The "What can we do better?" thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RobbHeineman, Feb 13, 2007.

1. thewizrule

thewizrule New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    OP, KS
    My bad i ment to say one of the biggest, just rushing to write eveything down.

2. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the things I always respected about Chicago was that they took the Open Cup seriously. It's a competition that KC's won and that a lot of die-hard fans want to see us win again. The consensus in the Open Cup forums (fora?) here at Big Soccer seems to be that even casual fans or non-fans love the idea of a tournament where lower division and amateur clubs get to play, and sometimes even beat, professional sports teams, but that they've never heard of it, or have heard the name "Open Cup" but don't know what anything about it. (That is of course a biased assessment based on anecdotal evidence.) I'd like the Wizards to take these games seriously, both on and off the field. I'm glad to see the April 18th game is on the online schedule

I think that if/when we draw the Menace in the Open Cup again that that game is special. I've sat next to people at Wizards games who'd driven down from Iowa--normal league games, not USWNT double-headers where half the crowd doesn't stay for the MLS game because they've got a long drive back to Iowa. Competitively a Wizards/Menace game might not be very important, but it's a chance for the people in Iowa who are fans of both the Wizards and the Menace to see them play one another, and a chance for the Wizards to do something in what might not be their core geographic market, but what is (barring expansion) part of their extended geographic market.

I think playing some pre-season or exhibition games in small-but-nearby cities like St. Joseph, Joplin, Lawrence or Topeka might win some fans over. IIRC we've played games like this in Springfield against SMS, but I have no idea how successful those games were. But basically places so far away that people might not make the drive to give MLS a chance, but not that much of a drive for people who've given MLS a chance and decided they liked it.

As far as shirt sponsors go, I don't think there's much that would really embarass people the way Virgin did Crystal Palace fans. I'd rather see "Kansas City" across the front of my jersey than "Guinness" or "Boulevard" (the "cool" sponsors that don't make much sense moneywise), but I'd rather see the front say "Applebee's" or "Cheetos" and know that the team is making money off the sponsorship deal.

3. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Just wanted to quickly point out that washington wizards stuff sells quite well and they have great attendance. (Of course most of us fans still wish they were called they bullets) Maybe that's an idea, flip flop it, be the Kansas City Bullets!! :)

4. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm a dc fan (and originally from that area) so I can't offer too much advice on KC. However, I did want, as a soccer fan, to thank you Robb for taking the time to ask the fans opinion. Too often in sports, the ownership of teams tend to forget that they only reason that they have a business is b/c of the fans. It is great to see you guys take an interest. (BTW could you mention you are doing this to DC's people when you run into them??)

5. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Sound- as has been said, NO SOUND DURING THE GAME!!! As a supporters section we have been told over the years that the organization wants and loves our sound (when we aren't cursing ;) ). If that was so true, then why was it so hard for HSG to not figure out how to not play some stupid sound bite over our chants? I guess, in short, don't let dumb people run your production. I know it should go without saying, and I appologize if some people still work there and are reading this, but it's true. HSG even placed a guy in front of our section to coordinate with us, and we STILL got sound played over the top of us.

Pre-game- The tunnel last year started what we need to do. The stadium, and I realize this is hard in Arrowhead, needs to be a built up ball of energy just before the Wizards run onto the field. Pick the right music, shoot confetti/streamers into the air, etc. Get creative, but pump the crowd up.

Target group- I know it's been said, but it's very important. Market to people our age. The funny thing about the marketing strategy of going after children is that you have to go after their parents to get them there. Sure, don't forget the family, give them discounts just like most organization do. But market to the 18-45 year old crowd. They have kids, and will bring them.

Educate your staff- We've run across this a lot with security in our section. But over the years every level of HSG and their game day production crew showed ignorance toward their own procedures. People need to know the details. Half the time it was the fault of the organization for simply not communicating the topic to their staff. Post a memo, send an email, hold someone accountable. Do what you have to do, but the next time I have to deal with a highly uneducated Wizards staffer my head might explode. It's tough to get return customers if first time customers encounter uneducated and unhelpful staffers.

Media- No more corny TV and radio commercials. I realize you're on a budget, but some of the stuff in recent years was comical. It's hard to be seen and treated and "legitamate" if you don't present yourself in a legitamate way. If there are ways to influence the amount of press you get, specifially on talk radio and in The Star, get it done.

Sign a name- Get someone on the field for the Wizards who regular people have heard of. Eddie Johnson doesn't count. Outside of the casual soccer fan, no one knows who he is. This may be difficult, but I think it's important.

