The USA Supporters Section Did Not "Bring It" in the Gold Cup Final

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by deedougie, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    You know, this is really the truth. And then there are some jacknuts who want to be the ones who get a shirt thrown to them, just in case we actually win.

2. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too was disappointed with the Supporter's Section at the Gold Cup final. Garrett mentioned a few reasons as to why it was so sub-par, and I agree with the majority of them.

I'm one that usually is up on the seat, or on the shoulders of a friend, leading chants. But the section in this game made it virtually impossible. I was about eight rows up, and when looking behind me, could only see the chest of the person in the row behind me. I couldn't hear a single thing people two rows behind me were singing, let alone the back of the section.

The water issue was huge. It was extremely hot that day, and within thirty minutes or so my throat was killing me ( five hours of tailgating and leading chants and the march ). I went at halftime to buy water, and the lines were so long that I came back to the section empty handed.

And while it is no excuse, people chant and sing less when the team is losing. Especially when you are constantly dealing with the Mexican fans five feet to the right of you who are yelling at you and throwing shit at you. This was the main problem I saw. The rows in front of me were only worried about the Mexican fans taunting them. Not the game.

3. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    I've lived in NYC for quite a while now and I have never had any trouble finding organized USA supporters events. I was on the NJB and ESC email lists and would often lurk in message forums here and Metrofantic to see what was going on and getting info on US supporter activities.

I remember going to some bars back in the day like Nathan Hales, Nevada Smiths etc and never had problems connecting to USA fans in the area.

There has always been organized USA support around here so i am not sure what you are on.

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This shit again?

Personally I have nothing against AO and their people, they serve an important role in the US supporter scene by providing some level of national and regional organization that Sams Army simply does not and couldn't care less about providing. Really SA hasn't done shit the last several years its been a loose collection of existing MLS supporter group leadership keeping that together,

But AO would do well to listen to their father so to speak, while they are great and expanding the circle to more fans and provide good entertainment for them, they are a bit green overall and could really benefit from learning the basics of supporting your side from vets like Metroflip, Haig, etc. They have been through the wars and know what the sing for 90 is all about.

As far as the Rose Bowl, sounds like this is also an issue of circumstance. A poor ticket policy and not the best level of sectional organization can make a bad situation (outnumbered 80,000 to 500) worse. I remember the calamity of the Giants Stadium 2009 GC Final, we had a decent section but once we started getting slammed in the second half shit fell apart.

Old assholes keep preaching to the youngs about what they should strive to be in the stadium, teach them, instill in them the importance of singing loudest when you feel like singing the least and old guys, give the kids a chance and appreciate the fact they are going what they can to grow US soccer support nationwide.

5. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth. Fans in NYC and NJ have been organizing trips since France 98' and before and have constantly been singled out as some of the loudest and most supportive in the entire country. Just none of them had any interest in being AO, or SA for that matter.

6. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about this Metroflip guy...;)

Actually I think you nailed it with this post. The Rose Bowl, along with Reliant Stadium in Houston, were outliers in terms of support for the USA. Take those two games out of the month of June and the USA had outstanding support. I was at every game except for Tampa and Houston and I was impressed by every crowd. I thought the crowd in KC was going to suck, the march in was paltry, but somebody must have flipped a switch because that section was loud and organized.

Detroit, again, a town with two games (right?) since 1990 and they had an awesome crowd.

RFK, great as usual.

Gillette, large crowd, all red behind the goal, great tifo *Pats self on back*, looked great but it sounded ok and I think this has more to do with Gillette being Gillette. The shiny new stadium just doesn't compare to the old Foxboro stadium, plus it was a friendly. It was the first time I saw the entire Fort sold out, that's 2100 seats. I'll admit we could have done better organizing chants but and this is partially my fault as I was preoccupied on organizing the tifo displays. Plus, we didn't put as much of a plan in to spreading the chants out as we could have because the acoustics of Gillette just totally suck hairy balls.

[​IMG]

You guys saw this, right?

Again, this goes back to my strong belief that in stadiums where the sound sucks we should focus on displays over chants. A sea of red with a bunch of flags and overhead displays can help make up for crap acoustics.

7. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have said the same thing about Haig since 1997...and when he wore these to games. Very Liam Gallagher-esque. heh.

[​IMG]

even in a stadium with terrible acoustics, what's wrong with keeping up the vocal support? or why not keep both chanting and visuals at a high level?

8. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The following is a a list of places where we played WC qualifiers between 2004-5

Second Round 2004
    Columbus

Third Round 2004
    Gillette
    RFK
    Columbus

The Hex 2005
    Birmingham
    Salt Lake
    East Hartford
    Columbus
    Gillette

The following is a list of places where we played WC qualifiers between 2008-2009...

