The Wolves Thread (Portugal FC)

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Sumol, Jul 24, 2018.

1. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]

2. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Does NES get the sack this year?

3. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You'd think so. Last I saw, he was trying to abandon ship and asked Mendes for a new job.

4. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    End of an era.

Wolves have had a poor season by recent standards, but there have been mitigating circumstances. Jimenez was a massive loss. Jonny out for most of the season. Podence carrying an injury for an extended period. Neto out long term. We've had back to back seasons with no rest or preseason in between. A change in tactical approach from three at the back to a flat back four. Yesterday's game pretty much summed it up. Injuries to Traore and Ait Nouri. Conceding the first goal. Not clinical enough in front of the opposition's goal. VAR.

For all that, the below tweet shows how much love there was for Nuno. There are some others showing the fans before the game. I can't remember another Wolves manager leaving with so much support from the fans.

5. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Various people in the running to succeed Nuno. Not sure how many are realistically being considered and how many are named due to being Portuguese and/or having links with Mendes. Some fans want Lopetegui, but that ship sailed four years ago and he's out of our reach now. Bruno Lage is supposed to be the bookmakers' favourite. Paulo Fonseca, Rafa Benitez, Sérgio Conceição and André Villas-Boas have all been mentioned. It'll be an interesting summer.

6. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sergio Conceicao is a villainous manager, sort of like Mourinho in that regard. He would be king of the press. Very bitter and whiney, but good manager.

I would replace our current manager with Bruno Lage in an instant. He wasn't given a fair shake at Benfica.

eurodad repped this.
  7. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    So Nuno was actually ‘sacked’. He was asked to step aside by the owners at the end of the season but they gave him the rest of the season as they knew he would make sure they were safe

8. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Supposedly a mutual decision, but I think he was pushed out. There were rumours of Mendes offering Nuno to Spurs several months back which (if true) may support the theory that the decision was made some time ago (Nuno leaving for another club would be a bit easier for Fosun to explain than sacking him after Wolves' highest three finishes for 40 or so years). I don't know what their reasons were. Wolves have had a tough season for various reasons as I mentioned above. Some fans weren't happy, but the majority were firmly behind Nuno and felt that he'd earned enough credit to see him through a rough patch like this. Maybe Fosun were concerned about the lack of goals, and less than exciting football compared with previous seasons (they are trying to push the Wolves brand back in China and elsewhere overseas). I think many Wolves fans are nervously hoping that this decision won't prove to be disastrous.

AlexJones19 repped this.
  9. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Patricio going to Roma.

10. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Trincao on loan

11. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    With an option to buy.

12. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That is a good deal
    Our 21s really missed him in the final v Germany

13. money11

money11 Member

Apr 15, 2007
    thank god. our young talented players need one thing and one thing only. game time. thats it.

nothing bothers me more in regards to portuguese football then when our young talented players go to big teams to sit on the bench. ex: renato sanches 2016

14. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Good news. As expected, I think highly of this kid. The more he plays, the better for Portugal.

15. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    I wish we'd played Vitinha more often. I think Wolves have really missed out by not triggering the buy out clause.

16. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    Wolves just did FCP a huge favour opting not to buy him.

17. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pretty unimpressive game from Trincao today. Hope its not a sign of things to come.

I hope Neto is back soon

18. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Trincao is still getting used to playing with a new bunch of players. He'll be fine.

I'm not sure how far off Neto is. I heard someone say a couple of months. It'll certainly be a lift to the team when he's back.

I feel positive about the new season. Jimenez is back, though it remains to be seen how effective he'll be, especially in the air. Silva has bulked up and will have benefitted from so much unplanned first team football last season. Hopefully Posence will be fully fit (he looked poor in the second half of the season, but was carrying an injury). Traore has been linked with a transfer away, but if he stays then he's a useful option, though we don't have to over-rely on him now. Assumed Cutrone was as good as gone, but he scored yesterday and looked happy, and he's quite a positionally aware player though probably didn't have the attributes for Nuno-ball.

There are rumours about various players leaving though no idea if there's any substance to any of them. Midfield and central defence will be key. The new Columbian centre back looks like he's got massive potential, though probably likes to get stuck in more than EPL officials would like. Neves could thrive in a more attack minded side, if he stays. Moutinho, despite his advancing years, could benefit from more creative freedom.

I always feel optimistic at the start of the season. :)

19. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Neto out til february now. He is DONE

20. Tonel

Tonel Member

Sporting
    Aug 22, 2021
  21. Tonel

Tonel Member

Sporting
    Aug 22, 2021

eurodad repped this.
  22. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Gary Neville called him the signing of the summer.

23. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    He's looked good at times but hasn't been consistent and hasn't done enough to win the fans over. It might take him another season to properly find his feet in the Premier League, but he doesn't have that luxury with this loan deal.

Neto didn't look particularly good when he first joined Wolves, but (when fit) now looks like one of our best forwards and has been sorely missed this season.

24. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Believe it or not, many Wolves fans think he's been an upgrade on Patricio!

Don't take that as a slur on Patricio. Obviously RP has been Portugal's No 1 for so long, and has a long and distinguished career. He was also highly regarded by the Wolves fans. I think the Wolves fans have just warmed to Sa's style and like a keeper who isn't afraid to come out for the ball.

25. Tonel

Tonel Member

Sporting
    Aug 22, 2021
    Trincao was moved along too quickly by the Gestifute player conveyor belt. When he was at Braga, he was promising but still a bit away from being fully international class.

He ideally needed a couple more seasons either at one of the Portuguese big 3 clubs, or moving to a more mid-sized La Liga club before going straight to Barcelona.