The USA accepts invitation to play in Copa América tournament

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by Garcia, Oct 30, 2006.

1. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  2. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  3. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Hey, this isn't the official Brazil-Argentina shit slinging thread. Take it elsewhere.

4. LOS_DE_ABAJO

LOS_DE_ABAJO New Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I personally see Argentina playing with more class than Brazil who are currently having serious problems penetrating like they used to in the last quarter of the field. Paraguay and Uruguay look very solid in the back, with Paraguay having a little bit of a faster-pace in their counterattacks. Chile and Colombia look very technical and skilled in their midfields, with Chile having more colectivity and passing abilities but Colombia having better pace. Ecuador has a solid back with a kind of pacy yet offensive game that looks very promising. Peru has world-class forwards and has a very skilled midfield, yet they lack colectivity. Venezuela are very solid in the back and play a lot like Paraguay yet they don't keep as much of a possesion game. Bolivia has not had a lot of preparation for the Copa America yet because of their goalie(Fernandez), Spain-based defender Pena and Pumas's Joaquin Botero they could surprise some teams.
    Mexico has trouble playing quickly, they are very good at keeping possesion and creating options, if they play quicker and increase their solidity in the back they could go far. The US plays a very physical game based on speed and wing play but their offensive mids lack better field vision and creativity, this could hurt them. They are also good in the air.

5. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Nice and concise analysis!

6. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would have been better if you found a way to alphabetize the team names, but now im just nitpicking

7. TrDm1n3r

TrDm1n3r Member+

Dec 8, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club América
    Well that depends on what players are on the field. If you have old, experienced players like Blanco or Borguetti then yes, the game is going to be very slow.
    I think they might be a surprise this tournament. I'm not saying that they'll win anything but they are a very well-composed team in which all the players know each other very well.
    I don't think Botero is with Pumas anymore, he might be in Argentina, maybe Rosario Central.

8. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Botero was last with San Lorenzo (Arg.); a Peruvian friend of mine told me that Cienciano (Peru) was interested, but I have no idea where he ended up. Other key players for Bolivia: Raldes (Rosario Central), Lorgio Alvarez (Cerro Porteno), Arce (Corinthians).

Metro

9. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    props. great analysis.

10. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    wow this thread was a great read.
    Now a quick question. Why no invite for T&T I mean we're a stones throw away and I mean I could literally get up off my azz right now and throw a stone and hit Venezuala.
    I know we are by no means near the quality of ANY of the teams in the tornament but we would give a good fight and I think a 16 team tornament would be better than a 12 team.

Simple solution get rid of the gold cup. Have qualifying rounds for the Copa America similar to the world cup. Let the best 16 teams play. This could be the first step towards unifying the 2 confeds. Concacaf would get the exposure of playing better opposition and Conmebol would get more world cup spots if their teams are really so superior. Realistically a combined confederation should get more than the combined 8 spots in the world cup, 10sounds more resonable. World Cup qualification would be similar to Europe. I know this has been said countless times before but that's just cuz it makes sooo much sense. anyways I'm getting outa here before I get killed.

11. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    no offense but we could do an American cup if NA allows us to play them for there 3.5 slots... but then teams like canada,jamica, costa rica, trinadad and honduras who have chances of goin to a WC will ahve 0 possiblities. MExico and US will still make it .. they will struggle but with 8 spots open it will be intersting... adding mroe teams just makes the tounie bad... I mean Mex and US are the real only 2 good teams in the concacaf and are the power houses and are as good as the otehr SA countries other than BRa and Arg.. and make the tournie intersting adding 4 more teams would prob be costa rica,panama, trinadad and guatamala or honduras... u do that and big teams will jsut not take it seriously and send youth players to take these teams

think chile is playin haiti and cuba this month and have just been bringin 2nd division and 4th string players

12. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    ppl seemed to take the world cup serious enough even with "minnows" like T&T playing. I guess I just will have to disagree with u on that point.

