The US Supreme Court Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be he's doing that purposefully or just as likely that he doesn't care how it actually works.

bigredfutbol, rslfanboy and xtomx repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Either way, I cut zero slack for Supreme Court justices who get the facts wrong. It's a research job.

xtomx repped this.
  3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No disagreement here. Same for Kavanaugh who got a basic fact wrong about Vermont election law two weeks ago.

bigredfutbol, sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I might be wrong, and correct me if I am, but my impression is that Roberts is a stickler for getting things right. I don't mind that sort of conservative. I don't ask that people agree with me. I merely ask that they 1) be honest and 2) do the work.

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is, at least that's what I've heard about him. It's embarrassing for the CJ, I'm sure. But I don't know to what extent his chambers goes over other chambers' opinions with a microscope. It's much more embarrassing for Kavanaugh and his clerks. Messing up a basic fact about something like that should never be missed during editing.

bigredfutbol and xtomx repped this.
  6. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Blame the intern.

Dr. Wankler and MattR repped this.
  7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I know you're making a joke, mostly, but I will answer it seriously: It's Kavanaugh's job to check everything that the interns provide. It's his name on the document. He just flat-out failed, badly.

bigredfutbol, Dr. Wankler and xtomx repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    LOL

If you want to talk about people who live in an elite bubble it's senior appeals judges - not all but definitely some :ROFLMAO:

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I don't really get how that would have happened

Isn't the appeal and subsequent judgement related to the pleadings under argument? Or can the Justice introduce stuff that the parties did not argue and was not put to them?

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes.

This is what happens when you promote poor quality people.

soccernutter and bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And when a certain party starts using lifetime appointments to the Supreme Court as patronage gigs for party hacks.

bigredfutbol and crazypete13 repped this.
  12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's absolutely the Justice's job to do a final round of editing --- that is if they care about their work. But one thing needs to be clarified --- these are not interns. They are law school graduates, usually at least a year out, having already clerked for a circuit court judge or a very high level state appellate court in rare instances. Additionally, they are almost always highly ranked in their class and on their school's law review. They shouldn't be making these kinds of mistakes.

Zamphyr, soccernutter, EvanJ and 2 others repped this.
  13. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    “Kavanaugh was treated very badly”

The Dems tried to keep him off the court because of high school pranks. Just as they tried to stop me being prez over locker talk.

14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not really sure what you're asking. The incorrect statement about Vermont's election laws in Kavanuagh's concurrence wasn't the focus of the issue on appeal, which was about Pennsylvania's law. Kavanaugh mentioned Vermont and a couple of other states as a comparison of states who had made changes to address the pandemic versus those that hadn't. He got the facts about Vermont wrong, but the issue on appeal didn't hinge on that.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - but where was he getting that stuff from?

Presumably not the pleadings?

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not. So?

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I was wondering to what extent a justice goes free range. Or whether this example was made before the court and then he got the facts wrong when he included it?

I get that it wasn't a key issue in the case.

18. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    The opinion with the error (which was later corrected) is Kavanaugh’s 18-page concurrence in denial of a stay.
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/20a66_new_m6io.pdf#page=6
    Given the time-pressure in considering a stay motion, errors like this are all but inevitable where a Justice thinks he needs to write 18 pages.
    Roberts’ concurrence is 1 paragraph.

19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I've read it. And I find the dissent more persuasive.

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It would be very interesting to know where he included this nonsense from. I guess from the GOP lawyers pleadings? It is strange choice of language ...

21. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    https://twitter.com/GOP

22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4072 yossarian, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Who knows, but Kagan specifically calls him out on this very passage. As for your earlier question: it wouldn't be considered "going free range" to take judicial notice of what the law is in other states, at least not in typical U.S. appellate advocacy. Here, Kavanaugh is pointing out other states haven't changed their deadlines despite the pandemic, as a contrast to what the District Court said should happen in Wisconsin (I misspoke earlier when I said Pa.). He was just wrong factually in using Vermont as such an example. But the fact that he provided examples of what other states have done/are doing wouldn't be considered improperly going outside the record. It's dicta, in that it doesn't ultimately answer what exactly the Wisconsin legislature did or did not do here, but it's not out of bounds.

Btw, if you want an example of SCOTUS improperly going beyond the record on appeal, look no further than Citizens United. It's ridiculous how the majority bent over backwards to address whether the statute at issue was facially unconstitutional when the plaintiffs specifically had only made an "as applied" challenge. Stevens's dissent hammers on this and complains that the majority ruled on a facial challenge without ANY trial court record on the issue, because it wasn't an issue below. In normal circumstances, the proper way to handle such would be to remand the case to the trial court so that a record on that issue could be created.

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Thanks Yoss

Reading through it - it would seem likely counsel made this point? As it would seem like a good argument as to why the court shouldn't change the deadline, given other states actually did, therefore presumably WI did not want to. But I agree it is Obiter

In any event a bad look!

24. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the look is "he likes beer" and maybe his clerks do too. Luckily, given how things currently stand in Wisconsin, Kavanaugh's crap concurrence shouldn't matter.

crazypete13 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  25. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read a book about them called Sorcerer's Apprentices. The most common law school they come from is Harvard. The normal process is to apply to clerk for a circuit judge during a person's last year of law school and apply to clerk for the Supreme Court during their year clerking for a circuit judge. The Supreme Court only takes cases when a person's federal rights may have been violated, so I would expect that to make justices not want clerks who apply while clerking for state judges. Originally they were like secretaries. Now they have influence. Candidates normally apply to every justice because of how hard it is to get selected, so there will be times when a justice and one or more of his or her clerks disagree about many things. Clerkships last for one year, and the Supreme Court follows a school year schedule with a summer break. Each justice has four clerks, so there are 36 per year. Clerkships don't pay that much, but in addition to the influence and experience, it's special to put on a resume. Some clerks became justices, including Chief Justice William Rehnquist. Clerks review petitions for certiorari, and many petitions get dumped without being seen by any justices. One thing that makes a case more likely to be taken is if it affects many people. Roe v. Wade is important because it established a constitution right to abortion during the first trimester for all Americans. It's not famous because of its impact on Roe. Clerks are not allowed in oral arguments or the initial vote when the opinion is assigned. Clerks are involved before and after that.

dapip and yossarian repped this.