The USA Supporters Section Did Not "Bring It" in the Gold Cup Final

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by deedougie, Jun 27, 2011.

1. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I've been going to and photographing the fans of the USA Men's National Team for 11 years, and I've never been as embarrassed by the American fans as I was on Saturday for the Gold Cup Final. My first USMNT mach was World Cup Qualifying: USA vs. Guatemala in 2000 in RFK, followed by USA vs. Honduras in 2001.

At those games the American fans were just as outnumbered 9-1, just as they were at the Rose Bowl in Los Angeles, but they never stopped cheering for their team the whole 90 minutes. In all the years since the supporters section has always cheered the full 90 no matter what the result. On Saturday, the fans quit on the US Men's team.

When Mexico scored their second goal they crossed their arms, and didn't cheer, and stood silent in the most important match for the team this year. Its an absolute disgrace, and every American fan at the game should be ashamed of themselves.

You can read my full blog post and photographs on my website: http://www.douglaszimmerman.blogspot.com/

2. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like LA, dude.

3. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it might be , but you got to bring it the full 90+...AWANTE USA!!

Arriba los Dirty Yanks!

4. MakingNews

MakingNews Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Maybe you should have put down your camera and helped lead the cheers.

It's easy to criticize.

Given the noise the section was almost impossible to coordinate. Cheers started in the front died almost immediately. USA fans toward the back had to contend with the hostile enviromnent: http://t.co/xLZH3Pr

But next game, we'll be happy to take our cues from you.

5. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    The blog is overly critical and exaggerated to the point of being absurd. And it's hypocritical in the extreme to claim to be embarrassed by the fans when the blogger is cruising around clicking photos. If you really thought the fans needed a pick me up, then put down your camera, jump in and start it.

I know the second post was in jest, but this didn't have anything to do with LA. Comparison's to other games in the past are meaningless without taking into account the game itself. Even a blow out from the start would have been easier. The reality is that it was a massive gut shot to be up 2-0 and then have everything fall apart. It's great if the fans can rally the players but sometimes it works the other way as well, and again to claim that the supporters quit in the second half is entirely nonsense.

And, let's not forget or act like this is some isolated event, as the 80,000+ Mexico fans had gotten pretty quiet there midway through the first half. I could actually hear myself think for a few minutes. But I digress.

In the end, the blog is nonsense, but I suppose the kind of hyperbole that may drive clicks. So, more power to you. You've got some very nice photos, but you've just mislabeled and misunderstood what they show. So, go back and look at them and try again. And maybe check out a tape of the game if you were too busy clicking photos to see what was happening on the field, as the US fans, in the supporters section and elsewhere, weren't the problem.

6. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what he is saying, but I think that the conditions should also be noted. This was as close to Estadio Azteca as you could get, with worse security.
    FYI, I was the guy wearing the Phillies cap.

7. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, I did put down my camera and I did try to lead the cheers. For 20 minutes. Didn't make a damn difference. The fans didn't sing and they didn't cheer.

8. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, I know what I saw. I saw fans not cheering. Its as simple as that. I don't write this blog to get click. I write this blog to point out what the USA Fan should be doing. Supporting the USA on the field the full 90. If the fans don't do that, I have no problem calling them out.

9. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Oh no, I've been called out on THE INTERNET. :(
    BRB, going to kill self.

*edit*
    Well damn, I was doing pretty well after nicking two small veins, but after four straight misses I just wasn't able to "bring it". So in place, please accept this drawing I found of sombrero-wearing Spiderman punching Jesus, who's riding a unicycle, while both are on fire.
    [​IMG]

10. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    no need to get offended US fan. he is just calling it like it is.

photo evidence doesnt lie.

:p

11. dukedevil0

dukedevil0 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I guess the Mexico fans didn't "bring it" from the 8th to the 29th minute when they were completely silent and the small contingent of US fans were out-singing and out-cheering 90,000 Mexican fans.

So we should have cheered louder when Mexico was doing well? (ie. the REST of the game?). This is how sports work, the cheers get louder when your team is doing well. It's not like we were silent all game. It's not like we didn't cheer when we made a good play. It's not like we were like England fans and booing our own team. Saying that the US section was "an absolute disgrace" is being overdramatic, foolish and insulting.

I will say, as we were near the rear of the section, I couldn't tell if anyone was leading any chants. If you say you put down your camera for 20 minutes to lead the cheers, why didn't you do it for 90? (Is it fair for me to say THAT is an absolute disgrace?) Please, give me a break.

12. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm just doing my best to keep alive the BigSoccer tradition of overreacting! :D

13. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's easy to cheer when your team is winning. A true supporter cheers the loudest when his team is down.

I don't care what the Mexican fans did or did not do. All I can about is how the American fans carry themselves. My job and profession is being a photographer. I'm not part of the leadership of AO or Sam's Army. The fact that I had to try and lead cheers proves my point. My point is that the section had no organization. There should have been a kappo in the front, middle, and rear of the section helping to lead the cheers. The organizers of the section should have come together to make sure everyone there was ready to sing the full 90.

