The week the A-League out drew MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Throwins, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Throwins

Throwins Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Around the Puget Sound
    Seattle 25,000
    Rochester 11,000
    Montreal 7,200
    Portland 7,600
    Minnesota 7,500
    everyone else at probably 2,000 to 3,000, not bad for the minor leagues.

Yes I know Seattle will go back to Memorial and average 2,400, but who knows?

2. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    How did Seattle draw 25k? Does Rochester usually draw 11k?

3. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seattle opened Seahawks Stadium against their Vancouver rivals.

Rochester usually get 9,000-11,000. They were playing Montréal on a Friday night here (top of the division rivalry). Montréal just drew a lot of people for a regular game against no one special (Hampton Roads). Portland usually gets crowds of 4,000-6,000 and Minnesota's game opened the State Cup Final or whatever.

Friday's Impact-Riverhounds game in Québec City will surely also attract 7,000+.

4. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    Is that the official name of the stadium?? the "seahawks" stadium. I read several articles back when it was being proposed and back then it was officially being refered as a public funded "Footall-Soccer" stadium.

5. soccer4ever

soccer4ever New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    USA
    The A-League has come a long way.

6. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For now, it is "Seahawks Stadium"

7. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amusingly enough the A-League didn't pull off the feat THIS week, either:

MLS: 9 Games
    Total: 124,990
    Avg: 13,888

A-League: 17 Games
    Total: 98,244
    Avg: 5,779

Anyway, this was a good week for the A-League even without the crowd in Seattle. No one under 1K and Claude Robbilard is hoppin' again. Must be a baseball strike coming or something...

8. Throwins

Throwins Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Around the Puget Sound
    You have to use selective week within a week to tweek results.

9. Preston McMurry

Preston McMurry New Member

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    I fondly remember the day (several years ago) Milwaukee had 6,000+ and outdrew the Brewers, who were playing in Milwaukee at the same time.

p.s. - The A-League doesn't have the opportunity to artificially prop up "their" attendance numbers with national-team duoble-headers, or exhibition double-headers featuring famous foreign teams ...

10. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post.

11. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Gonna get better when we move up too! :)

12. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    Well i must say "famous" is not the right word to me... when (full squads) Bayern München, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus (and others) take the trip to USA i will retreat my word

13. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Leverkusen and Newcastle has come over in the past and Man United is coming for their pre-season tour next summer. The name recognition of those clubs alone attracts fans, even if only 4-6 first team starters play.

14. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia

Well leverkusen is a "new" big team... we must see if leverkusen is so big in the next 5 years..

newcastle is big... but not a big as someones think... its a middle-big (i don't know if that "word"exists but what the heck)

well if Man U is comming i have to say congratulations.... but it takes more than one really big team to get the things better....

15. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Oh yeah, Bayern Munich came last year. But they were still drunk when they played the Metros. But it was still the first game they played as European Champions, which can be viewed as a big drawing card. Hell, anytime the reigning European Champions come over for a game, it's big, even if they haven't stopped drinking since they won the final.