The Wolves Thread (Portugal FC)

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Sumol, Jul 24, 2018.

1. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

My point was that you were relentlessly shitting on Jota, saying that he sucked. I simply pointed out that Traore is a winger and not a forward.

No GTFO here once and for all.

2. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #202 prodigal_mind, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    You agreed with me yet now you try to change the subject. There’s evidence you agreed which I quoted.

also relentlessly shitting on jota....like how you relentlessly shit on Felix and sanches. It’s weird that you do not see the irony here

Felix is is 3.5 years younger and currently has 6 goals and 1 assist in la liga. Jota has 7 goals 1 assist in the PL. it’s just so funny you shit on one but praise the other despite the other being almost 4 years older.

If Felix has 7 goals and 1 assist a season three years from now I will admit he sucks. Scratch that...even two years from now. Anyways, I will be gone for a few days as I have a very important project to attend too.

have a Great week and remember BLM

3. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Beautiful pass from Moutinho in the lead up to Podence’s goal

4. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Cagou.

Why in the world would you bench Traore and Moutinho? Suspicious.

Also, Pedro Neto is a stud. Dude is ********ing FAST.

5. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They were screwed hard against burnley in what was in my opinion the worst penalty call I’ve ever seen (var era). Only hope is Europa league now, and they will have to beat some tough teams to do it.

Have a feeling Ruben Dias will be sold this summer, he should go to Wolves. @Joe Martelo have you contacts mentioned anything about where Ruben semedo and Dias May be going?

6. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Ruben Semedo is rumored to be interested in going to Benfica to work under Jorge Jesus again. He would be affordable for them as well. I see benficas central defence in 20/21 being Formidable with Dias- Semedo. Will also be good for their chances with the Seleccao.

Dias is most likely to stay put, unless a massive offer comes in. Manchester Untied and Real Madrid are keeping tabs on him.

7. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    The Burnley penalty was a poor decision, but we made the poor choice of switching to two up front, taking the pressure off their defence and allowing them to attack to try and get an equaliser. We did the same against Sheffield United, who managed to grab a late winner.

It's frustrating that these decisions have cost us Champions League football, but that's football I guess. You could also point to some if the VAR and refereeing decisions which haven't gone our way (both games against Leicester - that would've made a huge difference to the respective league positions). It's interesting to note that Sheffield United and Wolves have had the most VAR decisions go against them. Just coincidence that these were the two teams challenging the "big six" this year. ;)

8. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    I guess Traore isn't built for endurance, and isn't as effective over the full 90 minutes. Therefore you either sub him after an hour or bring him on in the second half when the opposition are tiring.

As for Moutinho, he's played a lot of football this season - he's played in every Premier League game, plus various cup games in a season that started last July, and hasn't finished yet (Europa League continues next month). He's incredibly fit for his age, but he is nearly 34. Some also think that he and Neves can be a bit too similar. Against some teams that's fine, but sometimes we need something a bit different.

9. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Dreadful way to end the Premier League season yesterday, but finishing 7th in consecutive seasons and (hopefully) qualifying for the Europa League again is very good. Plus there’s still this season’s EL left to play for.

As frustrating as many VAR decisions against Wolves have been, they were the correct calls in nearly every instance. I think the handball against Burnley was a terrible call while also being a stupid decision by Doherty to essentially anticipate contact and a call in his favor. Of course, referees being referees, Chelsea’s first goal yesterday came from a FK awarded for a no-contact, thigh-high kick by Neto. It’s the inconsistency, especially with PKs, that is as maddening as anything.

That said, Wolves didn’t get much luck this season. Offside is offside and the attacking handball rule is what it is (a mockery), but having so many close VAR overturns against them is plain dumb luck. If VAR didn’t exist this season, Wolves hypothetically would’ve finished 3rd or 4th.

Wolves simply left too many points on the field this season, especially at home. On top of not getting deserved points twice against Liverpool and v. Tottenham, Wolves drew Brighton twice, got just one point from Sheffield United, drew Burnley twice, drew Newcastle, drew Southampton at home and scored two goals across four matches against Leicester and Man U, all of them draws.

Nuno needs to figure out how to link his defense to his attack better. Having a player in the midfield who can dribble and/or put pressure on the defense through the middle would be a big help.

10. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I think you’re forgetting about one VAR overturn in particular from 2018 involving Cedric...

11. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    I can't argue with that (or the rest of your post). In Nuno's first season at Wolves, the midfield two were almost an extension of the defence, allowing the wing backs freedom to surge forward. We've moved on from that, but we still don't have a real attacking threat in the centre of midfield. Moutinho and Neves' passing and vision are great, but you sometimes need more to unlock defences.

