The "Why the hell haven't I ever listened to this before?!" thread

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by YanksFC, Jul 29, 2002.

1. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This thread is for music or artists that you wonder why you never listened to until recently.

Mine is Iggy and the Stooges. I have several Iggy Pop solo efforts ("The Idiot," "Lust for Life," "Blah Blah Blah"), but never thought about checking out Iggy's earlier stuff with the Stooges until recently. Legs McNeil's chronical of the '70s New York punk scene, "Please Kill Me," was the impetus for my purchase of Iggy and the Stooges' "Raw Power," as Iggy is prominently featured in McNeil's book. Anyway, I absolutely love the CD and will probably get the Stooges' two other albums.

Your turn.

2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard New Member

Oct 16, 2000
    London
    I'll have to go for David Bowie on this one. I've avoided his stuff for so long because I just can't stand him as a personality. He comes across on TV as a pretentious nerk and his films make me want to retch.

However I started with Hunky Dory and I haven't looked back. His back catalogue being on offer at 3 for £18 hasn't hurt things either.

Top 5 so far:-

Hunky Dory
    Low
    Ziggy Stardust
    The Lodger
    Scary Monsters

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nice thread to start....
    For me I been a big fan of alt-country or whatever the hell its called...But it wasn't to the re-release of the Mekons Fear and Whiskey that i listened to the Mekons. I always hear them lumped into alt-country grandfathers or something like that, but that album is so much more than that. I been playing it to death (much to my roomates chagrin) and need some more mekons, but I don't know where to start. Maybe thats why I never listened in the first place for so long...

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miles Davis. The recent re-issue of Birth Of The Cool has been a revelation.

6. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unrest

I remember my friend having a bunch of Unrest 7" back in junior high and just looking at the covers I didn't think I would like them. 10 years later I decide to pick up Perfect Teeth and I love it. I don't know why I didn't before it's the sort of stuff I would like.

Pixies too. I didn't like Teenage of the Year that much so I didn't think I would like the Pixies. That was silly.

7. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
  8. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    i think flamenco sketches is one of the best songs ever recorded.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got Johnny Cash's "From Folsom Prison" over the weekend and said to my wife, "Why don't I own this man's entire catalogue of music?"

Additionally, I got all of Bill Monroe's reissues on the German label, Bear Family Records for my birthday, and it was the same thing, why did it take me so long to get this?

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    i thought the same thing after i got the "Love, God, Murder" boxset as a gift.

11. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Byrne - Rei Momo

A friend shared this with me about a year ago but it came out in 1989. It's amazing. It has all of the pop sensibilities of The Talking Heads but with a latin groove. Byrne is one talented mofo for being able to so easily shift gears between rock rhythms and latin rhythms while still pumping out the pop.

Murf

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Byrne's latin stuff, but thought I would provide a humorous anecdote about it. I was listening to his version of Maria Lando with a friend from Costa Rica, I asked her what she thought and she said, "The music is good, but his Spanish is terrible...I can't understand much of what he is saying."

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This hasn't happened to me in a while but most recently with Book of Love. Probably the only synthpop act with a female singer to really give the "big guns" of the 80s a run for their money. OK, maybe them and Yaz/Alison Moyet. But Book of Love was American! Pretty impressive.

14. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any of Kim Deal's Bands.

15. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voi Vod

I hadn't thought of them much after hearing Killing Technology, but am very impressed with the recent stuff like Phobos and Negatron. Each album seems to be different.

16. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    He just read that out of a Rolling Stone article with David Bowie.

17. evilcrossbar

evilcrossbar New Member

Jan 19, 2002
    'Sketches from Spain' is actually a great Jazz album.

His most well-known album however, is 'Kind of Blue' (which I believe is the biggest selling Jazz album of all time.

Often that's not a good sign when something is the top selling, but here it's justified.

It's one of the best Jazz albums ever recorded (Miles Davis- trumpet; Julian 'Cannonball' Adderley- alto sax; John Coltrane- tenor sax; Wynton Kelly- piano; Bill Evans- piano; Paul Chambers- bass; Jimmy Cobb- drums).

18. evilcrossbar

evilcrossbar New Member

Jan 19, 2002
    My own relevation was a while back when I listened to 'Joy Division'.

I was never a huge New Wave fan (mostly because I only knew crappy 80s knock offs). 'New Order' (what Joy Division was before the lead singer/songwriter killed himself never cought my fancy.

Joy Division however, is in a class all by itself.

I also just got 'Gang of Four' The Peel Sessions.

19. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob Dylan. I always lumped myself in the "he's a great songwriter but I'd rather hear other people sing his songs" category, but lately, I've been borrowing his old stuff from my boss (huge Dylan fan). I'm still not entirely sold on his voice, but it's pretty interesting to hear the original versions of some of those songs. Plus, I almost like the lesser-known stuff better.

20. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wire. Just got "Pink Flag." Great stuff. Never knew that "Strange" was a Wire original (REM covered the song on "Document," and I always thought it was an REM original) Moreover, Elastica blatantly ripped off "Three Girl Rhumba" when they did "Connection."

21. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marti Jones is an acoustic-style singer married to Don Dixon, who co-produced REM's first EP. I have always loved her first record, Unsophisticated Time, but never got into her second one, Used Guitars. Recently, I decided to put that first record on a tape and put Used Guitars on the extra space. Lo and behold, I discovered that the second one is much better and more timeless than the first one. All these years, it sat on the shelf with little or no listenings and now, I can't get it out of the tape player or off the turntable.

22. Soccerik

Soccerik New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Sigur Ros- latest LP is amazing!

23. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My insertions into this category are as follows:

Steely Dan: Got the box set as a gift, liked the singles before, love the whole catalogue now. "Gold Teeth Pt. 2" probably my fave.

Nick Drake: What a talent...one of the few things I can thank Volkswagen (and commercial advertising) for. Bryter Later and Pink Moon are incredible albums!!

David Gray is another guy I plan on buying more of his music.

24. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    I picked up a Sandie Shaw greatest hits cd for a dollar this weekend. Really cool stuff.

25. dcsiouxfan

dcsiouxfan New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Warrenton, VA
    You gotta listen to Fun House. I had friends who couldnt stay in the room when it was on, it was so intense.