The villanization of the Mexican player

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Deleted USer, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    I once asked a U.S. fan if this ever happened. . . A Sams Army fellow. He neither denied nor thoroughly confirmed it.

2. southsideirish71

southsideirish71 New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago
    Its pretty sad when a few typed lines on an internet board can sway the weak minded.

3. Octavius Agustus

Octavius Agustus New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    33RD sTREET
    I'm a Mexican born in Mexico with no US citizenship and I support the USMNT as well as Mexico.

As for the pochos, I kind of understand them. Alot of their whole families are still in Mexico, thus they feel no loyalty to the US.

4. ut8man

ut8man Member

Oct 16, 2004
    The SLC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I support both (gasp!) teams.

5. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    SouthsideIrish. . . . . stop trolling.

Blanquiroja. . . . . . . stop trolling.

6. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Um, okay. I must be stretching when I read comments like:

which in turn inspired a zinger from one of your sympathetic supporters:

Hatred? Actually, yeah, that's what you got. Ignorance? Yup, that too. Stop giving us rational USMNT fans a bad name.

7. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Me too, sort of, not really, a little bit I guess...
    I support the MFL when they play against teams outside of MLS.

8. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Its also pretty pathetic that you get a kick out of wasting your time on the computer talking trash.

9. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    SoulflyTribeFC= a respectable USMNT fan.

10. FGarcia1

FGarcia1 New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    Santa Barbara, CA
    It's equally sad when one takes the time to arouse anger amongst others on an internet message board, by your logic.

Hypocrite, hypocrite, hypocrite. You'll probably never understand this concept.

Good point, STFC. Also, it's quite hard to "melt on in" when every American in the U.S. accuses me of throwing bags of urine on US football players and burning American flags.

Oh, wait--not all of them do. Just like not all Mexicans give a rat's ass about the results of a sub-20 football game.

Your idiocy far surpasses your credibility on these boards. I don't think you're one to be taken seriously, so I'm out now. Besides, anyone with an 8th grade education can see that you're essentially trying to create a feeling of superiority based on one insignificant aspect of life. I can't claim to know you, but if I were a betting man, I'd say you're greatly unsatisfied with life in general and can't find a better way to make yourself feel better.

11. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Levante, why would you want to stop their trolling? This thread was just starting to become interesting and entertaining!

Fight on, I say!!

12. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    Nu-huh he toldz me I not know how to spellz :)

13. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee, Various Styles, I said nothing worse than most of the other posters in this thread yet you chose me as the punching bag... RIGHT ON! If you read most of what I say I always say a strong Mexican team is best for our Conference and our competition. Neg Rep me all you want but its a sad board when the moderators are the ones that are instigating the bad behavior...

14. southsideirish71

southsideirish71 New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago
    Actually I was responding to a guy making a generalization about me being irish so I must be drunk.

The mexican being a landscaper was a sarcastic retort to show how absurd generalizations are. I didnt make the comment to say that mexicans are landscapers. I was showing how his logic was flawed. If I offended someone with that comment it wasnt my intent. I am done posting. But to be fair if I am trolling maybe one of the mods can go retrieve El Cabrito who is doing his own trolling on the USMNT boards.

15. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The views of this individual are not aligned with the views of the rest of the team. (if team means US fans).

This thread is a joke that has decended into racism and stereotyping on both sides.

The lack of support by Americans of Mexican decent is simple. These people simply have a stronger nationalistic identification with their national soccer team than most Americans can comprehend. El Tri are part of the Mexican culture is a way that NO sporting team in America is.

Could you imagine how Americans would act if you rolled all our sports into one and played a couple games a year against whoever Americans would consider thier biggest rival?

I'd love to see more Americans of Mexican orgin become fans of the US National team, (and based at least on the US-Mexico game in Houston, it looks like some are) but whose to get pissed about it? How many people living in this country love soccer, but mainly support non-US National teams?! More than just ex-Mexicans.

Sorry for being so liberal (read: level headed).

16. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Responding to hate with hate is still hate.

17. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well thanks to VS I used to cheer for Mexico in tournaments they were in if the USA wasn't playing... but after his stunt of changing my message I can honestly say cheapshots come in more ways than one, physically and through the internet... how he became a mod is beyond me.

18. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Greddy, you seem to have made up your mind and will not believe anything an American says about this. Others may have more open minds.
    The behavior of the Mexicans fans in Azteca at the US qualifier in 2001 was shameful and outrageous. I personally saw:

1. At least a dozen baggies filled with some kind of yellew liquid fly near me or my wife after the game. They came from the second deck above us. I did not chase one down and check it out. Projectiles were coming from all directions and we were ducking other objects.

