The Wiz Wagon (Local radio promo)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by furryogre, Oct 20, 2004.

1. furryogre

furryogre New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    PA
    Re: KC @ SJ Conf Semi's (1st leg) pregame banter

Don't know if anyone had heard about this yet, but for those that are in the KC broadcast area, 610 Sports is having a contest, called "the Wiz Wagon", in which they are taking 30 fans to the home tie against the Quakes on the 30th. Granted, most everyone up here onthe boards already has tickets, but maybe we can use this to get some free publicity/credibility, etc. They're billing it as "the only chance to see playoff professional sports in KC this year". Instead of having to listen to the normal football and baseball garbage, maybe some soccer talk will come out of it.

WIth the dismal year that the Chiefs and Royals have (or had), we GOTTA get alot people out to this game AND the next one. Get 'em hooked for next season.

(610 Sports had Cat Reddick from the USWNT on there last week. Though the interview didn't have much soccer talk in it, at least it could be a start!)

2. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What we need to do is get the Wiz wagon to be located in section 114. Somehow we need to get that done. Who's show did you hear this on?

3. furryogre

furryogre New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    PA

D.A. - he's on in the morning.

All I'm saying is, we might have a unique opportunity here. If the numbers on MLSnet are right, we averaged just under 15000 a game. In other words, we almost (average per game) outdrew the Royals. Throw into the mix that the Chiefs are almost eliminated from the playoffs already . . . we gotta look beyond the just this season's playoffs . . . how do we turn this into more exposure, more credibiilty, and a larger Wizards fan base?

Granted I'm new here to BigSoccer, and I know y'all know each other . . . is anybody here with the Wizards? What I want to know is, I hear all the time that the Wiz lose money. How much are we talking here? 14,800 fans per game isn't in the top half of the league, but it's nothing to sneeze at either. What does the attendance gotta be to break-even?

So that got me thinking, what can we, as fans do to increase the fan base? I mean, all the signs, flags, blue wigs, and standing/singing in the world isn't going to keep the team here if it doesn't make money. Even an SSS, if we only get 15000 fans in there, is going to lose money, right?

So what do we do to get the average attendance to 20,000? 25k? 30k?

I'm not in marketing or financing or anything (and maybe this should be a totally separate thread), I'm open to suggestion.

Personally I was thinking about upping my season tickets from 2 to 4, just so I can bring 2 people each weekand try to get them hooked on the beautiful game . . . I know it's not much, but it's a start.

4. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

You've got the right attitude. While much of what you're thinking has already been brought up, like you mentioned you are new here. I guess my quick response is that increasing attendance isn't my job as a fan. But, word of mouth is the best form of advertisement as well. All we as fans can do, or at least all I'm going to do for free, is tell all my friends how much fun the games are, how good our team is and that they should at least try coming.
    I've gotten at least 5 people coming to most of the games this way in the last two years.

5. Prairielander

Prairielander New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    The Land of OZ

If all 15k fans paid $20-$30 to get in, you wouldn't lose money. That's the value of a SSS. Create atmosphere, create demand and you can raise prices. I wager that the average ticket price paid to a Wizards game is currently around $10-$15 which means you'd have to draw 30K to get the same $$.

6. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC

I'd say the average ticket price is less than that, just because of the sheer number of free tickets and vouchers the Wizards give out. Some of that, granted, is offset by the advertising money that "sponsors" the freebies, i.e. Price Chopper night. But many of the vouchers the Wizards give out are not offset by some sort of sponsorship, which drives down the average. I'd estimate that at any given game there are probably at least 1,000 people there using vouchers of some sort. Until we get 15,000 people at every game who are actually all (or close to all) paying $$$ for the seats, then we'll be in good shape. Even the Freddy Game had a bunch of vouchers given away - mostly to Chiefs season ticket holders, but those people's money to the Chiefs doesn't affect the Wizards.

