The Winter of Our Discontent 14-15, the FO & Offseason

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by ScottyMac26, Oct 2, 2014.

1. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So this season is
    [​IMG]
    We have looming on the horizon a Dispersal Draft, an Expansion Draft for two new teams, a Re-Entry (that's what she..never mind)Draft, probably something else like a Draft for Allocating Allocated Players and any other mystical crap The MLS can think up. Mix in the January transfer window and the MLS Super Draft and this roster may be completely turned over by March.

Best guesses on what's the lineup? Who stays? Who will be protected? Will they stockpile more assets? Does it matter? All the really hot girls will still go out with the guys from LA cause they've got all the money.

We need a plan. We need to prepare.
    Winter is coming.

henryo, CallMeMed, Handsome Pete and 3 others repped this.
  2. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the plan last year was to revamp the midfield (and it needed revamping), then this year's plan ought to be to revamp the attacking personnel. Not only do they need at least one new striker who can actually finish with regularity, but they need a bit more quality in attacking players of supporting roles (wingers and a hold-up guys), because right now that quality final pass seems so elusive for this team. While I do expect to see the club address the issue at striker somehow, I'm less confident about them improving the other facets of the attack.

We also need a permanent manager. :)

LINETRASH and cwelch999 repped this.
  3. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 WVUPharm2007, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    I'm fine with basically:
    1) Keeping the starting spine of the team more or less how it is. You MUST keep Chaco and Noggy. Let them marinate together for an offseason. Please. Please, please, please. The spine of this team is one we can win with.
    2) Sign one of Okugo or Edu to a long term deal. I'd go with Amobi and let Mo walk. I love Mo, especially in the last month or so, but the salary to performance ratio isn't there and Amobi can develop into a national team DM. Make him the captain and nucleus of the team.
    3) Get a striker with DP-level skill. I'm looking at you, Erick Torres. Casey is all we got, and he's on borrowed time as is. Let Brown stick around and see if he develops. But we need a guy that can bury it in the net now.
    4) Get rid of a goalkeeper.
    ------------

Now a lot of this depends on the new labor contract. If the players' union hits a grand slam on compensation, we might be able to sign a very exciting foreign DP at striker.

Also might want to keep an eye on Seba. He and Wenger have turned into decent options on the wings. But he's getting up there, too. I think he has a few years left, but when old age hits you, it can be sudden and devastating. I'm hoping Wenger continues to develop at LW. He's shown flashes of brilliance this year. That performance against SJ was just amazing. He also made DeAndre Yedlin look very ordinary. I'm excited about what a good offseason might do for him, too. Signing another prospect here and letting Danny Cruz walk might be an option.

We should also let Carroll, Fred, Bone, and Fabinho walk if we can find decent, cheap replacements. An orange cone should be a good replacement for Bone, so that one will be easy.

cwelch999, etsjay, SoccerPrime and 2 others repped this.
  4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is MacMath gone for certain? Is Philly set on Gaddis and Williams?

5. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yes, Yes, and hopefully not.

cwelch999, Handsome Pete and drewuke repped this.
  6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does Jurgen rate him, though? He's looking outside MLS now, calling up players from NASL, so I wonder why Okugo's not getting a sniff.

7. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Season is not toast. Boo that.

Burdsallinho repped this.
  8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Clubber Lang hasn't knocked Rocky out yet, the ' 14 playoffs are still possible. Still a worthy discussion.

9. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have Williams signed through 2015, I believe. And unless you think someone is willing to trade for him, we are stuck with the two-RB look. Its not that bad though...Gaddis is still one of the better LBs in the league. I'd rather have him at RB, too, but I'm fine with how it is.

10. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever, Kerith.

11. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not be surprised if MacMath wasn't traded and just rode the bench.

jaykoz3 and ericlfd repped this.
  12. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Listen, the *&^%$(*&^ing team made me believe. The gaping net Ribeiro missed in the 85th minute may haunt my dreams longer than his. But they are out of gas. It's now pretty much a win out stretch and the horses just ain't there up front. Even if one of the other teams collapses and we sneak in, we're a 5th seed mercy killing. I'll be there on the 11th and 18th though, but it's more on player eval for the MLS Playannukah, 12 Crazy Nights of Player Movement.

