The "What can we do better?" thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RobbHeineman, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    yes, and yes. market the crap out of Jimmy. he's been getting tons of press coverage lately on ESPN, he captained the squad against Denmark...the goal against Mexico was fantastic...the MLS.net podcast/radio show was great stuff, he has a great personality....for now, there isn't another on the roster that should be the face of the Wizards.

man-crush? maybe a little bit...don't tell my wife...

2. wizards girl

wizards girl New Member

Dec 19, 2004

i totally agree.
    we should have him in like el capitano arm band this season. seriously.

and maybe this time dempsey will think twice about throwing that gay elbow of his.

3. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    I forgot one, IMO , very good suggestion. MARKET OUTSIDE OF THE KC METRO AREA! I did not miss a home game in the first two seasons, and I lived in Columbia! The league was attractive because I had just recently graduated high school and missed my high school playing days. More importantly, as a college student I could afford tickets to the game when compared to other pro sporting events. As a fan, I brought anywhere from 2 to 3 car loads of college kids that had never even played soccer to almost every game. They went because it was cheap and something different to do. I highly recommend you put the word out to all of the fraternities and sororeties in the area, and cut them deals on group tickets. Many colleges have frat soccer leagues, get in touch with the organizers and cut league members a deal to get them to come out. Folks in central Missouri are used to making day trips to Royals, Cardinals, Rams, Chiefs, and Blues games....so put the word out state wide and ask them to attend Wiz games as well.

4. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here's something that i'm sure you all at ongoal are already focused on. i think i'm pretty much past caring about getting rid of the wizards moniker. it wouldn't be the absolute worst thing to keep. however, if the name is kept, the shield needs to be changed so it becomes the face of this club.

a shield or a crest... NOT a logo. i can't stress this enough.

i want it to show the class of the club, not describe a wizard. it needs to have an appearance of regality about it. maybe use a family crest, or coat of arms, as a starting point.

5. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    agreed. or, you could still be known as the wizards, but have the crest be more focusing on "Kansas City" ...think about Liverpool's crest where Liverpool is the obvious main focus, and then they have "you'll never walk alone" ...I guess have a look at their crest and you'll see what I'm talking about.

6. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, that's my point... although i guess i left that part out. if you decide to keep the name 'wizards,' i'm probably not gonna fight that much. but the new crest should not be about the wizards. it should be about kansas city and its soccer club.

7. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    stop Taking This Thread Off Topic. Of Any Threads, This One Will Be Heavily Moderated. We Want Robb To Listen To Our Ideas Without Having To Read Through A Lot Of Chit Chat

8. Onsides

Onsides New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Lawrence
    I would also, if I may, suggest to Mr. Robb Heineman that regardless of what individual fans may state as their opinion, It appears to me that the common denominator on this board is support. Some say keep the Wizards name, some say change. Some would like new uniforms, others enjoy the classic we have. I suppose through debate, the message is that people will go just short of fisticuffs on a message board for the team they all consider 'theirs'. That is what fan support is all about. Whatever the outcome of future decisions, remember who is fighting for the Wizards, right down to trim on a kit.
    (P.S. to mod: I don't see anyone going astray of topic yet, chill).

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Thanks for the input. One point though, the thread doesn't appear to be off topic because some posts were removed. I'm chilled, don't you worry about that. Keep in mind that to the naked eye a thread may look fine, but posts may have been moved/editted that you didn't see. The people whose posts were moved know who they are, if it wasn't you don't worry about it.

Robb- The coverage of the team is awesome so far. We like reports about what the guys are doing off the field. I gets really boring if all the information we're given is score, lineup, cards, etc. Stuff like what the guys are doing in their free time is awesome.

10. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    More Good and Bad, but this time out of the current online Wizards store.

GOOD - The KC wordmark is the prominent feature. simple. clean. Not going to make me run out and buy it, but I would hardly be embarrassed to wear this around town.
    [​IMG]

BAD - The logo/cheesy soccer ball are the prominent features. I will never wear anything with a cartoony black and white soccer ball. I gave it up with orange slices and Ladybugs when I turned 10.
    [​IMG]

11. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think this hoodie is a good example of why we need a crest...the font is definietly "Wizards," but only for those in the know. A recognizable symbol (i.e. crest) that doesn't bring back the "orange slices and ladybugs" feelings would be a really good step in having somthing that better promotes the club. And it doesn't have to try to be something it's not...it could be a more modern looking crest...sorry to be a "homer"...but for example, arsenal's crest.

