The USA accepts invitation to play in Copa América tournament

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by Garcia, Oct 30, 2006.

1. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    what about a big south american?

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The rumor mill up here in the US says we're bringing our best team (i.e. European based players) to the Gold Cup this summer. The reason would be that it is our own confederation's championship, gives us entry to the confederations cup, is played in the US so we should want to make a good impression, etc. I know, I know the Copa is more prestigious, but tell that to the guy at the bar watching on ESPN. He doesnt' know that.

We'd then bring the MLS based players to Copa America. We surely can't bring the same players to both, as MLS plays during that time, and European-based players can't spend all of their off-season playing multiple tournaments.

If the US brings their MLS all-stars they won't make the second round. If they bring the European players like Onyewu, etc. they have a shot.

3. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    No trolling!

Let's keep this thread open for civil conversation.

4. TrDm1n3r

TrDm1n3r Member+

Dec 8, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club América
    That's so you can have an excuse for going out in the first round of Copa America, which would probably still happen even if you bring your "best" players.

5. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Let me say this one more time.

This is your final and very public warning...to all posters here.

I know you can do it, that is why this thread is still open for all of you to share your civil opinions. It's just that these little jabs seem to snowball and get out of hand.

Thanks for all your cooperation.

The WR forum is the place for banter.

6. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Your team sucks! :D

7. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    dammit, what did i miss?

spazzmania led by the Great TweenUSA.:D

8. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    LAME.

Honestly, it'd be nice if the USSF gave a crap about what's more important. The Copa America is more important, period! As for the man in the bar, I bet he would understand which is more prestigious, on the basis that one tournament features Brazil and the other doesn't.

9. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Who gives a shit about getting an invite to the Confederations' Cup? Yeah, it'd be nice to play a warm-up tournament the year before the WC, but why not give our guys the experience of playing a world-class team THIS summer? We should be able to win the Gold Cup with our MLS-based team, and give our best players the experience of traveling to a hostile environment and playing in a very historical tournament.

I don't care if Brazil or Argentina don't bring their A teams. Let's bring our best and see how we do against the best teams in our hemisphere.

10. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    That would be a good choice from the US because many sides in S.America will bring A teams or very close to A teams anyway. This is because there are no qualies running at the same time, plus most S.American teams want to make up for their poor performance in the German WC and last qualies. So the competition should be fierce, the US and Mexico should make the most of this year's Copa America.

11. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    hey a brazil b team or even a brazil u23 team is good enough to beat any one in the world!

12. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, which is why the U.S. should bring our best, to give us experience in a tournament with tough international competition.

13. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

LOL Then why does brazil lose on the regular to Argentina.

14. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    they can doesnt mean they always do and i meant argentinz too i just forgot to include them.

15. Lono

Lono Member

Jul 1, 2000
    Campinas, SP - Brasil
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    Wow no one really wanted to talk about that one did they.

16. Lono

Lono Member

Jul 1, 2000
    Campinas, SP - Brasil
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    A shot at what? Winning it all? When a Euro or SA club plays the MLS, and their fans use the "not the full/ real squad" excuse, it doesn't fly, so why should it in this case. And if you don't think a MLS squad will do well, what does that say about the MLS in the international stage? From what you read on this board, you'd think an all-star MLS squad would do well and challenge most teams.

17. Lono

Lono Member

Jul 1, 2000
    Campinas, SP - Brasil
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    On the regular??? Neither one can claim dominance in that rivalry. It's like 36 victories for Brazil and 35 for Argentina and a load of ties.

18. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the USA could skate to the semis of the gold cup with 2nd tier MLS players....its after that they may need the top roster. I can see the USA playing their top players less in the beginning of the gold cup, if they are going to go to the Copa.....

19. puromorelia

puromorelia Member

Mar 1, 2005
    L.@. california
    I found this Article regarding the Brazil / Argentina rivalry

its from : Argentina and Brazil football rivalry
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Important Competition games between Argentina Brazil

World Cups Brasil 5 - Argentina - 2

Copa America Brasil 7 - Argentina 14

Confederations Cup Brasil 2 - Argentina 1

Olympic Gold Brasil 0 - Argentina 1

Pan American Games Brasil 4 - Argentina 6

Roca Cup (d) Brasil 8 - Argentina 4

World Youth Championship Brasil 4 - Argentina 5

So as we can see in important competition Brasil has 30 Titles for 33 of Argentina but the Dominance has been leaning towards Brasil as of late...

Their Most recent victories against Argentina are:

Copa America 2004 Final OVER argentina by PK!
    Confed Cup 2005 Final OVER argentina 4 - 1
    Friendly in England with Victory for Brasil 3 - 0...

Overall they have played a total of 88 Matches, 33 Victories for Argentina, 21 Draws and 34 Victories for Brasil....

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Here's what it comes down to. The MLS will be playing the same time as both of these tournaments and there's also a youth world cup this summer (U-20's?). As we all know if the US has some good players, but they don't have the depth that other nations have. They simply can't bring their best team to all of these tournaments. So the federation needs to decide what the main focus is. Well, it's our own federation's championship. Simple. So the rumor is we'll bring our best players for that, and more of an experimental lineup to South America. I know it's a backwards way of thinking, and surely the South Americans on this board won't understand it.

Here's the thing, we'd love to go to the Confederations Cup. The only way to do that is thru our CONCACAF Gold Cup.

21. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree you win the Gold Cup and get the Confederations Cup. It is a 2 for 1 deal. We will get to play the Copa anyway.

22. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    on the regular? we just lose to Argentina in Buenos Aires... we win in Brasil and neutral ground

23. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

ENOUGH SAID!!!!

VAMO VAMO ARGENTINA!
    VAMO VAMO a GANAR!

24. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Considering that in head to head matches, only recently was brazil able to edge in ONE more win, and that being followed by a certain winning streak over the last few years. I would say that the statement I fairly true. I know you don't speak from a point of fact but rather from a place in your heart. To that I'll respond.
    Dale Campeon! Dale Campeon!!!!

25. Lono

Lono Member

Jul 1, 2000
    Campinas, SP - Brasil
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    [​IMG]
    before

[​IMG]