The VWFC list of things

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    henryo repped this.
  2. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    henryo repped this.
  3. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    "2" bad... :p

4. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Why is your signature promoting a blog without a post in 4 years.

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    in the next 5 games, each player will show his colors as to whether or not he can adapt to the coaching changes and be proud to wear the blue and white; we can ascertain with 95% accuracy that MDS is the next head coach and my guess is that he will watching in some nook at the LA stadium on saturday

time to evaluate which players he wants to keep, which players he must keep due to contracts and what positions he wants to fill

there are a host of players whose contracts are ending as of december 31, 2018- shea, marinovic, rowe, emnes, franklin, henry, hurtado, kamara, ghazal, mezquida, mutch (a loan player), reyna—

for me, the only ones that should be resigned to 1 year plus an option are kamara and henry with reyna riding a bubble because of his sometimes flakey attitude, and aly ghazal who is steady but not flashy; hurtado and mezquida are professional fringe, but loyal, players, but does loyalty really count during a rebuild?

not sure about martins, maund, techera; we do know that waston is signed until december 31, 2019; blondell is signed until december 31, 2020 (YIKES!!); and efrain juarez is signed until december 31, 2019, but the club is allowed to buy out 1 contract/year and it should be him

so the new head coach will have some major decisions to make over the next 2 months and prepare a team with a 50% turn-over

the good news is that he will have a budget- in IMO- of $6-7 mill USD (MLS salary pots from players not resigned, plus new money from the davies transfer)- the Caps will have the budget move from $8.2 mill for 2018 to close to $13 mill USD for 2019 which should push them into the top 8 spenders in MLS (they are #16 for 2018)

the owners might finally be getting it right for a great soccer market— lets hope so !!

6. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    thanks for resurrecting a 4 year old thread

7. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I didn't even know it existed. LMAO.

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    its alive and ready to go::

i think 2019 is a major rebuild for the new coaching team... and for some strange reason, i think the Caps' owners- due to the davies' money- will give the coach a budget between $12-13 mill USD, which will be $3-4 mill above the MLS money pots- of course, i would like to see more forthcoming, like $5-6 mill extra

as we have seen is some markets, a team can make a significant jump in 1 year if done properly and with a supreme team leader like an ibra or a rooney or a villa

what positions need to be filled ??

9. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Start at the very back: I want to see a serious evaluation at keeper.

10. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Yeah, at the time , I thought "hey, got a guy many years younger, half the price, just entering his prime"; not a bad plan.

But the Baldwin curse struck again.

Didn't work out, they will have to go shopping. He should be replaced in the off season for sure.

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    from GlassCity:

"34% of 578 votes said they’ve given up their season tickets. If that were projected on to the full season ticket base, a 34% loss would be something like 4000 people giving up their tickets."

if that holds and increases across the full membership, it would mean the Caps are dropping $2 mill (5 000 x $400 for a season ticket package) on STs and over 5 000 STHs- WOW!!! how stupid can this ownership group be ??

all they have done to improve this Club is sign cavallini- until i see dajome play, i cant evaluate, but i just hope its not like a bangoura or venuto; oswasu, a new signing from the israeli league, as a DMF, doesnt give me much hope that he will be any better than the departed erice

this is a weak Club, especially in the worst MF in MLS-- MDS says they are looking at a new CB, MF and Striker-- which means twiddling your thumbs- they only have about $2,5 mill left in their MLS salary pots so another 2-3 mediocre players might come, but don't expect anything substantial to say this Club and its owners are really changing - the owners are still rutted into not paying any salary from their substantial pockets - their wallets are doing wedgies

hell, i can say i am looking at growing new hair on my shiny dome, but its just rhetoric- aint happening!!

the owners figure they have done enough to keep the STH base, but if GC's survey has substance- and i think it does- their dog and pony, smoke and mirror show isnt registering

attendance average will be in the 17 000-18 000 range, a drop of about $4 mill over the course of 17 games

its the old adage- IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY, YOU HAVE TO INVEST MONEY

this is a non-playoff team at this point and I see no reason to invest in STs after 41 years of doing so- HOW ABOUT YOU ?

12. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ah they sucked me back in because I really would miss going to games. I give them praise for at least bringing in better FO managers and spending their Davies money on an actual star player

I give them the same scorn as I have for years when it comes to Greg Kerfoot. The numbers seem to say that he still has spent the minimal dick all of his own money on players (davies money paid transfer fees, and Cavallini is bought down with TAM so he isn't on the hook for more than a few hundred grand to a million it seems; which is par for the course).

it still starts at the top. And Christy Clarke's landlord/former landlord is still the cement ceiling this organization will have to deal with.

13. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Old Fan- it still starts at the top. And Christy Clarke's landlord/former landlord is still the cement ceiling this organization will have to deal with.

HUH!! why drag her into the Kerfoot portfolio?? what are you saying here ????

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    it still starts at the top. And Christy Clarke's landlord/former landlord is still the cement ceiling this organization will have to deal with.

HUH!!??

15. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    mr kerfoot was her landlord , may still be .... just using some humor by calling him christys landlord

why the concern ?

16. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    He didn't get the reference (neither did I) until you explained it. LOL. Good one.

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    what opposites!! one relishes the limelight, and the other relishes the shadows

18. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    yeah she moved into a home he owned in the westside of Vancouver while premier. I think she moved because some protester showed up at her home or something like that. He was one of her top donors so I wouldn't be surprised if she got free rent but nobody dug around for that (although Bob Mackin did some digging as he always does! One of the last independent diggers out there). The word in the neighbourhood was he visited the house a lot more than a landlord usually would so his influence over policy may be more than we think. Billionairres often get a lot of personal visits with leaders. No idea if she still lives there as nobody cares now that she is out of politics (for now:p)

19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    while I dislike CC to the nth degree, her personal life is her business and rumors are not fair game

PS if its true, it does give me insight as to why GF is a lousy Whitecap owner