Second Round 2008
    HDC

Third Round 2008
    Toyota Park
    RFK
    Dick's

THE HEX 2009
    Columbus
    LP Field in Nashville
    Soldiers Field
    Rio Tinto
    RFK

So the next time the Midwest or West Coast bitches about not getting big games from the Fed throw that in their face:

4 Meaningful games in the Midwest
    3 in the West
    Only 2 on the East Coast and at the same stadium.

For kicks 2009 Gold Cup Venues selected by CONCACAF:
    Qwest Field*
    RFK
    Gillette Stadium
    The Linc Philadelphia
    Soldiers Field
    Giants Stadium

*For all talk of how Seattle never gets USA games well they had one on July 4 against Grenada and drew 15k, the lowest attendance of any USA game in the 2009 Gold Cup.

If I were to guess where 2014 qualifying will be held...

*No second round play as we get a bye straight to the third round this time.

Third Round
    HDC
    PPL/RFK
    KC

THE HEX
    RFK
    Portland
    Columbus
    Red Bull Arena
    Houston's new stadium
    Rio Tinto

As far as 2013 Gold Cup who knows.

9. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not against this but I think it's something we as USA fans need to step up. I've always wanted bigger tifo displays accompanying audio support. There are some stadiums where I think you just can't get the chanting levels at the same level because the stadium sucks, like Gillette or the Rose Bowl. I just set me expectations based on the venue. In 2012-13 though we'll have the benefit of all the new SSS stadiums so this may be a moot point by then.

Before this Gold Cup AO Boston and AO Providence made two overhead banners that made it to every game but Houston. I have about 100 USA,DTOM and all 50 state flags on about 5' flag poles just chillin' in my basement waiting to go to the next game. I transported as many as I could in a golf bag. (Side note, TSA must have been so confused when they opened that bag and just saw this massive display of AMERICA.) I know Screaming Eagles/AO DC have about 75 or so good size American flags on about 3' poles in their pods at RFK.

I'd like to see similar efforts in 2012-2013 where groups around the country are bringing out more than just the large USA flags but bring out more flag poles, bring out more streamers, bring out more balloons, more everything. This year Tanya in Iowa got a big USA flag for Midwest games which is awesome because I don't believe there was one before.

Monty and Kirwain have the two big ass flags on the East Coast
    Jay in DC has the big DTOM flag as well as another big American flag
    Tanya has a good size one in Iowa
    Chase has another on the West Coast

This is good. We could possibly use one in the South somewhere too, maybe Dallas or Houston.

I think we're at the point now where we can really step up our tifo game at the national team level. MLS clubs have set the bar and we need to meet or top that for big games. I expect big ********ing things in Columbus in 2013. Big things. I know there was the card display in 05, we should be able to do that again or maybe something even bigger.

10. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might have to cross RBA off the list, I don't think USSF and RBFO are seeing eye to eye at the moment.

Bridgeview could be put on this list, they host the USA-TT game in 2008.

As important as it is to have as many MLS SSS involved, it wouldn't be bad to have a game in a non-MLS area and have the game in an NFL venue...Nashville should get another shot. Been only to 1 USA game (Olympic qualifying). Nashville is a blast, so it would be a good place to host a US game again.

Stanford's newly renovated stadium could be another nice venue for the USSF to look into.

11. Nevada Eagle

Nevada Eagle Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carson City, NV
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could not agree more.

12. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too think tifo should be a bigger part of the total experience. It's just as easy as getting small flags on small sticks to wave combined with some medium sized flags, large flags on poles and BAFs. One thing we rarely use to our advantage as much as we could is the fact we have possibly the most badass flag on earth, one with a great deal of symbolic importance not just in the banner itself, but the colors as well.

13. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found some fun images throwing out here:

[​IMG]

USA vs. Guatemala, 2000

[​IMG]

USA vs. Honduras, 2001

14. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been to 3 USA-Mex matches at Azteca.

15. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've done the same pally..but in the years I watched US games at Nathan Hales' or Stouts. Not once did anyone mention any trips to watch games. It was always the same ..every one just makes their own way to the games. And to me, thats part of the problem. How can we start to bring real numbers out to games, if its still gonna be the same thing ? The first bus trip the NJB had , was our first trip. So I don't know what your talking about

16. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus H.

If it weren't for the tiny DCU banners on the light posts in the back I would assume that game was held in Honduras...speaking of which San Pedro Sula had an RFK feel to it.

