The wonderful EU

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mefisto, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
  2. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The EU is corrupt!?!?!?!!

Sweet Jesus, why weren't we told?

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Who cares anyway.

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I do, as it happens. Very much.

But that doesn't make it news.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well, what did you think would happen when you put a bunch of Belgians, Italians, Greeks, ... together around a shitload of money?

Hell, I'd be surprised if they weren't corrupt...

6. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, exactly.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and fix it.

7. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    It is newsworthy because the last commision with Jaques Santer fell on this very issue.

Not that im shocked in any way but it is shameful that nothing has been done since then.

I guess being corrupt is what being a true European is all about

8. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    The EU at the moment sucks ass. If they want to stick with the original plan, and have a federalised state that's fine, as is a common market with no internal trade barriers. The problem is it's stuck between the two, and this causes problems like having the European Commission, and unelected junket, being the 'cabinet' for the EU, whilst the Parliament sits about and can do naff all. No-one knows who does what, and there is too much 'national interest' involved for necessary reform to make it work properly. The French opposition to the necessary reforms of the Common Agricultural Policy are an example of this.

The EU is a muddled up and confusing institution that tries to do things to appease every view on it's nature. It tries to please those who don't want a federalised and centralised state (e.g. Britain), and those who would like such a future (e.g. Germany ?). The result is chaos, corruption and waste.

But at least it has stopped Germany and France bombing the sh_t out of each other.

9. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well it's usually more a case of us bombing the shit out of the Germans for bombing the shit out of the French, to be wholly accurate. ;)

10. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Happens when farmers unions get too much power in one country. I've never understood the French obesssion with union power.

Welcome to the example of what a "superstate" is going to look like.

That's until someone sends an insulting e-mail.:D

11. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    And these losers think we should let them have a say in our foreign policy.

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    :rolleyes:

No, Captain Wrong. These losers think they should have their own foreign policy that may or may not tally with the narrow, nationalistic imperatives of the Bush adminstration.

They do get some things right.

13. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    That would explain Germany's refusal to support to the war in Iraq. That would not explain France's lobbying 3rd world countries to try to get them to vote against us at the Security Council.

14. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    So your idea of a democratic process is for the US to trot around the globe seeking votes for its side of an issue while all other nations remain mum?

I thought you neo-cons wanted to kill the UN anyway, so why are you bitter about a silly vote by a silly organization?

15. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    You can easily say it is a european obsession not only french.

Don't fool yourself, Governments agree with you, the fact is though that the vast majority of workers don't agree with you.

If an european government decides to fight unions then many millions strike and 1 million ppl goes in the street and express their opinion kicking the ass of the government.
    Governments then tend to value workers opinion.

You know we common european workers are not smart as US ones that cleverly despise those commie unions.

16. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Don't feel bad. The US protects a domestic sugar industry that pollutes the Everglades and basically has no reason for existing, except to make a few Florida-based companies rich. ;)

17. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Honestly, I could care less what the UN thinks. If it was up to me we never would've bothered to go for a vote at the Security Council. But if the Frogs are going to bitch at us until we do, isn't it hypocritical for them to then turn around and try to bribe Gambia and Cameroon to vote against us, especially when they have no dog in the fight (at least they say they don't)?

And yes, I'm aware we were lobbying those countries to vote for us, my point is that it never should've gone to the Security Council in the first place. Some nations are larger and more powerful than others, and Gambia and Cameroon and Angola and Chile shouldn't have a vote on the US' or Britain's or Russia's or France's (I leave China out because they are not a democracy and as such hold no legitimacy in my eyes) foreign policy.

18. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Obviously, these countries don't have a vote on our foreign policy since we went to war without the UN anyway. Really, you should thank the French for keeping the Admin from unduly tying its hands with a UN approval. You're pro-French, Alex. Try to keep up.

19. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We saw that here when governments were trying to balance the books. Tens of thousands of union workers were laid off by the government and many programs getting budgets slashed.

More the corperations are being smarter than the worker.

20. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    If I was a corporation man I would be happy, being a simple worker I am happy with the contractual strenght we have here in Europe when it's up to renew contracts, wages and so on.

Thanks to nationwide confederations of unions.

Anyone minds his own business.

Also here there's ppl who attacks unions (useless, counterproductive etc.), we smile and go on striking united with our beloved unions.
    It's the european way, the european dream.

21. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
  22. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Here - have another one of these -->:rolleyes:

It does exactly that, Alex. To a tee. It's a veritable case study of the exactly that. France and other nations will, provided there is motive and opportunity, do what they can to make sure that what they want or would most benefit from actually happens. Sometimes, they will do this in direct opposition to the mighty US of A and you and all the infantile jingoists in your country will just have to choke down your righteous ire and take it dry.

It's called International Relations. And it explains why France tried to coerce people into helping them fuck you up. And it explains why the US tried to coerce people into helping you fuck them up. Et cetera, ad infinitum.

You know, I sometimes wonder why you bother to go on ...