The Vegalta Sendai Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by Vegalta_Sendai, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured I'd start a new thread to put my rantings in, as I don't know how interested people are in reading them in the official J1 thread. ;) Any other Vegalta Sendai (or other) fans are welcome to rant with me, especially ones in Japan who have more access to the games/players, and are probably more technically adept at watching games than I am. ;)

So, Round 14. A shocking, last-minute loss to Albirex Niigata at Yurtec Stadium. A bit nostalgic for me, as the first Vegalta Sendai match I ever saw was Vegalta Sendai vs. Albirex Niigata at Sendai Stadium (it wasn't called Yurtec in those days) in the summer of 1999. Only, that time it was in J2, and, even though Vegalta lost, relegation wasn't on the line, like it was this time. They lost 3-0, but it might have well have been 10-0. As my host father said to me: "Sonna heta wakannai!" They were that bad.

Anyway, highlights of round 14: Vegalta Sendai vs. Albirex Niigata:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCUcIS8e_XY"]YouTube- 2010?J1??14????vs???J??????[/ame]

To me, that is not a penalty. It frustrates me a lot, actually, because that changed the flow of the game, especially as Sendai gave it up just after the halftime restart.

Still depressed over this loss, actually. I thought Vegalta were playing a bit loose at the end (also, what the hell was up with the Nakahara for Ryang substitution at the end?! I know you are going for the win, but you don't take off the most creative player (and probably only one of the real J1-quality players Sendai have) just to put a body up front. And that, frankly, is what Nakahara is. A body.), but I didn't think they would give up a freaking last-minute olimpico! Still, Vegalta control their own fate. They are out of the relegation zone...for now.

On the positive side...Park Sung-Ho already looks better than that off-season "signing" Reinaldo.

What's more concerning is how many goals they've given up... They only gave up 39 goals in 51 games in J2 last year (the best in the league). They've already given up 23 goals in 14 games this year. They really need to get things settled at the back.

Another concerning thing is Vegalta's upcoming schedule. Here's their next 5 games:

Home to Sanfrecce Hiroshima (who are coming off a high after an away win at Urawa Reds)
    Away to Kawasaki Frontale
    Home to Yokohama F Marinos
    Home to Gamba Osaka
    Away to Urawa Reds

I can easily see Vegalta not getting a point out of any of these matches, but we'll see.

2. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Is Nakahara really that bad? In J2, I rated him as a better striker than both Hirase and Nakashima, but looking at his statistics this season he hasnt quite managed to deliver the same. But neither Hirase or Nakashima have been any good either, so If i were to choose between those 3 I would have gone with Nakahara.

Lets hope Park can be a hit for you. A promising debut as you said.

3. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    HIRASE!!!
    Now that's a nostalgic name! :eek:

4. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, last year Nakahara was great for Vegalta... He had some last-minute game winners last year (10 goals in 36 appearances), but he's only scored 2 goals this year, one in an away loss to Kyoto, and once in garbage time in a 5-1 away loss to Shimizu. I just wonder if he's J1 quality... It's one thing to score against Thespa Kusatsu, but quite another to score against a top J1 side.

Speaking of, here's the list of our scorers:

Ryang Yong-Gi (MF): 6 (3 are PKs, though)
    Fernandinho (MF, but they have played him at FW at times): 4
    Elizeu (DF): 2
    Nakahara (FW): 2
    Park Sung-Ho (FW): 1
    Kamata (DF) 1

I think losing Marcelo Soares didn't help (16 goals in 34 appearances), but unfortunately, he was on loan from Ponte Preta, and, as far as I know, he is still there (I can't find any current info on him, though). I would have liked to see Vegalta give him a full transfer to see how he would have done in J1.

5. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    I wasn't too impressed with Sekiguchi's taking the mickey out of Makino's celebrations after his goal. Morale can't be too high if players are hitting out like that.

6. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah, what was that about? was he trying to land a contract at Sanfrecce for next season...?

7. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally got to watch highlights of Sendai - Hiroshima and Kawasaki - Sendai... Man, it's a good thing I wasn't watching these live, because I would've been furious.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYaHnkMo47w"]YouTube- 2010 J.League Division1 ?15? ??vs??[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-8FfLVyzbo"]YouTube- 2010 J.League Division1 ?16? ??vs??[/ame]

Based on the highlights, the Sanfrecce game looked very winnable (Ryang hit the post in the second half before the own goal), and Vegalta could've gotten a win or even a draw out of the Frontale game (Sekiguchi hit the post just before Taniguchi's goal), but Hayashi handled Renatinho's shot like Robert Green...

So, 1 point out of 3 games. Not good. Now Vegalta are in the relegation zone (on goal difference)... I really don't know what to make of this team. When all they need is one goal, they can't score if their lives depended on it. When they score 2, they give up 3...

Also, Vegalta have lost games to 3 of their fellow relegation candidates (away at Kyoto, home to Vissel, and away to Shonan), which is something you just can't do if you want to stay up.

Still a lot of time in the season, though. Their next 2 games are home matches against Yokohama FM and Gamba Osaka. I think they can get something out of at least one of those matches.

8. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Don't forget that Hisato also hit the crossbar. I think Petrovic was right that a draw was probably fair. It seemed to be what Sanfrecce were aiming for since Petrovic was resting a couple of key players for that game.

9. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough... Like I said, I didn't see the game, and can only rely on highlights or match reports for what happened. I can't really get a feel for how the "flow" of the game was. It's one of the frustrating things about following Vegalta in the Bay Area... The evening games are on from 3AM - 5AM, so, even if I *want* to follow them, sometimes I can't.

10. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much to say, except, dammit, Urawa! Why can't you win when I *want* you to... :(

Truth is, though, Sendai have put themselves in this position... I don't know if they can dig their way out, but the prize for finishing 16th, 17th, or 18th is the same...

11. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Fc Tokyo twitted, Shingo Akamine is on his way to Sendai.

12. SkyPiercer

SkyPiercer Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    He's a quality player, too good to warm FC Tokyo's bench. (Oguro's arrival).

13. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! I just saw this! Could this help save Vegalta's season???

14. Shizuoka

Shizuoka Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Shizuoka, Japan
    Club:
    Shimizu S Pulse
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hope so! I'd hate to see Sendai go straight back down again. A win on Saturday will take you out the relegation zone at least temporarily.

15. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'll be at Saisuta, in the Vegalta section...

16. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shingoal starts up top! Looks like a 4-5-1 formation? Ryang is apparently playing a defensive midfield role...? Elizeu and Park Ju-Sung not in the starting line-up, not even on the bench... I don't think either of them are injured or suspended? I don't know if this is tactical by Teguramori, or if they're in the doghouse or something...

17. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Park picked up an injury just recently I heard. About Elizeu, this is the 2nd match in a row he has to watch it from the stands. Perhaps he is not happy with how things are going, and have therefore critiscised Teguramori or something?

18. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different stamen, same result... 0-1 to Gamba in the 21st minute. :(

Unfortunately, can't watch/listen to this game anywhere, so I have no idea how Vegalta is playing, really. According to twitter, attack has been good, though...

19. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naoki with the equalizer! 1-1! Still possible to get a result from this game!

EDIT: ...And they give it right back... 1-2 Gamba :(

EDIT EDIT: And Gamba adds another... 1-3 Gamba... Vegalta gives up 3 goals *again*!

20. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT. Sendai loses *again*. If they can't win the games coming up against Omiya and Shonan, relegation seems inevitable now. :-(

21. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shingo Akamine with his first goal for Sendai! Vegalta lead Omiya 2-0!!!!

22. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fernandinho makes it 3-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fernandinho's second of the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sendai closer and closer to its first win since April!

23. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best sign at the NACK5: "SENDAI IS NOT DEAD!!!" :D

24. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full time! Sendai beats Omiya 3-0 away! Finally! Next week's game against Shonan, if it wasn't already, is *huge* now!

25. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You played us off the field today......nearly could have been 5-0 with two off the post. I swear to god you bring out the worst in us. :mad:

Anyhow......nice win. I hate you guys but nice win :p