Did I mention I love RFK Stadium? :D

17. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yes, but your flag has 87236483 rules with it too :) We brought out about 40 3x5s on poles for USA-Jamaica and all I could think of beforehand is when is some tard gonna crawl out and point out any flag infraction :D But noone did so maybe next time we go bigger, reading these forums it sounds like there's flag police hehe

18. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agee it takes away from the atmosphere when I have to say to a drunk ass friend ,hey your holding it in the wrong way or when some old school cat gets pissy when one of my buddies wears it as a cape.

19. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Flag Code is long, I agree, but also unenforceable. Most of the "flag police" only seek to make sure the flag is being respected while being displayed. I don't mind flags as capes (I've done it before) and I'll gently point out to people the correct way to display the flag but am not a stickler. But, seeing a sea of U.S. flags lining the field and waving in the stands could create an intimidating atmosphere no matter where we are or who we're playing.

20. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only issue I have is when people write on the flag or fly it upside down, otherwise the cape thing doesn't bother me.

Buncha dudes in AO Boston and Providence are vets and they were the flag as capes, doesn't bother them.

21. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to get this thread back on point, I think this is the crux of the issue is the split in the USA fan group between the non-AO fans (can't really call it the SA fans) and the AO fans. Onionsack said it perfectly:

Which is exactly on point. To support the USMNT you should be aware there is a history of hardcore US Supporters who DID give their all before AO was even created. They just want to give it their full 90, and don't feel any need to be part of a specific supporters group:

And then this personal point on me.

My points are:

- AO - Yes, you are the dominant group this day, (esp. thanks to Spacone basically not doing anything with SA (thanks you wanker)), however, AO, you shouldn't keep the dis-respect you felt you received when you were just starting out, and dis all the other USA fans. It's petty and it doesn't show the sacrifices and the commitment the pre-AO USA supporters gave to their team.

- There has to be some sort of unifying force between all the disparate Supporters groups. Doing your own thing (as AO does) is great if you are a member of AO, but not everyone who wants to support the USMNT wants to be a member of AO. There has to be someone or some group that can talk and unify the supporters sections for USA games on game day so something like what happens at the Gold Cup final never happens again.

I don't know how this will happen, but I think it's important that it DOES happen. A lot of people who are not-AO are being force out of feeling comfortable being a USA supporter and AO should realize that. Its not about who is or who is in your group, its about understanding that we are all in the same boat together; which is supporting the USMNT.

We need to figure out how to do that. Now.

22. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok...

I don't think the national organization has formally or informally dissed other supporters or other groups at all. Have some our nearly 7,000 individual members? I am sure. When you get that many people you're going to have some jackasses but that being said doesn't mean I am going to hold it against the entire group. People will always talk shit about us publicly and behind our backs. People call AO frat boys, bros, etc. Whatever. As people have said in this thread that was the same charge leveled at SA in the early days.

Lots of Mexican fans throw bottles and crap at games but there are plenty of Mexican fans who are decent guys.

I am not really sure what you're getting at.

What do you mean doing your own thing? What are you on about, I am not really sure I follow ya.

It's a bid hard to organize people who are unaffiliated or not organized into something. AO isn't for everybody just as some club supporters groups aren't for everybody but I am not sure how you organize people who don't want an organization. Who speaks for the unorganized non-organization fans?

AO has a guy who tries to organize everything at every game in Hexsel. He has been at every game, I think, since 2009? He handles tailgates, banners, setup, and night before stuff. I think of the AO National guys I am right behind him in most games since our inception in 2007.

I think everybody is really overreacting to one game. Was it a final against Mexico? Yes, but it was AT THE ROSE BOWL. The support at the rest of the tournament was very good and everybody is having a meltdown because of one game that, let's be honest, most of us weren't confident we would actually make it to so they didn't buy tickets or commit to go. The second the tickets went on sale I bought tickets in the supporters section.

Again, I think everybody is overreacting over one game against Mexico at the Rose Bowl.

23. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. All of this.

And AO does link up with supporters groups in different cities. In Detroit, MCS was helping out AO Detroit because many of them are in both. Here in DC, all the DCU supporters groups were instrumental in helping us put on the best damn tailgate ever...again, we have tons of crossover between AODC and the DCU groups. But, getting those supporters groups aren't necessarily the key. Their first purpose is to support whatever (insert domestic league) team they organize to support. Many of their members may not be US fans. For many years, the Barra never really had anything going at U.S. matches in RFK because many of their members were Bolivian or Salvadorean, etc. They weren't American fans. That has since changed, and again they help us out immensely with support on road trips and home matches.

This is why there is AO. Or SA. They are supporters groups for the U.S. National Teams. There's never any doubt that AO or SA members are U.S. supporters. That may not always be the case with MLS supporters groups. That is why AO (and SA before) take the lead on every U.S. match.

24. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Not everybody. Just some.