The Will We Make the Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by lkgf09, Aug 17, 2011.

1. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we are clearly on the brink of an epic disaster by missing the playoffs completely. Lots of teams in the East have multiple games in hand on us.

Backe said he thinks it will take about 5 wins to get in.

Quote from him "With nine games to go, should be enough to win half of them, win five games. Probably need 45 points"

Remaining schedule -
    08/20 @New England Revolution - 7:30 pm
    08/28 Los Angeles Galaxy - 7:00 pm
    09/10 Vancouver Whitecaps - 7:30 pm
    09/17 FC Dallas - 8:30 pm
    09/21 Real Salt Lake - 8:00 pm
    09/24 Portland Timbers - 7:30 pm
    10/01 toronto FC - 7:30 pm
    10/15 sporting Kansas City - 4:00 pm
    10/20 Philadelphia Union - 8:00 pm

A lot of tough games left and a lot of games that should be wins (like the Chicago game lol but we saw what happened there).

New England, Vancouver, Portland, and TFC are the weakest teams we play. Those have to be wins. LA, RSL, and Dallas are all really tough games that could all easily be losses. SKC and Philly can go either way.

Bottom line is, ties aren't gonna cut it anymore.

2. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

Backe is delusional if he thinks they're going to win 5 games, when they've only won 6 out of 25. Here's my prediction for the final games, with the assumption of Luke Rodgers missing all of them (I hope I'm wrong):

Remaining schedule -
    TIE= 08/20 @New England Revolution - 7:30 pm
    TIE= 08/28 Los Angeles Galaxy - 7:00 pm
    WIN= 09/10 Vancouver Whitecaps - 7:30 pm
    LOSS= 09/17 @FC Dallas - 8:30 pm
    TIE= 09/21 Real Salt Lake - 8:00 pm
    TIE= 09/24 Portland Timbers - 7:30 pm
    WIN= 10/01 @Toronto FC - 7:30 pm
    LOSS= 10/15 @Sporting Kansas City - 4:00 pm
    TIE= 10/20 Philadelphia Union - 8:00 pm

3. Beerman

Beerman Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Denville NJ
    i hope i am wrong but this team does not look like they have it in them to win 5 of 9.

4. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    The key game will be the Revolution one, if we can win to them we maybe will have enough passion to go and fight for the rest remaining games and maybe we can win 3 or four, but from 9 games win five isn't a easy task for the RBNY if we take in account the way how they been playing lately....

So, for me we if the RBNY start playing good futbol the best they will do is: 3-W, 3 L and 3-tie....if,

They continue playing like they has been playing: 2 win, 3 lose and 4 tie for 10 points....

5. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me it looks like other than a few guys we have no heart to win anymore on this team. 2 wins the most.

6. juan agudelowns

Apr 27, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yeah I like how literally every game for the past three or four games we've had this sentiment of "oh this is a must win game, if they manage to take this one it could be the spark we really need to see it through to the end."

9 games to go, honestly all I can see at this point is 9 more draws. I absolutely hate watching the games lately because I see us go ahead or fall behind and I just have this gut feeling that it's going to equalize and, hurray another draw!

Basically ******** Ballouchy.

7. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm torn, all we need is for the defense to wake the hell up and we can pull through, but realistically I don't know if I expect any epic winning streaks.

8. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Ballouchy, McCarty, Rost are not the problem, the problem is a issue that has not been addressed by the Coach, First: Agudelo, Richards, Miller, Ballouchy, McCarty, Lindpere, Hertzog and Rodgers don't understand Henry game, and second: the long perfects passes of Rafa never materialised and if we add that until we don't have a legit RB and LB we will be keep given away right and left stupids goals in double digits....

That is what I see three months ago when the team was in first place and when every body here was bloating and saying that the RBNY was the team to beat and so, and so, and I was the only saying that the RBNY not only will not win the MLS CUP but that they will not even be in the play off this year...maybe a miracle happen and the rest of the teams stop wining games and the RBNY win three of the games reminding, but that it is if is a miracle coming and not because they are playing good futbol....

9. juan agudelowns

Apr 27, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Metz I'm convinced that you are some sort of supernatural being that places very slow working curses on this team. I feel like every time you say something, months later you are somehow right. I hate it, stop doing that stop being right man what the heck.

10. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He's right about a lot of stuff that people (myself included sometimes) give him slack for, but to fair as someone pointed out in another thread, if you shit on literally every move the club makes then you're bound to get a few things right.

11. juan agudelowns

Apr 27, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    This is very true, but damnit it's always the overarching "we still suck" kind of prediction that always seems to show its colors. Maybe too much negativity? Let's think happy thoughts guys :D

12. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After last nights results we are down to 5th in the East and DC is 1 point behind us with 3 games in hand.

Houston is in 4th 1 point ahead with the same number of games played.

KC is 3rd, 2 points ahead with 1 games in hand.

We better start putting points on the board with some wins. If we can't take advantage of playing New England, who are a bad team and are playing on short rest, then that is not a good sign. It's bad enough we couldn't beat Chicago.

13. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hans seems to think 5 out of 9 will be enough but honestly with the form that DC and KC are in I'm not even sure that will do it.

14. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are the RB going to win 5 games now if they have won 6 in the last 25?????
    My bet is we don't make it, DC have 2 games more than us, so as of now we really are out of the playoffs.
    Marquez in Chivas would be great, Ballouchy in Chivas would be great.

15. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

Been optimistic and happy with a mediocre team for 16 years has been our mistake, actually like always something very wrong is with the team and I don't think is the players individually, is the whole tamale that is putrefied and we don't have to eat it and pretend that everything is OK, at the same time we have to make noise until the administration fix all this Dem thing....

16. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    I love this quote. Simple, logical and to the point.

Of course things do change, sometimes suddenly and seemingly without reason. So there's always hope RB will get things sorted. But to expect the team to all of a sudden streak into the playoffs, well........

17. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately with this franchise, more than a few things...

I am not optimistic of making the playoffs. The team (with an exception or two) has played with zero testicular fortitude and I fail to see how this turns around on a dime.

I guess the answer is one game at a time and focus on beating the Revs for now

18. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think were going to pull of some consecutive wins now or we just draw our selves into 16th place..

08/20 @New England Revolution - 7:30 pm -- Win
    08/28 Los Angeles Galaxy - 7:00 pm -- Tie
    09/10 Vancouver Whitecaps - 7:30 pm -- Win
    09/17 FC Dallas - 8:30 pm --tie
    09/21 Real Salt Lake - 8:00 pm -- Loss
    09/24 Portland Timbers - 7:30 pm --Tie
    10/01 toronto FC - 7:30 pm --Win
    10/15 sporting Kansas City - 4:00 pm --win
    10/20 Philadelphia Union - 8:00 pm --Win

18 points?? This schedule isn't difficult.. Every game is winnable

19. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well another tie doesn't help much. We have to hope for some other results to go our way. We couldn't beat Chicago or New England and we still need a lot of wins to reach Backe's goal of 45 points.

20. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    At this point the most realistic outcome to expect is that the Red Bulls will beat Chicago to the record book for most draws in a single season.

21. LESTER

LESTER New Member

Nov 4, 2002
    NYC
    Sounds like a trophy to me!!

22. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL did us no favors by losing to Houston last night.

23. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Win over Portland puts us in playoff position.

Games left against TFC, Philly, KC, and LA.

TFC next week is obviously a must win game. They are mediocre and a team we should beat.

Maybe we can catch a break and LA can wrap up all they need to wrap up so the game against us is not all that important.

At KC will be really tough and Philly to close out the year. It could easily come down to that last game.

24. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Mixed bag of results tonight. The DC win is definitely bad for us, as is the Houston win. However, the Columbus loss and the Colorado draw are both good. Also, the KC-Philly draw last night was excellent.

If we're talking playoffs at this point we might as well talk about #1 seed in the East - we are only 3 points behind. It's crazy.

We really need to be gunning for 3 points @ Toronto, especially with the Galaxy game coming so fast afterwards. If we can get 3 points out of those 2 games its tolerable. 4 would be great, 6 would be a dream come true.

25. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another bad result for us. Dallas did us no favors with losing to Colorado.

The scoreboard watch continues. DC-CLB today and I'm not sure what result will help us the most. We should root for Vancouver to get a result against Portland today.

Three games left against 3 good teams.

[​IMG]