The Value of a Boot...

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by illdthedj, May 27, 2009.

1. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now, half my boots i have for wearing/playing in. The other half i have bought and kept new originally as backups because i really like that specific model (ie. the laser 1s), but seeing as though i have a number of boots to use already, its looking like these new backup boots are now becoming moreso a part of a collection.

Being a moderate collector of soccer boots, I was recently thinking about the VALUE a boot has/retains/gains....

For instance, boots such as new Predator Manias and Accelators I see being sold for quite a pretty penny, for obvious reasons: people find them attractive, they think they are well designed, they are 7+ years old, they are discontinued, represent a stepping stone in the family tree of the famed predator line, they are collectors items, etc.

Other boots, like the Nike Euro line, are hard to come by, limited edition, and are therefor worth quite a deal as well....

anyways, just curious what others thought, do most boots, if kept new, end up being worth more than they were original bought for? Or do most just stay the same? Depreciate? How long do you think it takes before a boot starts to increase in value? What makes a boot worth more down the line and increase in value? Are certain colorways worth more for whatever reason? Are there any boots out now you think will increase in value? Others that will decrease?

Just looking to see what people thought. It would be interesting to see examples too...

2. 90laser77

90laser77 Member

Jun 19, 2008
    color is extemely important. example the laser I's. the white/black version is gone, extinct. the black/blue, white/yellow and black/red ones are selling for under $100 on websites as well as ebay. if a new pair of white/blacks were to hit ebay, they'd reach retail value or more in no time. imo as well as many others, the white/black was the best colorway, thats why they are GONE and dead to the world.

on a diff note, many boots increase in value over time, but more decrease i think. ANY kelme model has hit dirt bottom by now. most pumas decrease in value, except those italy version of the v1.06's and king execs.

generally increasing boots imo
    -vaps
    -preds leading up to the pulses (from pulses on they generally decrease. except specific colorways like first absolute color (white/gold/black))
    -copas stay the same, lol
    -laser I's

idk, i think those are the main ones the rest generally decrease unless they are PHENOMENAL or collectors items or rare release

3. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so what about age?

i agree, it seems the white laser 1s are nowhere to be found, while other colorways can be found for under a 100 easy...

but do you think even the more common colorways such as the ones you mentioned will go up in value after a couple years? i would assume if the laser line gets discontinued which i have heard might happen, they would start to be worth something, especially since many people seem to have an attachment to the first lasers (or so it seems)...or even if the laser line dosnt discontinue, and in 5 years or so they are on Laser 5's or 6's, would you think even the common colorways would be worth more?

i do have a number of the laser 1s i picked up for cheap, but im not planning on collecting a bunch of laser 1s so in a few years i can ebay them all and get rich, lol....just curious about what makes boots more valuable than others.

4. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some other things i was thinking about:
    does having the original box or not affect the value?
    also, what about a boot being used? i mean, obviously new boots are worth more than a used boot (duh), but does the rarity or collectability of a boot decrease the amount it being used affects its value? what i mean is, obviously a new boot is most valuable. but lets say its a rare boot, and used slightly. do you think its value is less affected by it being used if its rare?

example A: this ordinary boot cost 100 bucks. oh, its slightly used? then its worth 50 bucks.

example B: this RARE boot cost 200 bucks. oh, its slightly used? then its worth 170 bucks.

is this extremely generalized scenario true? where slightly used ordinary boot goes down by 50 percent, slightly used RARE boot goes down 15 percent? (just making up numbers)

lol sorry, its just i find collecting boots interesting.

i never meant to start collecting boots, i was just stocking up on lasers because i love them, and now i find myself perusing ebay all the time and thinking about purchasing boots i dont need, so i think im starting to cross the line between stockpiling something for use and into collecting :D

5. T90 OzzY

T90 OzzY Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Kent, Marden
    I kept a pair of Mercurial SL Carbon's to sell later on. Look at that. Since last August they have more than doubled in price on eBay from £250 to £550! They are brand new in all aspects. Never been touched by hands besides the factory workers ones. Never been on someones foot. I have resisted temptation to put them on so far. I did have a pair that I wore for matches. Then they kinda broke so I sent them back and got a full refund from PDS.

6. soorbob

soorbob New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    ooo just looking for this thread i posted this in the boot questions but i have a pair of white/black legend 1s brand new never worn no box but comes with the bag size uk6 us7 how much would they go on ebay?

7. 90laser77

90laser77 Member

Jun 19, 2008
    not a huge point, but one that needs to be made...the value of a boot can also chenge per individual. For example, i know that the Yellow/Green R9 Vapor III's is an item to kill for with some people, but i'd never pay anything over a dollar for them, i just dont like vapor III's. but get me a pair of T90 II's or III's in a decent colorway and I'll pay full price for them, where i know others would not touch them if they were free. (maybe an exageration but u get it.)