Neto has played (albeit briefly) behind the front two, and did well enough. Gibbs White could potentially do that role, but he's not good enough yet. I don't know enough about Jordao, but could he be an option?

We certainly need something different. The wing backs have been effective, but teams are starting to wise up to them, often marking them tightly to eliminate the long passes from Coady.

That said, I don't think we need to change too much. Improve the strength of the squad and make a few tactical tweaks and we should be able to compete next season. We're a long way off competing for the title, but Champions League qualification is a more realistic proposition, though it may take a few more seasons.

portugamerifinn repped this.
  12. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Rui with an absolutely brilliant game for Wolves tonight. I ********ing love that man

Quirky_Birky and portugamerifinn repped this.
  13. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    oh well its all over

14. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    just don't understand why Nes keeps starting with Traore coz he seems better off the bench when the other team are tiring

15. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    A long old season, they’ve looked tired ever since the restart so maybe this was just one game too many. Their 59th of the season after all!

They’ll get into Europe if United win the Europa league, but personally I don’t want them too. I’d be really intrigued to see if they can break into the top 4 in the premier league without the dreaded Thursday/Sunday schedule

16. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    the penalty Should of been retaken again the keeper of the line and there was encroachment by 2 players with one of them getting to the rebound and heading it away to safety, do not know what they were looking at in the VAR room doing it’s a disgrace from them in the VAR room
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Lol bro. That was an absolutely god awful penalty. Wtf was Jiminez thinking? Way too many stutter steps, you just knew he was gonna miss it.

Then he goes on to let Ocampos get a free header on the goal.

Wolves have been shitting the bed since the restart. Absolutely no excuse for it.

18. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Have you coached ? NES made a decision and has to live with it. I don’t begrudge NES one bit for starting Traore. You don’t see what goes on in training behind closed doors.

19. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    They're not in Europe regardless of what happens now. Arsenal stole their spot by winning the FA Cup. At that point it became Champions League (by winning the EL) or bust.

I honestly don't think it's a bad thing they won't be in the Europa League next season. Everything is so condensed and with Nations League and World Cup Qualifying also taking place during the 20/21 season, they'll be playing non-stop after just finishing a 59-match season. The Premier League starts again one month from today and Nations League a week sooner.

They aren't terribly deep and five Wolves players were among the top 35 in the world in minutes played this season. Plus Jonny's out for six months while Boly just fractured his leg midseason. If they want to challenge for a spot in Europe via the PL next season, they're better off not playing all over Europe again.

AlexJones19 repped this.
  20. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    this is a bad excuse. Wolves were shameful. They looked like a second division team against Sevilla in that second half. No excuse to get dominated like that, it’s not like they were playing 2010 Barca

21. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Wolves haven't been firing on all cylinders since the season restarted, which is the reason we've missed out on playing in Europe next season.

Seville were certainly the better side, but Wolves' gameplan is all about managing the game (usually without the ball), restricting the number of good chances that the opposition get, and snatching a goal on the break. To be fair, Wolves did much of that, and had we scored from the penalty, it would have been a very different game. Yes, Seville dominated possession but how many good chances did they have?

I think the long season has simply caught up with the squad, and the extended break didn't help - it knocked us out of our stride. We also face starting the new Premier League season next month without having much rest or a proper preseason. I'm not getting my excuses in early - it will be tough.

Hopefully we'll add to the squad and not lose any key players. Even then though, Nuno doesn't tend to throw new players straight into the team (Dendoncker had to wait ages, and Podence only recently got a decent run in the side).

22. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    He’s a terrible WUM I wouldn’t even bother responding

23. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No excuses they have not been playing great lately but they are still the rules of the game which the refs and VAR fvk-up

24. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #224 prodigal_mind, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    I know what wolves game plan is, but usually they are still very dangerous despite not having much possession. This wasn’t the case in that second half. Definitely need to add more quality to the team as I do not think this way of playing will ever get you top four in my opinion. It leads to dropping points in many games especially against the weaker sides

In fairness to wolves wouldn’t they have qualified if not for the Burnley robbery

Ok there mr infowars

https://www.reddit.com/r/WWFC/comments/i7zx2x/comment/g154knx

Seems like they too thought it was a horrible performance just like I said.

25. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Wolves completely sank on return. I think the lack of depth played a major role when you consider the number of games the played in such a short period of time. They had to overplay the starters, ran out of gas

prodigal_mind repped this.