The villanization of the Mexican player

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Deleted USer, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    The Puzzler

This is an interesting but far from simple phenomenon. And your statement betrays your thoughts. The people you are discussing are Americans, which team is "their national soccer team"? The answer must be the USMNT. Yet they do not support their national soccer team. Clearly they feel no attachment to the USMNT, I suspect that this reflects on their relationship to their country (USA). Sad really, to feel like a foreigner in your own country. Isn't it better to live somewhere that feels like home OR make where you live your home.

2. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Re: The Puzzler

I suspect you're really presumptuous. You could say "America, love it or leave it" in fewer words. We're not here to define our ideas of identity and "home" to your satisfaction.

3. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    how is it playing the ball when the keeper already had control of it? If the player slid and saw the keeper had control, why extend the legs further?

I understand that a player can mistime a tackle, but you can still ease off by bending you leg and ease the contact. That didnt happen. He went in there with intent.

Those type of incidents that go unnoticed by inadequate officiating, will result in some sort of retaliation either by harder play or confrontations.

I dont know about the play from yesterday since I didnt see it, but if its a case of a player is down and faking or to kill time, it is VERY common for the opposing player to approach the player on the ground and give him a slight push with his ankle. Is it wrong? Yes Is it unsportsmanlike? Yes Is it an unwritten rule to do such? Yes Why? because if an official sees that you get up in a heartbeat to confront the player that pushes you, the official knows you are faking and will be hesistant to call the next time against your team.

But again, I didnt see it. And when i went in the other thread, EVERYBODY all ready posted as if they saw it...

4. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have long been a fan of the Mexican national team because players like Hugo Sanchez and I will never forget seeing the goal by Manuel Negrete in the 1986 World Cup. I cheered for them to beat Germany then. I cheered for them in 1994 when they lost in PKs. I cheered for them when their lack of finishing caused them to lose to Germany in 1998. I was pulling for them to beat Colombia in the Copa America in Colombia.

However, I have seen a dark side to many of their players that I have not seen from the US national team players. Luis Hernandez kicking Peter Nowak in the eye when Nowak was on the ground was hideous. Of course this was in a US Open Cup game. Rafa Marquez who is a class player going psycho at the end of the World Cup game. Blanco...well many times. Though Blanco is creative and effective he is also classless. I could name others as well.

The US has not had a player like Luis Hernandez in the cheapness of their fouls. Most Mexican players and I'd say all of the US nats from the past 6 years play hard, tough, and may do some hacking. However there are a few examples that stick out like Luis Hernandez that are giving Mexico a bad reputation. In 5 years it may be that the US ends up with a few cheap shot artists while Mexico plays much cleaner.

I am looking forward to cheering for Mexico in Germany in 2006 and I am even hoping on going to all their first round games that don't conflict with US games. Mexico develops so much talent that it is amazing. However, the Mexican national team from 94 through 2002 has underachieved. They should have been to the QF of the World Cup at least 2 out of the 3 times. There is a lot of pressure on them and losing to the US was more than they could handle. It showed in Korea. Let's just call it as it is and say that Mexico has had a few dirty players recently that have been a blemish on thier squad. If you want to argue that Blanco and Luis Hernandez aren't dirty I guess it is your right, but it is a hard position to take.

The vast majority of Mexican players are clean players like Borghetti (at least I've never seen anything dirty or malicious out of him).

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Once upon a time, US players didn't hack their opponents. We were a nice, sweet team that routinely got their asses handed to them. Now we're damn good at playing dirty. I agree that a lot of US fans on this board are hypocrites. And I readily admit that during the last three or four years v. Mexico, we've outdirtied the Mexicans. And you know what? It feels good. We beat Mexico on the scoreboard AND we make their players writher around in pain on the grass. It's a good time to be in Uncle Sam's Army.

[​IMG]

6. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I suspect that Americans of Mexican orgin will grow to be greater US fans as more US Nationals of Mexican orgin take the pitch, as they become more familiar with national team players in MLS as Chivas and CA USA take the pitch, and as the US continues to become a power in the region. Of course there is still that primary rival thing to overcome... :eek:

7. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I ask myself the same question.

Then I see racist trolls and say to myself "Well, it's better to have a moron as our mod than a racist."

:)

Oh yeah, GO PUNCH RON ARTEST, YOU F3CKIN TROLL~!!@~@~~@!``111

2-0

8. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    With me a big thing is how mexican soccer actually involves passion and when mexico has a big game, even in the mexican community in this country...its big news, most people are talking about it and looking foward to it. yet when you look at american society as a whole, most people dont know who the hell landon donovan is, when they hear soccer-they think man u and rarely is there any talk of soccer on the news or what have you...and as long as mexican games are televised in this country and people keep coming across the border, I think this will continue. I know that my kids are going to be mexico fans regardless of the fact that they were born here...

9. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    Asbestos Suit On

Your suspicion is wrong. What I am is thoughtful. Instead of flaming, why don't you read the entire exchange and see if you can follow the ideas. If you do that you will notice that the question and the underlying idea are quite serious and important issues.

I suspect you will feel silly when you reflect on this.

10. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hmm. I know you!

This might be just an observation, but I was at that match (1-0 goal by Luis, right? Preceded by Brazil vs Trinidad?) and there were 3 "white" USMNT fans directly behind me.

The only 3 I saw in any direction, actually.

To the right of us and about 20,000 sections away, I saw a small contingent of about 100 U.S. fans with flags and the such.

Were you one of those 3?

Heh.

You never know.

11. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Re: Asbestos Suit On

You are much less than thoughtful in what you "suspect" about us than you'd like to believe yourself to be. Your "question" is disingenuous, because you seem satisfied with your own conjecture, and your tone is nauseatingly condescending. Issues of national/cultural identification are real, but I can't imagine why any one of us would be bothered to dialogue about them with you when you seem so satisfied with what you've come up with on your own. Your value judgements of "sad" and "silly" speak louder than any issue you can raise here.
    Again, your suspicions are wrong.

12. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Will this be Styles' new sig? :p

13. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't quote me, boy.

14. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    the bocones/cangrejos crusades are on hold until we fight off the infidels :D

siguenme los buenos

15. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  16. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    why is it that most US footie fans seem to be mindless 15 year old rednecks with no sex in their life?

17. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno what your talking about but I am not a racist stupid mother F3cker go throw your hate somehwere else. Nobody aparently will ever know what I wrote but I can garantee it was far from racist. Nice job Various Styles, keep up the good work. Love your forum...

18. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    you are an oversensative prick. sending a negative rep points nd i hadnt insulted anyone up to that point...

what a bitch.

go rub some vagisil on your sore cu.nt

19. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Off with their heads!

20. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Uh.

Okay.

I quoted you.

Meaning I liked your post.

But, alright.

Keep up the anger.

Like rdl, thanks for the negative rep.

21. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right on! Were so on topic!

22. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Let me try to make peace here.

1) If we as USMNT fans to insult of Mexican Americans, we are insulting our own players, such as Bocanegra, Garcia, Coralles, Memo, Borjas, Burciaga, etc. With the players poplution, we expect Mexican-American players would at least consist 10-20% of our National Team pool. US is about a free choice country, so anyone has the choice to support for any team other than US team. That is not making them less American. Heck, I don't support Bush Administration, that makes me non-American? :>)

2) I don't agree that when Mexican teams are losing, they will try to hurt someone theory. I did see bunch of games Mexican losing (to Argentina few times and of course US few times), but I don't see any bad behaviors out of it except two games. One is in World Cup with the final 10 minutes. I guess that lack of control of emotions took over the few players who lost their composure. But that kind of actions are fully condemed by Mexican fans and medias that called those players not know how win and worst not know how to lose. In the TV, I saw two Mexican fans gave US fans good wish for "go all the way", and also the player that frustrated most--Branco changed his jersey with US player. The second game is the WCQ game in Columbus but I suspected that Mathis started the whole thing.

3) There are always a battle between forwards and defenders with all baiting and retaliations. By comparsing in Europe when a black player keeping hearing N words from his marker or hearing monkey noises from fans or being thrown the banana peels. I don't think this kind of things are worse in our region.

4) All players will learn that one day with one stupidity and one rush of blood, you will cost your team a game. Especially from young players this is a learning process. So don't use a youth team action to generalize a whole class of players.

23. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A strong Mexican team and a strong US team only makes CONCACAF that much more worth while. If Mexico doesn't lose its collective heads when they are doing badly and learn from their mistakes it only makes them stronger. Pretending they don't do anything wrong in the press is denying the negative ever happened. Not shaking hands at the end of games is one sure way to lower the rest of the world's view of your team as sore losers. If you do things honorably and maintain that level of respect then everyone involved is peachy.

24. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have what you posted right here:
    Is this not what you posted? You may not be a racist mother fvcker, but with comments like that you obviously are a troll who was trying to start something big but miserably failed, its ok you angry little troll, if I may say so myself. Just run along now, your presence in this forum is no longer needed.

25. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny though, why am I the only one that had his post erased and everyone else is fine? To be honest there is nothing wrong with what I wrote, this post was started by someone who is trying to convince people on another thread that Mexico hardly does anything wrong in games. In post game reports and comments Adu says he was spit on four times. The ref needed a cop to intervene as he was cornered and pushed by the Mexican squad. The Mexican federation writes in their internet review of the game the penalty was a phantom foul... and then I get Various Styles getting everyone on this board to negative rep me. So now I guess I feel the wrath via internet of the frustrated fans. Also I posted not knowing it was in the Mexico forum because it was the title I clicked on. Had I known I was crossing into no post land I would have avoided it a long time ago. Your all so nice!