Win- it's a no brainer, but we gotta get back to winning. Missing the playoffs when 66% of the league makes it doesn't say much for a team. Casual fans notice this stuff. Us die hards would be there even if we were terrible (I remember 1999 and 2001), but the people you're trying to get to the games aren't die hards. They're bandwagoners, people who want to watch a winner. These are the same people who've stopped going to Royals and Chiefs games due to a lack of success. And it looks like the Royals might be turning things around, so you might want to "steal" some fans while you can because they are after all your main opponent in getting the peoples summer entertainment dollar. It may sound cold hearted, but you want Average Joe KC to be thinking "Well, I want to take the family out some time, I'm on a budget though. I heard the Wizards are winning a lot and man the Royals suck again this year. Let's go to the Wizards game."

Keep listening to the fans- We've wanted a conversation like this for a long time. As you probably know, Peter Wilt had great success using this tool to reach the fans in Chicago. You have no idea how much this means to the fans that don't get much interaction with the front office.

Road Trips- We are getting to where we can consistently get 30 people to at least one road trip per season. We are more than willing to travel to Dallas, Chicago, Columbus or Denver. We pick games that are on Saturdays, because that helps the most people not have to use vacation for the trip. They can make it a quick weekend getaway.
    Help us put these together. Right now the average fan that goes on one of these trips spends between $100-$150 at a minimum. Some spend more because they choose to fly. If the organization adds the convenience of driving the fan to the game and people don't have to pay for a hotel room, you'd get a lot of people involved. I am not stretching to say we could fill a bus. You have to plan for these early, and get the word out because people plan their vacationing dollar well in advance.

6. WingsFan

WingsFan Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Suburban Wichita
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look into playing a preseason, exhibition game in Wichita. If you advertised it and played at Cessna Stadium on WSU's campus, I think you could get a decent turnout. Plus, if the Wizards end up with a stadium in Kansas, travel time for Wichitans would be 30ish minutes shorter each way then it is currently. I'm not sure how big of a fan base you could get from a city three hours away, but Wichita is the biggest city in Kansas.

Along the same line, perhaps work out some kind of deal with a hotel chain that a ticket stub would get a discount on a room that night. I know it would be nice to come up to a game, enjoy the tailgate, cheer on the Wizards, and then get a good rate on a hotel room for the night.

7. patodonnell39

patodonnell39 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    On to other things...

-Don't put the stadium in Gardner or Desoto or somewhere like that. Olathe, Bannister, near the Speedway would be much better. Put plenty of highway access. Make it near something else to do, basically. It sucks going to Royals/Chiefs games with nothing to do before or after.

-It's been said, but the advertising for the team needs to improve big time. It's hard to take our team seriously when our ads look like local used car commercials.

-Also been said, but get a highlights show on Metro Sports. To have Metro Sports not feature the Wizards is pretty ridiculous. They do some stuff, but they could play classic Wizards games, have more interviews, etc.

-Advertise to the Latin community. Don't advertise to kids. They don't buy the tickets, their parents do. So, advertise to the kid's parents.

8. jdoppel

jdoppel Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont understand the boring jersey comment. i think our best jersey was the 2000 version. simple blue with white adidas highlights. i prefer the all one color with just white accents. I like the color blue we have, though my wife doesnt.

I think we can make a lot of changes to our merchandise and advertising, but i would not change the basic idea of our jerseys. Having said that, the t-shirts, hats, stickers, etc. really need to change. They look like they are made for children only. Get us a black t-shirt with the KC wizards logo on it, or something simple. what we have now are these big white shirts with crap all over them... a rainbow here, a soccer ball there, etc. its very lame. if you are going to focus group merch, then make sure at least some of the focus group is over 15 and under 60.

9. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mod Note: Editing existing posts as we speak. I will leave content relative to topic and instruction posted earlier. The Jersey debate stuff will be removed. If you want to hash it out, create a new thread on your own, I will remove those comments from this thread as that is exactly the debate portion of this that has gone awry at the moment.

(Update, posts moved to a specific debate/discussion thread)
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482581

10. KC outlaws

KC outlaws New Member

Sep 5, 2006
    O-Town

NEW MASCOT!

I understand that for things related to marketing, public appearances and stuff like that it's important to have a mascot that is fun, attractive to kids, and presents the club is a positive way. I feel it is time for Dynamo/Chopper/Big Green to be shown the door. TIME FOR A NEW MASCOT! Our mascot doesn't have much (any) tradition, people are confused as to what his (her?) real name is, and personally how does a green dragon make a positive impression on the Wizards?

Keep the dragon identity, that would be fine. Maybe a redesigned blue dragon, maybe a knight, or maybe something else. Maybe later I'll come up with a better idea but until then I think the Wizards need a new mascot.

11. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That doesnt need to be restricted to the Cauldron. Our group tries our best to get new people out to games all the time. I think every season we have gotten a good chunk out for their first Wizards experience and I think that is something we will continue being successful at. Having promo material would help that out. I think this is a good idea.

12. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POST the schedule. Do free posters with players and the schedule.

The schedule on refridgerator magnets, would be a good reminder for kids and families to get to a game. Give them away.

13. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    \

I forgot about fridge magnets. I think that is a great marketing tool. Everytime someone goes to their fridge they are reminded of when the next Wizards game is.

14. patodonnell39

patodonnell39 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    I couldn't agree more with this. Especially with the rainbow being nixed. (I think it's heading that way anyway...but still.)

15. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Thirded. Every piece of merchandise should be about making the organization look like class first.

Good - I actually can't stand Notre Dame or UCLA, but they're good examples of American sports brands that are centered on a timeless look and clean design.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Bad - Basically any "commemorative" championship t-shirt is the exact opposite design of what Wizards gear should look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. fulton

fulton New Member

Sep 30, 2005
    I'll keep my suggestion simple. In keeping with the theme of marketing to adults, I'd like to see the team walkout have a little more pageantry. Instead of the human tunnel full of screaming kids, I'd recommend the more traditional walkout that one sees in a national team game or overseas professional game. Those exude class.

If the organization could afford to outfit kids in replica jerseys (Wizards' home and away, maybe?) that would be fine, but otherwise kids and their parents should stay off the field.

(And I say this as someone who participated in the human tunnel with his kid several times.)

18. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if a team is volunteered to be the human tunnel, you'll probably get all the team, parents and siblings to the game!

That's part of the idea with team participation, ball boys, cheerleaders, group tickets. Get large groups there, and try to get them to come again.

19. fulton

fulton New Member

Sep 30, 2005
    As the person being "marketed" to, I understand why the Wizards had the human tunnels. (Note to marketing staff: you had me at the word "soccer.") On the other hand, image counts for a lot and the human tunnel projects an image that isn't exactly world class, which is a phrase that I'm hearing about OnGoal.

I just would like to see the various promotions not detract from the product and the experience. A clever person who is familiar with game day operations could probably figure out a way to entice the sorts of luke-warm fans (parents and siblings of youth players) without impacting the image. For instance, maybe they could allow a limited number of coaches/players on the edge of the field for warmups. That would be pretty cool for the kids and I would think a number of parents would want to be there to see it.

One final note: I meant to mention this earlier, as a long-time lurker, this has been the best thread in a long, long time. Very interesting reading what others would like to see done.

20. patodonnell39

patodonnell39 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Definately the best thread I've seen.

21. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I totally agree with this

On a side note, I don't think you need the FIFA Fair Play anthem. I actually like hearing it when the teams come out for international games, but that song would wear thin if you have to hear it every week.

22. Masfaygo

Masfaygo Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Kansas City
    something that have been talked about before was maybe a sign at the top of the section to let people know what they are walking into. i recall someone posted a sign that new england had (if someone could repost that so Robb can see it).

23. wz187

wz187 Member

Aug 30, 2006
    1) Fans make the commerical contest like what a few companies did during the Super Bowl.

2) If Spain comes calling for EJ again, let him go and get someone who cares. Don't EVER let Conrad go, expecially not to Norjshhddskssocks.

3) Market to soccer players that are not kids. I can't tell you how many friends I have that play soccer, expecially indoor, but never go to to Wizards games. Perhaps something like free tickets to games for a team that wins a league. Most guys I play with will buy enough beer to equal the cost of the free ticket. And yes, I try myself to get them to come.

4) No sound during game (only Papa John's was anything close to ok).

5) Show soccer at the stadium. Nothing gets fans fired up like seeing soccer and hearing big crowds chear. Whether it is pregame in the stadium or pregame outside on temp screens, show soccer goals being scored. I could watch Jimmy scoring against Mexico another thousand times and it would still give me chills.

6) Home and Away tournament with our sister city in Spain. We could get free advertisement from KC on this. Lets do something with Seville.

7) Help get St. Louis a team so we have someone closer than DC or LA that we can hate.

8) Wynalda v. Bruce cage match simulation when we play the Red Bulls.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this idea, and it was something that was discussed with Curt Johnson a bit last season. That was, have something on the video board before the game rather then commercials. This may be more of a league level thing, but something like the MLB and the Royals do with "the week in baseball" sort of thing. Have highlights from games in the last week or so, an interview highlighting one of the players, (for instance later something about Groenwald and his dealing with the blood clots sort of thing).

25. Onsides

Onsides New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Lawrence
    I had just just become swept up in Wizards madness at the end of last season and drove in from Lawrence to watch the game. So I can only suggest from that perspective. The one game I cheered with the Cauldron was great. Inside of that section, it seems like your at a huge game full of crazy cheering fans. But when you look to the rest of the stadium, it sort of breaks the mystique. If there was any one thing to bring the Wizard's experience to a higher level, it would be atmosphere. I want to feel like I'm at the kind of game that the Cauldron section makes it. Anything to get the fans outside the Cauldron get up and support their team would be tops. Please help the fan organizations become a more vital part of the Wizard's experience for everyone. (And new shield)