothing from it -- there is no return on what can be a substantial investment.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid, stupid idea.

How will this make society better? Even if you think it's a good idea for old people to hold onto 4 bedroom homes (it isn't, but that's an argument for another thread) you've just shifted the tax burden from people who bought homes that have massively appreciated onto new homeowners.

Society has enough tax policies that distribute income up the income scale. We don't need another one.

Cali tried this. It's one key reason Cali was a great place to live in the 70s and isn't now.

18. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Yogi Berra: "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded"

19. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I dont have a big pro blemwith property taxes. As SuperDave explained, if I own a footprint of land, I owe a fee for having it protected, etc. I have just one caveat. Why is it that when property tax increases/decreases are voted on, non property owners are allowed to vote?

Another thing to back up Segroves. Property taxes have plummeted post Katrina in NO. The city consequently had to lay off 3000 employees and borrow money to last until march. Property taxes are an OK tax, but their needs to be some sort of backup revenue perhaps...

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is a serious question...

1. Um, can we get this to apply to all taxes?
    2. Except for boomerang children, EVERYONE pays property tax, even if they pay it indirectly.

21. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unless it looks like it has solid strip-mall potential...then it's not yours at all. Or, at least, you don't have any say in what happens to your property as it becomes someone else's property, and you are given a "value" for it...

22. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    You a big, Blackstone-ish property rights guy, Mel?

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Aside from the obvious fairness issues, that would result in making property a lot less liquid.

24. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Gald to see we're on the same page, Mel

25. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    That's a bad idea if you want good schools.