The US Supreme Court Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Same comment. They’d need to retire and trump/Mitch ram one through by Jan 3rd. Unless of course the Republicans keep the senate

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP. The new Congress gets seated a couple weeks before the president.

It would be the shadiest ********ing thing ever if the GOPs lose the Senate and put in a Trump appointee. I don't even think they could pull it off; I (perhaps naively) believe that Lamar Alexander and Mitt Romney and one other (Murkowski?) wouldn't do that.

sitruc, charlie15 and JohnR repped this.
  3. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    If I’m RBG...my instructions to my family are: if I go before Jan 20, 2021, you Terri Schievo my ass and ask those ********ing hypocrites for their thoughts and prayers

sitruc, Mike03, charlie15 and 3 others repped this.
  4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Collins would think that trump would have learnt his lesson.
    If she’s still around.

dapip repped this.
  5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If he is going to retire, it will be in August-September, before the election.

onefineesq repped this.
  6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he retires after the election, it is likely too late to replace him before the new Senate takes over.

dapip and xtomx repped this.
  7. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Would probably be effective I driving GOP turnout. He could always announce and either recant or give Mitch prep time to tell trump who he wants

but I do agree with Dave....if they through a post election SCJ....expand and make them irrelevant

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The announcement would drive Dem turnout too. Lots of bitter memories from the Garland fiasco.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Collins would think seriously about voting against that nominee.

xtomx repped this.
  10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of things about the last page or so:

The Dems should not expand the court. We have already ********ed up going nuclear, and what would stop the next Republican set from going further. Imagine the current president doing that? You think the Reps won't try that shit again?

Also, the assumption is the Dems will get the Senate. That is a hope, but not certain. I think it will happen, and I think McConnell might even be one who loses. But the numbers at this point don't say it will happen.

Biden should run on this issue, getting the Senate back and getting a justice to replace RBG. If the Dems don't get the Senate, and RGB either retires/dies, and McConnell holds up the nomination, the Dems will definitely win back the Senate in 2022.

11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Packing the court can only happen when you control all three branches. So the assumption is in response to a sweep and a lame duck SC confirmation. This is after refusing a hearing on Merrill Garland justified by “It’s an election year”. If that happens....I will lead the charge with my newly sharpened pitchfork to drag these ********ers to the guillotine if they don’t go nuclear.

Your concern aside.....a guaran********ingtee you that Republicans will pack the courts the next time they have all three....regardless of what the Dems do during their administrations....if for some reason the court ends up left leaning.

the left is not dealing with an honest adversary. Stop acting like it is.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing.

What's your point? No, seriously, what's your point?

dapip, Moishe, usscouse and 1 other person repped this.
  13. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    song219 said:
    I heard a rumor that Thomas was going to retire soon. If Trump loses look for him to retire in Nov-Dec.

But...but...what do you think would happen if he didn't want to retire? I wonder if Cheney still invites SCJ's to go on hunting trips. :ninja:

14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not capable of anything else.

NORML and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gorsuch is a bit of an odd duck. No, he's not going to be a Justice Souter, but he's not a complete toady. It was interesting during his confirmation hearings, one of my classmates who leans waaay left and is now a Justice on the Supreme Court of Colorado supported him --- at least as far as his character was concerned based on her working with him for a while at U. of Colorado law school. Her take was basically for a Republican nominee, Gorsuch was probably the best you could hope for.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Republicans tend to be much more motivated by the supreme court makeup than democrats.

Perhaps that has changed, I do not know.

17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I think all trump knew of Gorsuch was that he was a conservative republican. But Gorsuch knows he’s in this for the rest of his working life. Whereas trumps will only be in as long as Barr will...,,,,,,Oops

Kavanaugh, I think trump had his measure.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's good to hear. I can respect that sort of judge. He won't please Trump if he has principles, though.

19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Will it matter in 100 days. Geez, I hope not

20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trump really isn't picking any of these guys himself. Leonard Leo and the rest of the Federalist Society crew and McConnell are running this. Gorsuch's FedSoc pedigree is still high even if he occasionally has a bit of libertarian streak to him.

21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Trump's only experience with judges is in bankruptcy court and divorce court.

dapip repped this.
  22. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    are you sure this is what you wanted the rest of us to read and conclude about you?

Moishe repped this.
  24. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As an interesting aside do you think there is anything to the argument that once Gorsuch got appointed he doesnt need to politic anymore

25. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was essentially my hope and with him being a 10th Circuit graduate & experience in tribal sovereignty / treaty responsibility, it makes him a nice balance to the more east coast legal side of the scales