The Vieira thread part 1 - Memories/How good was he/A Legend etc etc

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    My best memory of Paddy, is the little trick he used to do in the centre of the pitch. He would have control of the ball, an opposing player would rush towards him for the tackle, he'd flick the ball almost directly upwards, over their head, go past the player, collect the ball, and start making a run towards the opposing defense, his stride lengthening, and his speed building, with the guy who initially tried to tackle 1/2 the length of the pitch behind within seconds. The crowd sense somethings about to happen and stand up,....

...brilliant

With Petit he was part of the best CM pairing that I've ever seen, the sum was greater than the parts, and the parts were great to start with. Vieira never quite regained that brilliance, even with Gilberto, but for the 9 years at Arsenal, he gave the fans performances that can be argued were the best in the world in his position. Manu fans may well mention Keane, (and Speed? :eek: ) and whilst I wont say that Vieira was better than Keane,I will say that the 2 of them were most certainly the best in the league at their job for a long period of time.

The Arsenal team will miss him, the Arsenal fans will miss him, but lets not forget that opposing teams will miss him too.

So lets hope that Wenger makes them forget him soon, and gives them something else to remember!

Seeya Paddy

2. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not posted much on this subject other than I wanted to wait and see if the Arsenal camp confirmed his transfer. Like many others, I am more upset than I thought I would be given the last few years of drama during the summer. I was really looking forward to singing Vieira Vieira he comes from Senegal he plays for Arsenal in October ( :( ) . Best of luck Paddy-I will cheer for you in Serie A. I think I will watch some of the old season reviews tonight and enjoy the memories! :D

3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Re: Patrick Vieira and his time at Arsenal/Where does he rank?

On the Keane-Vieira debate, remember that Keane has been around a lot longer than Vieira but during their peak, there was not much between. Vieira was probably the better player athletically while Keane was perhaps the better reader of the game and better tackler. Two great players, it would have been fun to see a Keane-Vieira partnership in a game.

As for the "Keane won more than Vieira" argument, well so has Phil Neville. 'Nuff said.

4. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia

Oh, I'm not. If anything it's a positive when compared with the pre-Wenger/Vieira era (and don't take that as a sarcastic shot, either).

He did spend a whole season covering for a CB pairing of Blanc--Silvestre/Brown, mind you. And another half-season covering for a CB pairing of Silvestre--Brown (with Fortune at LB), and a lack of a decent keeper... and with the worst attackign mid from a defensive viewpoint in the world (at this level anyway), in Scholes. Without Keane, our defense from the retirement of Schmeichel up to the signing of Rio (and then again during his suspension) would have been Newcastle-esque. Only without Shay Given ;). And our attack would have been far, far less potent over the last decade, as Keane nearly always leads the league in passing (often passes that get counter attacks in motion).

Yeah, but the last few years have bee fun (barring May 21, 2005 -- a date that shall forever live in infamy ;)).

I still can't agree with you there, of course this is a matter of complete subjectivity as rating one player higher than the other at as high a level as Keane & Vieira have played (and indeed, still play) is a bit pointless.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

One of the best post I have read in a while....well put. 2 outstanding, GRITTY midfielders AND they happen to play for the 2 best clubs in the EPL during their tenures. Other clubs would cr*p their pants and probably forfeit if they had to face a Vieira-Keane midfield.....a whole lotta CRUNCH and confidence would be coming from that stellar midfield.

6. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003

i will miss his song too.

7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Wel, Keane is certainly great, and probably the best modern era captain you could find. I always felt that Vieira was overrated as a captain and his dalliance with Real over the years left him ill-prepared to handle our crash and burn after the first Man Utd loss.

But looking at careers, I'd say they are pretty even, and Vieira's more juice left in him than Keane, so he's got more upside.

As for Speed, WTF???

8. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire

I don't like Arsenal, but of course he's an Arsenal legend! He must have a place in Arsenal's all time XI.

The only players who come close are Brady and Alex James from the 1930's.

As for Speed? ****************!! He played a lot of Premiership games. So what?

9. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire

And Keano hasn't got a bad disciplinary record?! :rolleyes: :)

Huh? If anything, this would denote the quality of the player, since he is in demand by other clubs!

HA!! EVERY player has form blips. You surely cannot dispute this! Look at Rio. He hasn't set the world alight after this ban. Van Nistelrooy? Granted he was injured last season, but he hasn't been as prolific since 2002/3 (his Golden Boot season).

OK, can you cite any Arsenal midfielders superior to Vieira? If so, then most here would welcome debate. If not, then you're just trolling!

IMO, the outstanding Arsenal midfielders in my lifetime (I'm 25) are Brady, Davis, Thomas, Merson, the late 'Rocky' Rocastle, Vieira, Petit, Gilberto and Fabregas.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I was going to respond to that pathetic post, but then I saw what team you support. :rolleyes:

11. Fabregas' no. 1 fan

Fabregas' no. 1 fan New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    I only support Cesc

Now, I'm Fabregas' biggest fan (as can be seen from the name), but to call him one of Arsenal's most outstanding midfielders ever is a bit premature.

And Giblet (bless him) isn't either.
    IMO, Overmars should be on that list. He (and of course Master Bergkamp) pretty much changed the way Arsenal play, shifting the focus from having a strong defence to having our lightning quick, amazingly slick attack.

12. Velvet

Velvet New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Austria
    One word: LOL

[​IMG]

13. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Heh, well what players have Livingston ever had that can equate with Vieira?

And what was so pathetic about my comments? You questioned whether Vieira was one of Arsenal's best midfielders, without backing up your claim!

14. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire

I said in my lifetime, dickwad.

Can't you read?

15. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Guillermo Amor perhaps?

16. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    are you a livingston, arsenal or manure fan? i'm just curious.. :confused:

17. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire

So cite a player in Arsenal's history that's better, doofus.

Don't be a ********** and run away from this debate.

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The former through location and the latter through family.

19. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    OK, yes a good player in his day, but the height of his playing days weren't at Livingston.

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN

That is up to the Arsenal fans, as this thread was intended. Stop ruining it with you ranting and accusations. If you want my suggestions on the matter, then I would state that I would be unsure about putting him above Graham and Brady. Of course, like I said, this thread was started by an Arsenal fan to get a sensible discussion on Vieira's place in their history. Unfortunately, that aim keeps getting hijacked by posters like you.

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    That is irrelevant to your initial question. Now can we please get back on topic. That is Vieira's place in Arsenal's history, not comparing him to rival players... :rolleyes:

22. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire

You said you were interested in debate. I'm simply responding to your comments in that regard.
    That's your view and so what? Both players you mention aren't as good as Vieira, IMO.
    I've done nothing but provide my own opinoin in this thread.

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN

Read my posts then look at your responses. Please try to be mature about things and not ruin the discussion with your confrontational and irrelevant style. That is my last comment regarding you in this thread. I would rather stick to the thread subject.

24. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003

is this teso mod in training?

25. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thats what I've been wondering. Either that or someone put him on some very effective psychiatric drugs.

Now we just need Zani to start contributing quality football analysis and the Chelsea Mods welcoming debate on their board and I can start investing in umbrellas so people can safely walk under all of the flying pigs. :D