Oh and I think most teams in Concacaf still would have the same chance of qualifying to the WC as they do now if they were to merge the conferences and maybe add 1 or 2 spots to the WC but that's just me.

And you're not offending me I know we're seen as small fry to u guys and rightfully so but the only way we can improve is by playing better opposition. Thats the main reason CONCACAF is as weak as it is.

13. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    You already have tough oposition with Mexico and USA. Those are very good teams, right now I would say they are better than most S.American teams. I know you would prefer Argentina and Brazil but do you think they would like to play with much weaker concacaf teams when they already have solid S.American teams about?

I like CONMEBOL qualies because they are certainly the most competitive and fair in the world, everyone gets to play everyone home and away, its the best system and there are no weak oponents anymore. Venezuela used to be poor but they have cought up with the rest, ever since their 0-3 victory over Uruguay in Montevideo. Bolivia is always dangerous at the hight of La Paz, so is Ecuador in Quito. Some teams are better matchups for other teams, others have difficulty playing against certain nations. All in all it is a fun and very exiting competition.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

14. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    that's why CONMEBOL gets pretty much nothing out of a merger. CONCACAF does, but CONEMBOL...I guess more WC spots. That's about it.

15. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    not that some concacaf teams will never make it... it will just take them a very very long time... look venezulea has never made it yet... and they are to me at least 100x time better tahn trinadad,Panama or guatamala.... but they wont make it for a while because most the nations in comenbol have been playin soccer as their #1 sport for the past 100 years... and their leagues and youth systems are way more advanced... but u are right the only way to get better is to play better teams

another huge huge problem with concacaf teams is you have god like players but then they choose not to play for ur NT and play for a european team... I remember there was an amazing Jamacian or Triadadian palyer who played for england and now Canada's best player is on the english NT too... it just sucks... also ur countries dont really have that big of a pop... its really hard for a country that has 1-2 million people to face a country that has 30 million... which is the problem in the concacaf u have 3 huge countries facin off with litle tiny island that really have no national leagues...

16. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    You guys are all forgetting one very important thing. If the 2 conferences were to merge smaller teams would not havce to beat ALL of the teams like Brazil Arg etc. There may be only one super strong team per group. Now if lets say the first place team qualifies automatically then 2 or 3 of the best
    2nd place team, as per europe, qualifications for these smaller teams would technically not be much more difficult than it is now.
    Also what would conmebol gain? Well the thing u guys seem to want most of all, an easier road to the World Cup. I.E. the solution to the same problem u guys keep complaining about. Seems like a win win situation to me. Just my opinion.

p.s personally I think we could take Venezula ;) it could be a good rivalry.

17. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    You are however right about the population issue and the resulting lack of depth of most concacaf teams but still if a relatively small country like holland can be a world power why can't some of the concacaf teams someday. A pipe dream maybe but it could happen

18. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa

19. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Personally, I think it would be neat to have the top 4 finalists of the gold cup and copa america go at each other in a tournament.

I'm not too sure about the Gold cup, but the Copa America is played every 2 years, so there could be a tournament in between Copa America years (with exception to the World Cup, of course)

20. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    They've changed that now. Starting the next edition, it will be every 4 years.

21. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    any word on USA and next copa america?

Concacaf just regulated Mexico's participation to a team of U23 plus 5 any age players.

will that goes to USA too? any word from the usian federation?

22. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not heard anything, I am guessing we will not be invited back, even though I would like the USA to go.

23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    CONMEBOL only invited 2 teams this year, and they are Mexico (duh) and the most surprising team ever invited...Japan.

Yes Japan and Mexico will be the 2 invitees to Copa America 2011. should be interesting.

24. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Its not surprising, they have played Copa America before

and considering Toyota and Nissan have sponsored plenty of CONMEBOL events before it shouldn't cause shockwaves

25. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    you make a good point.