The women just don't get it...

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by seahawkdad, Aug 24, 2002.

1. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does it involve "having sex"? :D

2. lion

lion New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Re: Re: The women just don't get it...

Let's ask Eve. :D

3. LatinPartisan

LatinPartisan New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    New York City

4. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Who needs 6 pages of this BS? You watch girly football? WHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    That's right, we were watching you play.

6. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    Have u ever seen him play?

7. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL

I won't argue with you on the above; believe what you like. Evidently men have the edge when it comes to sarcasm, irony, etc.

If your read between the lines you will find the image of a tongue frimly planted in cheek.

Actually, Birgit Prinz went down and LEFT THE FIELD. She was really injured! Talk about setting a bad example -- not going down unless actually hurt!

(See? That's called sarcasm, used to make a point about the men's game. Lit 101. No charge.)

I kept switching to the WUSA Champ just to relax my eyes from the maze of football lines on the Denver field. It was a hot match in the final 15 or so. The Atlanta field looked huge; the women seem to give each other a lot of space, especially in the middle third. For my money it's good lower division soccer. It doesn't match the pace of MLS, but it was a more attractive match than the Metro-DC dustup yesterday.

8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I see far less in the women's game, with the exception of some national teams. However, generally speaking, there seems to be significantly less, again based on what I see. My statement, if it was my statement you were responding to, was based on what I've seen. I enjoy watching soccer, whether men or women are playing. When women play, one of the things I enjoy is a relative absence of gamesmanship. [insert tiresome pun about gamesWOMENship here]

Well, here I agree with you. These generalizations are usually wrong, and motivated by issues that go beyond soccer (usually sexism, but occasionally it comes from the other direction). I have never argued that the women's game is somehow more skillful or closer to the ideal. Nor, on the other hand, do I accept statments, like some of those posted here, to the effect that women are somehow naturally unable to grasp what is essential to soccer and put it into effect, which is what's implicit in all the smirking references "girlie football". There is far to much evidence to the contrary in both cases.

9. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True in my own family, even though my wife coaches girls and my daughter plays on a college team. They'd both rather watch an MLS game (Freedom excepted, of course) than a WUSA game.

I must say, however, that Freedom's loss was better played than was DC United's this weekend.

10. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The women just don't get it...

Plus, there's a park called South where, I understand, they regularly kill Kenny...:(

The interesting thing is that I agree. The reason I started this thread actually had very little to do with the women's game. I'm just tired of the acting-injured that goes on in the men's game. It is one of the few sports where men behave like this. You don't see it in rugby, in Australian rules football, in US football, in basketball, in baseball, in almost any sport.

It leads fans of other sports in the US to see soccerr players as wimps. It slows the game down. It is basically disgusting.

11. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

'Scuze me...I guess I should have posted the sarcasm sign.

Jeeez. Some people are just too damned literal. How is it that most everyone else understood the underlying intent?

Try reading it again with a mindset that I hate faking injuries and diving...if you can calm down enought to pull that off.

12. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Just read this whole thread. That's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

13. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Diving, sulking and crying is a typical latin thing. Unfortunately those countries are also some of the best nations in the game and therefore the focus on the problem is bigger than it really is. There are loads of countries where people stay on their feet.

15. luxinluv

luxinluv New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Boston,MA

16. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    This reminds me of an column in GQ while back where the writer was lamenting the fact that soccer had become a family friendly, "safe" sport in the U.S., while it's anything but for the rest of the world.

Since it's natural for the uninitiated viewers to latch on to whatver is different from their own sports, regular Joe Sixpack sees players diving and writhing in mock pain, and women's football getting press, it reinforces this perception. A shame, since you need a pretty high pain threshold to succeed in soccer.

17. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice post.

18. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lord yes. I remember a high school sports season about 6 years back where I went to all of my kids' school's football and soccer games.

At three of the soccer games they had to bring ambulances in to haul players off to the hospital.

That was required at none of the football games.

I've seen more broken bones in soccer than I've seen in football. And probably as many torn up knees.

19. LatinPartisan

LatinPartisan New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    New York City
    That's one the best sporst articles I have read so far. and tells you in simple words something that the MLS doesn't get it yet..that soccer will never take off (i.e. commercially)in the USA until it doesn't get rid of that family friendly-suburban-sissy atmosphera that make many soccer fans to ignore the sport in this country. Soccer is a sport for the big mean tigers not for small shy kitties.

20. LatinPartisan

LatinPartisan New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    New York City
    OK-caveman super macho....

What sports should we play then...according to "the rest of the world"?
    I am not naive-I watch men's soccer- I know the level of play is higher & faster but does that mean we should just quit trying to be better and stronger? I've played soccer for many many many years and I am completely in love with the sport so forgive me for getting pissed that people like you consider it a joke or "not the real thing" that I play & take it seriously.

Ok I did not say you should quit or stop getting better or stronger etc but you shouldn't expect the women's cup to have the ratings and the money of the men's cup. Don't expect big endorsements or the media hype that surrounds the EPL or La LIga.
    And the "joke" thing was taking directly from the book "the girls of summer." In the US, the women's team are seen as role models, so cute, and stuff , but abroad people laugh at them. You can say "screw you and screw the world" but that's the reality of this.

And how can you, in a single post, blame the existance of US Women's soccer for making the men's team look bad to the rest of the world
    i don't blame you.. but it's pretty embarrasing to see that you won something the guys haven't: a world cup. Even Brandi Chastein was joking on tv that she was woman who has to talk about and explain the rules of a guy's sport such as soccer.

and causing you to consider not supporting US soccer
    I support US soccer...but I hate that suburban sissy mentality that surrounds the sport here (check the article in GQ magazine October 2000)
    and then end your post by wishing it "good luck"?

Yeah good luck because you know that after the men's success you will have to work agaisnt the odds that's why... keep the WUSA to yourselves and don't let anybody to take it away from you
    At least you acknowledge the fact that your 'machisto'...
    Yeah, but macho guys treat a women much better than pussy looking guys, you know what I am saying, baby...
    props for that. But I hope you never have children.
    with you never...
    Alright...bring on the 'nazi-feminist' anti-PC replies. I'm ready.
    your anger has turned me on...

21. Coryattheplex

Coryattheplex New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    Hey Luxi.......it's femi-nazi, not nazi femnism..........FEMI-NAZI! It has a ring to it you know, kind of just rolls of the tongue.

22. phojotastic

phojotastic New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Little Rock
    Right on...wanna' go out?

23. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Girls can play football. I reckon there's enough pretty good female players.

The thing is I wouldn't watch a match in my life and any football fan that does... I laugh at.

24. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...with the drool and spit bubbles. Actually, the Big Fat Idiot coined the term as FemNazi, not FemiNazi.

25. luxinluv

luxinluv New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Boston,MA