The USMNT 26-man roster for World Cup 2022 announced p80 #1991

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Jun 13, 2022.

1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I *think* he said the players are going to select one.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  2. TrustingtheProcess

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 11, 2021
    Philadelphia, USA
    Playing three rangy midfielders to protect the back line and provide a numerical advantage in the middle of the field makes more sense to me to stop counters before they start, then to rely on three backpedaling center backs in space.

Defense doesn't have to just be reactive, it can be proactive.

TimB4Last repped this.
  3. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think thats about the only way whats his faces' 4-0 prediction would come true.

4. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I think he's referring to his club performances of late, which apparently have been fairly strong and consistent. (He's also starting regularly on a team that's absolutely dominating the Belgian league right now, and I think Club Brugge have shown this year in the Champions League that's no small feat.)

But yeah unfortunately that uptick in form didn't seem to translate to his international performances the last time he was called up.

gomichigan24 and Yowza repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A high-and-tight-mullet? I agree, 100% :thumbsdown:

xbhaskarx repped this.
  7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a terrible haircut, which is reason number one neither of them should see the field. Ever.

Boysinblue and xbhaskarx repped this.
  8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Instead of listening to the podcast I prefer imagining that McKenzie told Berhalter he wasn't ready for the WC and looks forward to trying again in 2026

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You know what they say about consistency: It's the hobgoblin of small minds.

From a link I'm afraid to provide after getting burned once

The hobgoblin of small minds is a foolish consistency. A great person does not need to think consistently from one day to the next. Ralph Waldo Emerson’s essay “Self-Reliance” makes this remark. Emerson does not explain the distinction between foolish and wise consistency

socal lurker repped this.
  10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    At 23, I think that makes him our youngest WC captain in the modern era.

Past captains and their ages:

1990: Mike Windischmann (24)
    1994: Tony Meola (25)
    1998: Thomas Dooley (36)
    2002: Claudio Reyna (28)
    2006: Claudio Reyna (32)
    2010: Carlos Bocanegra (31)
    2014: Clint Dempsey (31)
    (And Bradley at 30 was our captain through qualifying last cycle.)

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't think it's a good choice for 2022. I'd rather Adams take it all in and use what he learns to be a good captain in 2026.

Also, why divide the team by voting blocs one day before the opening match v. Wales?

I would pick Pulisic because he is the guy likely to be fouled rather than the guy fouling. I won't go into the psychology of it since it seems Adams is a fait accomplit and we'll just have to discuss it post-Cup.

13. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know, pretty much everyone who follows the team in terms of media, former players, etc pretty uniformly all say that Tyler Adams is the guy who should be the captain.

I don’t think it’ll divide the team at all. Voting on a team captain by players is fairly common in sports.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Do we know who the referee will be for Monday?

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We are a young soccer nation. Actually, the article linked doesn't find our approach "common". Extract

UNORTHODOX TYLER ADAMS CAPTAINCY MAKES SENSE FOR USMNT
    2 HOURS AGO
    [​IMG]
    Martin Rogers
    FOX SPORTS INSIDER

The World Cup doesn't officially begin until Sunday, but the United States men's team has already set itself apart by being the only squad in the tournament still to name its captain.

Publicly, at least.

Head coach Gregg Berhalter is expected to announce tenacious midfielder Tyler Adams as his skipper at a press conference on Sunday afternoon Qatari time, according to a US Soccer source who requested anonymity as Monday's clash against Wales is rapidly approaching. (2 p.m. ET on FOX and the FOX Sports app.)

Berhalter took an innovative approach — albeit an utterly hands-off one — by giving over responsibility for selecting the role to his 26-member group of players. One player, one vote. Highest tally gets the honor.

Kind of weird, right?

16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is it’s very common in American sports to do it that way. I can’t speak for the sporting culture of other countries, but not the sort of thing that’s particularly a concern.

tomásbernal and gogorath repped this.
  17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    #2942 Deadtigers, Nov 19, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    And you would be wrong. Has Puli been a captain at any level. Maybe, just maybe it's best to let a great player just be a great player if they have no natural leadership instincts like say Kevin Durant. Adams is one of the best players on the team, the hardest to replace and seems most unfazed by such responsibility.

PS: If the picking of a captain would divide this team then they have far more issues than we all imagine. Also you are making your pick based on the few games that you see, these are the guys who are in practice with him all the time, in the locker room seeing him at the breakfast table and all this other stuff so I think I'll trust their judgment on who they want them leading them out there.

SoccerFanInIA and gomichigan24 repped this.
  18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Pretty much. Most coaches give the team 3 or 4 guys to choose from and then put it to a vote.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes he has.

I don't object if everybody wants Adams. I would have picked Pulisic because, as Gregg pointed out, "Pulisic is just the kind of guy who can come into an elite team like Chelsea and navigate all the hazards" (I'm paraphrasing, but you get the drift).

Having Adams as captain will make it easier for the ref to control the game anyway and I think that is a good thing from a sportsmanship point of view.

b.t.w., does anybody know if Timmy's dad will be attending the games? The cameras spotlighted him at a recent Lille game.

20. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    Nothing breads confidence like ignorance.

gogorath repped this.
  21. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    From someone whose favorite BL team is BMG and actually watches as many of their games as possible (and also was one of the first poster on here to point out How good he was playing) the timing just wasn’t good for him. I’m not going to rehash the details, I’m pretty sure you know them. I think GB did him a favor by not playing before he was ready and destroying his confidence.
    I’m looking forward to seeing Scally play if he gets his chance. I think his ability to connect from the RB spot to the CMs could help us progress the ball through certain defensive schemes we might just come up against.

tomásbernal and gogorath repped this.
  22. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    And there’s the crux of the situation. You have incomplete data and yet can only see one reasonable scenario playing out that’s not “insane”. The fact that your unable to understand that Moore could possibly be import also shows us a lot about your reasoning or logic skills.

MuchoTakeItEasy repped this.
  23. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very busy with work and life. So, I could not follow soccer much in last couple months. The squad is what I expected except Horvath and Moore. I expected to see Steffen and Cannon instead of those two. Good to see Tim Ream back in the national team. I think he should start against Wales alongside Zimmerman.

MuchoTakeItEasy repped this.
  24. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Yes:

Excellency repped this.
  25. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Deadtigers repped this.