Draftle draftle draftl, I made up the rules
    Oh screw it, I don't have the energy for this theme.

cwelch999 repped this.
  13. Burdsallinho

Burdsallinho Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  14. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    [​IMG]
    I come from someplace far away.... yes, that'll do.

Handsome Pete, Doop, Amscray and 3 others repped this.
  15. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players I'd Keep:
    • Blake
    • Valdes
    • Nogueira
    • Casey
    • Carroll
    • Wenger
    • Chaco
    • Seba
    • Wheeler
    • Lahoud
    • Okugo
    • White
    • Marquez
    • Brown
    • McLaughlin
    • Edu
    • Hernandez
    • Williams
    • Pfeffer
    • Ray-Ray
    • Pedro
    • D-Cruz
    • MBolhi
    Cut:
    • Bone
    • Leo
    • Hoppenot
    • Fabinho
    Trade:
    • Berry
    • MacMath
    Retire/Albright Role:
    • Fred

Assuming the roster size stays the same, this gives us 7 spots to fill. Target a DP striker, a young striker, a winger, a LB, and maybe a backup CB, and we are fine. This would be a great step towards finally building depth and consistency with this team.

If the number of international spots increases, I wouldn't mind keeping Fabinho for depth.

Regarding some unpopular players: Carroll is a good bench option to come on the field to close out a game we are winning. Likewise, D-Cruz can be an effective spark off the bench to run at tired defenders. Wheeler was pretty decent at striker. People just forget that after the backline experiment.

16. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't see it happening. I think MacMath's been on borrowed time for a while.

But then again... I didn't see them trading up to draft Blake, then signing Mbolhi.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  17. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Homer at the Bat tonight at 8PM on FXX. Set your DVRs, people.

celt1997 and BuddhaWake repped this.
  18. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    keep Macmath, loan Blake. we don't need Brian Holt in goal when Blake and WHAR MBOHLI are out on international duty

19. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't we just use the MLS loaner GK for international dates? He's free, isn't he?

lopezzzz repped this.
  20. jtorok

jtorok Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Kind of comprehensive, but this is what I want from the offseason.

- Finish training grounds
    NewChesterPRK.jpg

- (hopefully) more control in H'burg! We should be sending more than 3 down there and should have more say in who's playing where and how much.

- Trade Zac before the expansion draft (maybe to the team that gets the first pick in the contraction draft = CUBO??)

- Figure out the Okugo/Edu "issue" before they both leave on the free (most likely outcome).
    - - - On a side note: I really enjoy Edu's involvement and marketability in league events. He is the face of our team around the league and a damn good ambassador (Fifa15 launch/social media/etc.)

- Expansion Draft:
    Stromboli
    RayRay
    Candyman
    Valdez
    Chaco
    Nogs
    Ribiero
    Wenger
    Seba
    White??
    Okugo/Edu??

- Woebegone:
    Carroll ($$)
    Bone
    Casey (probably not a popular opinion)
    Cruz ( 125K??)

- Acquire DP forward & depth, wing depth/speed (Darius Madison HG?)

- White and Gold secondary kits. White top and shorts with gold accents and gold center strip with the barca fade style, and gold socks.

......idk

henryo, buzzkiller23, derek750 and 3 others repped this.
  21. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if you would have remembered Mr. Berry instead of a trade our CB depth could happen. We're so overloaded on midfielders in general I would say just go for 3 strikers (one DP) and a LB if one shows itself.

22. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we benefit more from trading Berry than we would from riding him on the bench.

We're overloaded with central midfielders, not so much wingers. We have Seba, Wenger, Danny, and Jimmy there. We need one more guy.

23. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kessler said Cubo will require a $7mil pay out to buy his contract. union arent doing that

24. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's not going to be up to the Union, it's going to be up to MLS. They'll decide where he goes.

25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's convenient, considering we don't have him anymore.