I think the current rainbow logo is a little immature for my liking...sorry to beat this point into the ground.

12. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have this hoodie, and anybody that doesn't already recognize that it is a Wizards shirt doesn't understand that I am a Wizards fan. I am actually considering putting a logo on it with a t-shirt transfer kit. We still need a crest or shield of some kind, preferably something with a soccer ball in it.

13. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I agree it maybe needs a bit more to identify it as the Wizards ideally, but I was shocked to see non-jersey Wizards gear I'd actually consider buying.

I probably would have bought it had it been all white with blue adidas stripes and blue lettering, like the away jersey.

14. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought about buying that hoodie and I probably would if it had Wizards on it someway. Adding something is a good idea though.

15. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I'll spare the essay for the sake of the thread. Feel free to move this mods.

We only need a unique design. People aren't morons. If the team is really going to be here for the next 20+ years, potential Wizards fans and most Kansas Citians are going to recognize the logo.

The aim should be to design something recognizeable that embodies the image the club is trying to put forth.

If you can design a logo that looks classy with a big Telstar in it, great, but it shouldn't be a requirement as a football wasn't for the Chiefs.

[​IMG]

16. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Seattle Sounders thread gave me another thing.

Get us some friendlies with European club teams. I would love to see some EPL sides here in KC.

17. MidfieldWizard

MidfieldWizard New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Midtown KC
    Agreed. Why does it seem so outrageous to offer up the idea of EPL teams playing in the U.S./MLS? Although we (U.S.) would be gaining the better half of the meeting, wouldn't it serve the Premiere league teams the same sort of training benefit? I think this would also be fun/beneficial against A league, and Serie A. The MLS will only grow to the European standards if given the chance to play against those teams. Plus, U.S. vs. Australia, in a new tournament, seems like a made-to-be-classic match up.

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did say at the Season ticket holder party back in December that they were working on that part.

19. marniman

marniman Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Chicago Fire fan here, Josh Wolff fan as well, this is a GREAT Idea, I would love to see this at Toyota Park

20. jdoppel

jdoppel Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ive always thought there should be two ongoing tv ads. one featuring the greatest, hardest, most violent tackles/fouls in our history and also including moments of selfless abandon, like Mo in 2000. Then there should be one with our greatest goals and celebrations. The first is to show the passion, intensity, and physicality of the play in MLS, and the other is to show the joy of goal-scoring. Instead, in the past, we have seen ads in which there is no soccer actually being played, or in which they are really showing who is playing and not how they are playing.

21. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also include great goalkeeper saves and defensive plays as well, maybe include it as part of the "selfless abandon" portion of the video.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is something that is mostly out of the control of the ownership, but get the US Men's team here to play a game.

23. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I am sure this is something they could bid for or atleast request.

24. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    The best we can hope for is a game in the hex, in our new stadium.

25. Puddleduck01

Puddleduck01 New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    I think what you can and should do better is marketing to families. I saw several posts that say they thought the Zard card looked amatur, and one that wanted more adult themed. But, the kids are the future of soccer in America - not the adults. The Zard card brought many mini vans full of kids to see the Wizards play that wouldn't have come if the ticket hadn't been so affordable. There are more and more cars of teenagers pulling into the lot & going to games without adults. This age & below is where your future is. I am very disapointed about your ticket pricing for the Sept 27 game. I was planning a club wide event for this game. We probably would have pulled in 50 - 100 people. After hearing about your ticket pricing for that one game I have changed my mind. There is no longer a club wide event planned. We aren't going to feed the greed (I understand you need the revenue badly, but that's not the way to get it). You lost out on quite a few tickets, not to mention food items & memorabilia sales. Do better in the future - help the families out there make the choice of coming to a Wizards game or going to to a movie an easy choice by making it affordable for the kids to "drag" their parents there. Thanks for keeping the Wizards here, I am looking forward to a great season.