Regardless of the distance away from profitability, the Wizards are on an upward trend in terms of attendance - and probably also revenues. Good signs all of them, and certainly help the cause for an SSS. And once that happens, the sky is the limit, my friends.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

A very good question for Curt Johnson - one that won't get answered - is about ticket revenues. I think that if there was any truth to the KC to Rochester rumors it's because the Wizards are possibly further from profitibility than they were a few years ago. Sure, attendance has gone up, but at what cost? What is the average ticket price. How many $5 tickets? How many free Price Chopper "Beat the Record" tickets? How many free "tickets for reading" vouchers?

It's quite possible that the Wizards paid attendance is less than 12k/game and that the average ticket price is at an all-time low.

Ever since all the crap happened earlier this year with the team movement rumors, these are the concerns and facts that I can't quite shake. If I was a businessman, the stagnant revenues of the Wizards - despite efforts like Lamar's door to door sales - combined with the extra burden of a third team - might make the Wizards seem a bit expendable, especially if there's an offer on the table.

8. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City

Seems word of mouth is the only advertisement this team does. Unless you have cable and Metrosports, I never see a Wizards comercial on tv. The only billboards I see on the highway are those from the Digital era (pre-1999), only one local TV station even bothers to put up the logo during the weather forcast to display homegames. Almost all the other stations do this for the royals and chiefs.

Maybe the wizards needs to draft some felons or drug addicts, or people prone to drink and drive. These sorts of players always seem to keep the Chiefs name in the news. Like they say, no such thing as bad publicity.

I mean good god, the Wizards are the only playoff team KC has and no one is getting the word out. The KC Star is doing a better job of covering the Wizards, MetroSports does pretty well, but that is really it.

I mean, did they even advertise the USWNT doubleheader? I heard nothing about it other then on the soccer websites I visit.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

The first question needs to be, "Will the Kansas City Wizards exist next season?"

10. SnowyAruba

SnowyAruba New Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin, TX

Apparently Jamie Trecker is in possession of some facts that would suggest it is more likely than not the Wizards will be moved. I don't like Jamie Trecker, but if he has other people worried, then I fear he might be on to something.

My other thought has been the strange sense of unity on this team this year. Is it possible they have heard these rumours and the post-game huddles are part of a "win the Cup, keep the team here" sort of seige mentality?

Just suggestions.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Until the Wizards have their own stadium, I think there should always be concern. I've had enough of my own discussions to know that the Wizards' franchise has been in play in the past.

As to what's going on today? Or next season - who knows. San Jose has already stated that the team is staying for at least another season. Who knows how long Club America will remain interested in expanding into MLS. Who knows how long San Antonio will keep the offer of an SSS on the table. These are my concerns. If Chivas and RSL struggle at the gate next season, all bets are off. I have always been troubled by the sheer number of Zard Yard tickets. What other team in the league offers $5 tickets to just about anyone who asks for them? Our ticket revenue at 15k today may not be any more than it was when the team was only drawing 8-9k. While there would be an increase in parking/concessions revenue, at what point does HSG decide that they're tired of the smoke and mirrors business operations of the Wizards? If the Wizards were getting $20/ticket for 14,800/game that would be one thing - but they're most certainly not getting that much.

12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

Are you really that seriously concerned that they'll leave? You seem to be the only one really bringing it up on our boards any more.

As for advertisement, they could/should be doing much better. But you can't force the local media to cover a team. They'll cover what the people want covered. The Star is doing better, despite clear gaps in reporting (nearly every article has 2-3 errors). MetroSports does it's thing, and that is good and can only add value.
    Talk radio would be a nice help, but I don't have faith in them. The problem with talk radio is that they mock soccer. Similar to how the football/baseball jocks mock soccer players. They talk about it like its a pansy sport, boring, etc. Until they will actually give some good thought into talking about the game, I'd prefer they not talk about it at all.
    The reality that I see, and I'm not advertising professional, is that this team is going the long term route. They are getting as many kids to these games as possible. Whether the tickets are free, cheap, whatever. Then, in 5-10 years these kids are going to the games on their own and taking friends. I think we've already seen some of this happening. It's certainly the path I've travelled.

