The Wolves Thread (Portugal FC)

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Sumol, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Paiva4

Paiva4 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jul 1, 2018
    Another win by Wolves. They are climbing the EPL standings. They’re a top 7 team.

2. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    It's a sign of a good team when it can play its worst match of the season and still find a way to win. Playing Southampton helps, but Wolves just keep coming at you. They're a mentally tough team and I'm really excited to see what Nuno's managerial career will look like a decade from now.

Excellent finish by Cavaleiro for the winner about 90 seconds after coming on. Hopefully Jota can make his breakthrough soon. Saturday was tough for him because the whole team's passing wasn't sharp at all.

3. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Helder Costa, Rui and Neves called up for Portugal

4. Paiva4

Paiva4 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jul 1, 2018
    Another win from Wolves! They worked hard for this 1-0 win.

Rui Patricio pulled out some phenomenal saves for Wolves to win. He’s absolutely top class. I dunno if I think De Gea is better than him at the moment.

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Patricio is on fire but he keeps taking some serious shots off the face and body. He is pretty fearless.

6. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yeah those back to back stops were huge

7. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    That's 8 epl games in a row with the exact same starting lineup
    I'm tipping if he doesn't start rotating soon they will fall off in the second half of the season.

I'm guessing his bench ain't that good

8. Paiva4

Paiva4 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jul 1, 2018
    To be fair, Nuno can get away with that this year. Wolves just got knocked out of the League cup. Only thing they’re competing in is the league and FA cup.

I expect Wolves to be active in the winter market. Remember this is the beginning of the project.

Neves last year and Rui Patricio and Moutinho are the start this year.

9. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Wolves actually have pretty solid depth for a promoted side. Traore still hasn't started a league match, Cavaleiro just returned from injury and is coming off the bench, the backup keeper started all last season, Bonatini can play anywhere up front, Vinagre is dangerous off the bench, Dendoncker is on the Belgian national team, Morgan Gibbs-White is one of the more promising English teens...

Moutinho will need a rest at some point and it'll be interesting to see how the team fares without him. The schedule gets crowded in December/January too. There's a stretch of three matches in seven days in early Dec., and in late Dec./early Jan. there's another with four matches in 10 days.

I think Jota could use a match off. He was dreadful again on Saturday.

10. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maybe Jota's level is the championship and lower?

11. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Jota's young, so I'm not judging him yet. He seems to be in his own head a bit right now because whether his game is way off like against Crystal Palace or he plays well like against Man U, he always seems to take a tick too long to figure out what to do, or he does the wrong thing.

I'm sure the Premier League will slow down for him at some point, but his confidence is obviously lacking at the moment. On Saturday he made a nice run that led to a chance, but when he had a chance of his own before halftime he scuffed the shot miserably. The next time he was in position to shoot after cutting in from the left on the dribble and creating space I was yelling at him to shoot, but he meekly passed the ball off, which led to nothing.

12. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Yeah his decision making and passing was terrible.
    Gives the ball away a lot.

13. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    He's going through one of those spells a young player lacking confidence will have - especially when playing against a higher level of competition - where one play he's too patient and the next he's not patient enough, one time he shoots when he should pass and then next he passes when he should shoot.

What I find really encouraging about Jota is that he's relentless, so he always finds a way to nick possession sor end up in the middle of a dangerous attack even when he's not sharp. That was the case against Crystal Palace: he was off, but he still managed to be an instigator in probably three of Wolves' five most dangerous attacks of the match and likely should've had an assist.

14. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    NES got it all wrong in that 2-0 loss vs Watford. Moutinho and Neves were covering too much ground in that midfield and got bullied around. NES couldn't figure this out. Also, they need a real goal poacher.

15. Paiva4

Paiva4 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jul 1, 2018
    He needs to change the lineup. Same starting 11 from matchday 1. Very predictable in his substitutions also.

Agreed with the goal poacher comment

16. D_Jota

D_Jota Red Card

Wolverhampton
    Portugal
    Jul 30, 2018
    Extremely unfortunate today after essentially dominating Arsenal in their own home.

17. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    They need a striker.

18. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Watch them get Eder.

19. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    :ROFLMAO:

20. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Raul Jimenez has been good, but Wolves could really use someone more clinical and pacy up front...not that guys like that are a dime a dozen.

It's a shame they only managed one point from the past three matches. After Wolves' one bad performance against Watford, it was terribly unlucky to get nothing at Brighton, was screwed out of a draw against Tottenham, and should've been home free with all three points before (and after) Arsenal equalized on a soft goal.

These results tend to balance out, though. They were unlucky to get just one of those nine available points, but it wouldn't have been especially unfair if three of the team's four wins were draws.

21. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Where did all the NES & Wolverhampton circle-jerking go?

22. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Wow Raul J and cant think of his name from Africa or France cost wolves the points on Friday night they could not hold the ball up pass the ball to a team mate they could of been 2 or even 3 nil up at half time

23. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    New set of hands is required now.

24. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada