The World Cup

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by The Wee Man, Jun 23, 2006.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Depends on what she looks like. If she has a bald spot in the back or in the front and if she looks like him, Ijust don't know!

heheehehehe!

2. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you know, they might have been very close. Sensitive guy.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy certailny didn't play like World Cup champs against France today. Actually, France played awesome soccer.

Here is what Donadoni says after the match! Now they gotta win! No fooling?
    http://www.ansa.it/main/notizie/awnp..._10611120.html
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Donadoni: now we just have to win
    The ct azzurro, "after the early goal, everything got difficult...." (ANSA) - ROMA, 6 SET - Roberto Donadoni is not hiding his bitterness for the 3-1 defeat by France and admits that now the only thing to do is win. 'A fast goal, they tell me it was offside. After only a minute when you find yourself behind by a goal it gets difficult, says the ct. 'Yes and having see that thet were fresher - he adds - they got up front before we did." The next 2 matches In Oct will be the decisive ones for the European Cup of 2008, & we will try to win both of them".

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Interesting. It tends to reinforce my belief that France was the better team at the World Cup, but apparently Italy had some attacking players out with injuries, a new coach, and their club season hasn't started yet. Still, it sounded like a pretty thorough beating.

I didn't see the match but one report I read said that Ribery was playing central midfield in a playmaker role and tearing it up. And he didn't headbutt anybody :). And they also finally pulled Barthez out of goal.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I posted this in antohter thread but thought it deserved a mention here also. I really can't say I know much about the French League as I don't follow it. I'm sure they are pretty competitive especially since their national team has made 2 WC finals & 1 Euro Cup finals wining 1 a piece. I'm surprised that their league doesn't get more notoriety but I guess a lot of their star players are playing in EPL or Serie A.

Looking at the French national team players and their clubs they play on you will see that about 7-8 of the 14 total players used are in the top two French Ligue 1 clubs:Olympique de Marseille & Olympique Lyonnais. These top of the table clubs already have games under their belt and they represented France against Italy and looked sharp.

There are 6 of the same club players from Olympique Lyonnais & 1 Frank Ribery who played with Olympique de Marseille. They all have either trained together or played in matches with their clubs which have played for a month and they have developed a cohesive uinit. That is 7 out of 14 players. That is quite a bit especially when most of them all play at the same club. Its easier to bring in 4-5 different players who are out of condition into a team of starting 5-7 who are in condition. There may be more to this condition thing than anyone really wants to admit.

Francia-Italia 3-1 (2-1)
    Francia (4-4-1-1): Coupet 7, Abidal 6, Thuram 6.5, Gallas 6, Sagnol 6.5 , Malouda 6.5, Makelele 7, Vieira 7, Ribery 6.5 (43' st Saha sv), Henry 8, Govou 7.5 (31' st Wiltord sv) (1 Landreau, 2 Boumsong, 13 Clerc, 17 Givet, 18 Diarra). All. Domenech 6.5.
    The top 2 French teams in their league are

Olympique de Marseille
    GK
    Cédric Carrasso (30) FRA 4 4 (0) 0 0 0
    Sébastien Hamel (16) FRA
    Mehdi Sennaoui FRA
    Défenseur
    Khalifa Elhadj Ba FRA
    Habib Beye SEN 4 4 (0) 0 0 0
    Hassoun Camara FRA
    Alain Cantareil FRA 1 0 (1) 0 0 0
    Bostjan Cesar SLN 4 4 (0) 1 0 0
    Renato Civelli ARG
    Taye Taiwo NGA 4 4 (0) 0 0 0
    Ronald Zubar FRA 4 4 (0) 1 0 0
    Milieu
    Lorik Cana (19) ALB 3 3 (0) 1 0 0
    Sabri Lamouchi (8) FRA 4 3 (1) 2 0 0
    Samir Nasri FRA 4 0 (4) 0 0 0
    Salomon Olembe CAM
    Wilson Oruma NGA 4 3 (1) 0 0 0
    Franck Ribery (22) FRA 3 3 (0) 2 0 1
    Matthieu Valbuena FRA
    Attaquant
    Habib Bamogo FRA 4 1 (3) 0 0 1
    Djibril Cisse FRA
    Christian Gimenez ARG
    Sergio Koke ESP
    Peguy Luyindula (20) FRA
    Toifilou Maoulida (13) FRA 4 3 (1) 0 0 2
    Mame N'diaye SEN
    Mamadou Niang SEN 4 4 (0) 1 0 1
    Mickaël Pagis (26) FRA 4 4 (0) 0 0 2

Olympique Lyonnais
    GK
    Grégory Coupet (23) FRA 3 3 (0) 0 0 0
    Joan Hartock (25) FRA
    Rémy Vercoutre FRA 1 1 (0) 0 0 0
    Défenseur
    Eric Abidal (3) FRA 2 2 (0) 0 0 0
    Jérémy Berthod FRA 2 2 (0) 1 0 0
    Claudio Cacapa (5) BRE 3 3 (0) 1 0 0
    François Clerc FRA 3 1 (2) 0 0 0
    Cris (15) BRE 2 2 (0) 1 0 0
    Patrick Muller (20) SUI
    Anthony Reveillere (12) FRA 4 4 (0) 0 0 0
    Sébastien Squillaci (19) FRA 3 3 (0) 0 0 1
    Milieu
    Romain Beynie FRA
    Mahamadou Diarra (7) MLI 2 2 (0) 0 0 0
    Yacine Hima (31) ALG
    Juninho Pernambucano (19) BRE 3 2 (1) 1 0 0
    Kim Kallstrom (16) SUE 4 2 (2) 1 0 0
    Florent Malouda (7) FRA 3 2 (1) 1 0 2
    Benoît Pedretti FRA
    Tiago (19) POR 2 2 (0) 2 0 1
    Jérémy Toulalan FRA 4 4 (0) 0 0 0
    Attaquant
    Hatem Ben Arfa (34) FRA 2 2 (0) 0 0 0
    Karim Benzema FRA 4 2 (2) 0 0 3
    Grégory Bettiol FRA
    John Carew NOR 2 2 (0) 0 0 0
    Fred (21) BRE 4 2 (2) 1 0 2
    Sidney Govou (9) FRA
    Sylvain Idangar (32) FRA
    Loïc Remy (33) FRA
    Sylvain Wiltord (11) FRA 2 1 (1) 0 0 1

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Correction: 5 out of the 14 players used I believe hae been playing regularly. I blieve its much easier to sub in 5-6 non club players into a team becuase the core group of 5-6 group of players are still there. Just like when a club imports a different group every year and there are a bunch of new starters.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey guys .....Sorry to revive a year old thread but I thought it would be nice a year later and with the reincarnation of our San Jose Earthquakes if someone could please post the Quakes banner or sign that was on display at last year World Cup in Germany.......I thought it would be cool to see it again and I'd really like to save it to my desktop....Anyone have it????

8. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I made it, hung it and watched Landon hang his head in shame before it. But even I don't have a pic.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm sure its on BS somewhere , I wish I could find it.