2. At least 20 Mexican fans near us on the first deck pull their pants down and moon the American fans.

3. Hundreds, perhaps 300, give us the finger. My wife said more people gave her the finger, looking her right in the eye, than in her entire life combined up to that point.

4. Everything from pieces of concrete to paper cups stuffed with trash raining down on us, hundreds of objects.

5. Lit flares made up of some kind of trash paper bound or tied together, hurled at us. When we huddled under the Baby-Ass Flag to avoid injury, the insane mob threw way more lit flares which set the flag on fire. We stretched it out and shook it to get the flares off and put out the fire so the flag did not burn. Photos of the cordon shield which allowed us to leave have been posted on Big Soccer many times.

I could go on, but thousands of people saw this and it was shown on Mexican TV. Not American TV. You can deny it all you want. I saw it.

19. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    I also had a bunch of stuff thrown on me at the Coliseum at the 1998 Gold Cup final. That stuff happens, plain and simple.

20. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus the flag used for that game is now in the US Soccer Hall of Fame. It may still have the cigarette burns.

21. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Here's my take on why I love being on the US side of this rivalry.

US v. Mexico. Just looking at the stature of the two nations, it looks like David vs. Goliath. The Superpower vs. the Third World County. However, that's not the real picture. This isn't the overpaid, overhyped US Basketball team playing a group of Euros or Argies playing for their country and trying to make their sport something in their country. It is the other way around. The Yanks are the guys playing for love of the game and country. El Tri are like the NBA players. They are wealthy celebrities with millions of adoring fans. The US loves to knock them off because of this.
    All the more satisfying to the US fan is the lack of class shown by El Tri when we beat them. They've made themselves villains in our eyes through cheap shots and refusing to shake hands. From a rivalry standpoint, this actually makes it more satisfying when we win. El Tri shows the US that they hate losing to them so much that they just can't be classy about it.

This has just been my perecption of the rivalry. Of course, not all US players are classy and not all Mex players are SOBs. Other US national teams in other sports have done plenty to embarrass the US before, but our soccer team has sort of been an antithesis of the Dream Teams that always seem to embarrass us.

22. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    pathetic attempt in measuing the degree of each circumstance. Again, you pass one off and magnify the other.

23. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I will call Mexican players that stomp on players or spit on players dirty..that doesn't that I think all Mexican players play that way, for example I've never seen anythign but class from Jared Borghetti and other Mexican National team players. If I saw a Mexican fan throwing Urine or chanting Osama I would also think that fan was classless....that doesn't mean that Mexican fans that I have had good conversations with about soccer are "dirty". You judge players and fans on their actions and don't lump them into a whole collective group and say "all mexicans play dirty and all their fans are classless" because we all know that isn't the case.

24. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is also my take on it, and part of the reason i stopped following the NBA and NHL....

Someone mentioned one of the pics that had a caption on it.....It was i who said something to the extent of "sit, bitch" or something to that effect underneath the pic ....it was wrong on my part, and apologies are in order.....

This is what i read throughout the game's PbP thread, and later mentioned in press releases and fans/player accounts:

-First, a Tri-color kid goes off for hitting someone who was already lying on the ground
    -Protest of a PK result in grabbing, shoving, and insulting the ref.. 2 more kids off for Mexico
    - After the PK scored by Adu (93rd minutes), i read that right after the restart, a US player -Borja (a 16 y/o kid)- has to leave the field injured due to a dirty foul by Parra....

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3631530&postcount=107
    That last one is really what pissed me off the most at the time (and caused my stupid remarks about a pic):
    This is a "friendly": Mexico seems to have lost the game, but does someone have to go off injured because of it? Not to mention the kid is probably three years younger than the guy who injured him... 16-19, it's a big difference...No, it's not a sport for weaklings, but what is done at times in the name of "saving the honor" of the team is pretty dissapointing, not to say disturbing...

-It is after all this that i realize Adu was spit on a bunch of times, racist chants of "monkey" were made at him...and to top it off, the FMF makes the pronouncement that the PK was made up and the ref is extremely biased.... Even if they were (i doubt it, our refs tend to be far more inept than biased, FMF on the other hand :rolleyes: ), i'd like them to mention the negatives and did something to condemn these actions.....These players are also kids (on both sides) and yet it was the Mexican players (some of them) who appeared to have learned the worst aspects of the game judging by last night's events ......

25. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    So who actually saw the match ?