Its great when 12 friends in the section sang the whole 90, but there were 400 people in the section. All 400 people should have been prepared to sing the whole 90.

All I want is the US Fans to show up and sing the whole 90. Up by two goals or behind by two goals.

14. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who is part of the leadership of The American Outlaws and who attended almost every Gold Cup game I can say that the section was disorganized but I think there were many reason for this:

1. The actual supporters section was at an odd angle. How many supporters sections are shaped like 23A at the Rose Bowl?

2. We were dealing with objects and debris being thrown at us for much of the game.

3. The drummers were not exactly at the top of their game and the people leading the chants down front could not be heard all the way back.

4. The section was a mixture of casual fans who just wanted to watch the game and who wanted to cheer on/support the team. Also, several people came in demanding their assigned seats as oppose to making the section GA and this threw things off too. I don't blame anybody for wanting to sit with fellow USA fans in that stadium but they should have at least participated in the chants and songs. On numerous occasions I tried to start a chant sometimes they would take off but often I would get funny looks so eventually I gave up.

5. There was no water in the stadium after the 30:00 mark.

6. Some people only knew one or two chants.

People will bitch about everything no matter what but there are some things we have to accept as a young soccer nation. One of them is we're just not as good on the field as we think we are. Another thing we have to accept is that we are still a work in progress when it comes to support and supporters culture. If people expect every single section to be like Columbus during the Hex than they have another thing coming to them. There are a handful of people who travel to every single game and know how a proper supporters section should be. AO is still rebuilding supporters culture everywhere there are US games but we have to weigh those expectations in each venue. I didn't have particularly high expectations for the Rose Bowl. I do have high expectations for a place like RFK or Columbus.

15. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame the stadium a bit as well. Taking into consideration the less than ideal conditions and also the fact that it was impossible to hear the front of the section and I was only about 15 rows back. It was loud in there and the stadium layout is just really crummy.

The layout also contributes to the poor security. In a more modern stadium it is easier to control sections and police those misbehaving.

16. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    so as in being too loud, the Mexico Mexico chants drowned you out eh?

17. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

I am simply responding to the claim that the USA Fans didn't "Bring It."

Part of it was that there were 90,000 of you. I don't know understand the point of you reiterating a point I made already though.

As I already said, the other issue was that we had no direct contact with front of the section. I couldn't even see them. This is because of the weird stadium layout.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd probably call out the Mexican chants too because they didn't go the full 90. This thread is an abomination and a disgrace.

19. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every stadium has different shaped sections, supporters have to deal with it and still chant for the team

Just like Azteca. Or RFK back in the day for MLS before they placed away support in the top deck. Ya still gotta bring support for the team.

Worrisome to hear about the drumming, but other than that, what is with people's obsession with beign concentrated in the front of the supporter's section? Happened in Hartford for the USA-Czech game, Meadowlands for USA-Brazil, USA-Turkey in Philly. People I travel with park in the middle of the section to try and link up with the front so that people in the back can get more involved.

Can someone tell me why everyone goes to the front of the section?

Getting people to participate who normally won't is a problem that will continue to occur. But for those folks who want more atmosphere at US games, but then don't contribute truly boggles the mind.

That blows.

Sad to hear that, considering the chants US supporters use at games are pretty simplistic to begin with.

Simply put, everyone pays money to get to the game and get their match ticket. Once in the supporter's section, what is a typical US fan expecting? To have atmosphere provided for them? Or to make some semblance of atmosphere even though the section is surrounded by the opposition?

When the team is down, sing more. It's easy to sing when you're winning, be an example for future US fans that when the chips are down, sing more. Bringing your passion to full stop when the team is in a bind is counterproductive.

We all travel great distances to go to US games, especially to games that mean something instead of BS friendlies to line the Fed's pockets.

It's what you do INSIDE the supporter's section that counts. Not at the tailgate an hour before the game, not at the bar the nite before the game. That's easy to do. Between the first and last whistle is what counts the most. That's when your country needs you, the voceiferous US supporter.

It ain't easy to sing when the USA is losing, but if I can, you can, and I've seen plenty of US losses in meaningful games, but you must keep on. No one else will do it for you.

That said, I'll see you in the Azteca in the US Supporter's section.

20. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    this sums it up perfectly to me....

21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our U.S. supporters section is always GA. This is a given.
    Unless the game day ops rep isn't told by our USSF folks that there will be one specific section designated as GA. This occurred for us in Houston back in '08.
    Thus, moving forward, the local hinchas need to secure GA procedure at the local venue. This is step one to getting a more lively, vocal U.S. supporters section.

More drums n horns is important too.

22. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know about la but in Houston there were several people who were too drunk to do much of anything let alone chant.

24. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to that. I just want the US Fans to be there and "bring it" for every game that matters.

25. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drinking for 6 hours in the hot sun before a game against your biggest rival is never a good idea. To many people went to overboard with the booze. Control yourself next time. Or even better, smoke a bowl or two with other soccer fans.