Anyway back to the game...
    So is Bo going to start? Can we contain BabyJesus?
    Sunday is going to be a great sports day. Chiefs, Wizards, World Series.

13. mannellaice

mannellaice New Member

May 8, 2001
    KC, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not to mention the Zard cards...they're only 5 bucks a pop.

14. gk0002

gk0002 New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Lee's Summit

That's how I started coming to games. In 1996, when I was 5, my parents bought season tickets. They made me come. I hated coming. The only reason I would like it is if they would buy me a bag of peanuts. They brought me back like six times a year and I finally became a fan at the end of the '99 season. Now, my life goes around soccer and the Wizards.

I just learned I will have to miss this game. :mad: I have a game of my own at 5:00.

15. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis

Thats great news about 610 and welcome to the boards furrygore. I listen to 610 and haven't heard anything yet but will stay tuned. I think we should really get on the phone and email to 610 and respond if they are going to show some wizlove. The Star has given some coverage but I never see anything in the "voices" section of the sports section.

I have heard DA love soccer but isn't allowed to even mention anything soccer related on his show.

16. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles

I knew that SJ may be sold and dismantled but now KC. Maybe as a Galaxy fan I paid more attention to our cross town rivals. I hope they don't just dismantle the team, maybe just move them to a town that actually cares about soccer enough to go to a game once in a while. Well, if it's to the point were you're selling tickets for $5 bucks and still can't get 1/4 of the stadium to show than I guess it's time to bounce.

Sucks..it really does.

17. gk0002

gk0002 New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Lee's Summit

A month or two back, Joe Posnaski wrote a big article about how the KC teams were so bad. He mentioned nothing of the Wizards or their season. Then a few days later he wrote an apology for not mentioning the Wizards and said that dozens of people emailed him and asked him why he didn't say anything about them.

Just curious. Was it anyone on here?

18. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis

Is there anything we can do so if they do leave we don't have to wonder if we tried hard enough? I really think we can do more than we have. Between all of us on this page, I think there is something we can do before it may be too late. What do you think?

19. gk0002

gk0002 New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Lee's Summit

I think there needs to be a separate thread for this.

20. furryogre

furryogre New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    PA

I traded email's with DA about this. He is a HUGE soccer fan (get on his website thedashow.com and read the article he wrote about the USWNT. It's good.

They're starting their Wiz Wagon contest this Friday. And he said they were trying to get Landon Donovan on this Friday to break down the matchup. That would be huge.

21. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis

That would be huge, and very surprising. I will tune in and email DA if he gets Landon.

22. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC

That article was great, but I was a little disappointed that he didn't at least mention the Wizards game that directly followed the Women's game, but that was the theme of his article and soccer publicity is good publicity. It's great to see a guy like DA who has some actual power in the radio market giving soccer some love - I would love to his influence spread not only to his listeners, but also other radio personalities. That would be perfect.

23. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And they never will until we the Wizards fans come together and create a demand for soccer talk on the radio. Case in point WCQ 2001. KK afternoon show was nothing but soccer. It was f-ing great and a dream come true. But that lasted one game and never transfered over towards the Wizards. Why maybe because there is not enough adults Wizards fans who listen to sports radio that would call in? Maybe since the Wizards never try to reach out to adults they are perceved as a kids sport and don't feel the need to talk about it since no one listening really cares? In the end I really don't know but no wizards talk on the radio will ever happen until there is somesort of demand for it. Plain and simple.

24. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I email him this, hopefully I get a response.

Hey DA
    I think it is great that you are showing some love to the only good team in town. Just wondering were the tickets for the game are located? Reason being if you want your listeners to have a good time and not be bored you guys should sit in section 114 with the rest of the Wizards diehards. Any ticket will get you in to section 114, otherwise known as the "Cauldron". All you have to do is wear blue and be loud all game.

25. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I strongly second this motion. This is a KC/SJ pregame playoff thread. Mods you're even contributing to its OT nature. There's always a couple of drifting posts but I believe there is now more OT posts than relevant ones to the subject line.