8. atomicskiracer

Jun 1, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty wild to watch how the values increase..I bought a pair of gunmetal mania sg's for $75 from an outlet, and now im sure they're worth alot more than that, even though ive worn them twice...

9. eiresoccer

eiresoccer New Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It really is all about getting the right cleat. We have had so many requests for the Nike Vapor Berry, and by sending people to eBay we have seen over 10 sales (as an affiliate of eBay). I think anything that is released as limited edition will go up in value. Another example is the Puma Ferrari....if someone got their hands on a pair, and is keeping them to sell they are extremely lucky. I can see them selling for upto $500 by the end of this year. Smaller brands will not really increase in value as they are readily availalbe.

Stick with the limited editions, or hot sellers from the top companies (Adidas, Nike and Puma)

10. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yah spot on...

i have my collection of boots for wearing now (mostly copas and lasers)
    and have been adding to my small collection of boots to keep new....i have some vapors, a few laser 1s, euro legends, and a random pair of manics i got for cheap (not manias, but still pretty to look at lol)

and its funny to see how the exact same boot but a different colorway can be worth so much more because they only made limited quantities.

i have another question.....i see boots selling, lets say for example, a pred mania, that sell for quite a bit, EVEN IF they were used. now used meaning in still great condition but has been worn.

how much does being used affect a boots value? does it depend on the boot? also, are they worth more if you keep the original box, all the tags, leave the tags on, hell....even the original tissue paper they are wrapped in?

11. eiresoccer

eiresoccer New Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, if you keep the tags and original box it adds value, even if they are slightly worn. They will obviously be worth less if they are worn, but it depends on the person looking to buy. I am sure there are a lot of people who would pay $250 for a pair of slightly worn Nike Vapor Berry's right now!

Let say, for example, someone offered me a pair of the original Predators right now (and I really wanted them) I would probably offer $250 for a new pair, $200 for a slightly worn pair! So, i guess there is a slight difference. Hope this helps!

But I would definitely keep the tags and original box if possible!

12. atomicskiracer

Jun 1, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, I just have a pair of brand new Orange Mercurial Vapor II's that are still in the box and have never been laced or even tried on..ive seen offers of $180 bucks for a slightly used pair, im sure that mine would be worth more than that..

What do you think are the most valuable boots right now?

Japan Blue Manias
    2008 Vapor SL's
    What else?

13. T90 OzzY

T90 OzzY Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Kent, Marden
    There is a pair of Superflys in size UK7 going for over £500 atm...
    Unbelievable :O

14. brian.

brian. New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    I saw nike mercurial vapor iii sgs sell for 215 new size 9, I don't know if i should sell mine in same condition and size

15. vanderstar

vanderstar New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    could somebody please tell me the value of nike laser E8, brand new, still with tags

16. Rubix

Rubix Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Got them all I have - all sample mania's, most colourways of all predators up the mania's.

17. T90 OzzY

T90 OzzY Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Kent, Marden
    The annoying thing is that you really do have them aswell :(

18. Rubix

Rubix Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you are interested I can trade you a brand new in tin adidas platinum precision uk 9 number 329 for a pair of your nike mercurial SL'S.......

19. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im no expert, but i would say its MSRP....which is like 200 bucks.
    i havnt seen many being sold ever, but the one person who had a pair that saw was willing to sell, they were firm @ 190 dollars us.

i saw your other post about getting those e8 lasers at the nike outlet for 69....im very jealous lol especially since i went to a nike outlet by me last weekend and didnt find a single soccer cleat :(

im seriously debating driving to a nike outlet 45 minutes from me just to see if i can find a deal like the one you got on those e8s. were they like the only e8s there and they just happened to be in your size or....?

20. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thats awesome to hear, cuz i have just aquired two new in box pairs of white laser 1s :)

i actually have a size 11.5 white laser 1 new in box available to trade or purchase if anyone is interested.... (sorry i know, belongs in swapshot etc. lol)

21. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ive seen pictures of your incredible collection!
    lots of ebaying i presume? did you buy them when they first came out or...?
    whats the cheapest you found a mania for? lol sorry for all the questions....

i would be happy with ONE pair of new manias....i have a pair of new manics lol, not quite the same

22. vanderstar

vanderstar New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You have white laser i's in 11.5, omg my e8 lasers are 11.5 too! Let's trade!!!!!:mad:

23. vanderstar

vanderstar New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    are those white lasers fg or sg

24. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they are FG....wait are you seriously down to trade or just messing with me lol

25. Rubix

Rubix Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I bought 132 pairs of Mania blacks at £14 each brand new in box, 3/4 were SG, 1/4 were FG denomination. Bought them from a guy who deal in wholesale.

I sold all of them now though as that was 2 years ago....yea I ebay alot too....

Cheers!