The US Supreme Court Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3026 Yoshou, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Yes, but with how quickly the news cycle spools up now adays, waiting until the next day was too long. He should have apologized for his wording yesterday.

NORML repped this.
  2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    His failure to respond...and then his piss poor apology/non apology...is going to put Dems in the position of either having to censure him or be perceived as defending one of their own for threatening judges.

And no - saying that he should not have used the words he used, or saying he’s from Brooklyn and used harsh language...is not an apology. And not anywhere near good enough. Particularly after both he a SPOX whatabouted out of the gate. And are basically still doing it.

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    According to some strains of quantum theory, there are an infinite number of universes. In absolutely NONE of them would a Republican apologize for saying what Schumer said.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is one of the good things of being a Repug.

2 different set of standards.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Q said.

******** 'em. When they go low, we go high? Tell that to Justice Garland. He shouldn't apologize one damn bit, he should double down and bring out the receipts.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I mean if Brett was in tears like he was at his hearing, maybe Chuck can send him a nice fruit basket

chaski repped this.
  7. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    maybe, maybe not

but IN THIS universe, Schumer DID NOT 'apologize' just offer some half-assed version of i misspoke, they misunderstood, Republicans bad

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, correct: when it comes to respecting traditions and institutions, they are. Quite bad, actually.

The idea that Republicans should be allowed to destroy long established means in order to gain power, while Democrats should be held responsible for upholding those means, just enables Republicans to consolidate power far beyond their actual numbers in society.

This sort of thing has happened before. I doubt if it's a conscious choice, but Roberts has strong similarities to Carl Schmitt.

NORML, Cascarino's Pizzeria and JohnR repped this.
  9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No, but the Republican should.

10. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    it’s not that hard to both apologize and call out the hypocrisy with receipts.

here:
    I should not have used those words. They were inappropriate and beneath my office. For that I unequivocally apologize to my constituents, the American people, and more importantly to the Supreme Court justices.

With that said, I eagerly await both Justice Robert’s admonition of, and President Trumps apology for, (insert judicial attack receipts). I am sure we can all agree both are long overdue.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Nah, playing fair was so Obama-esque. And I get why he had to dial it back with Whitelandian Repubs & their rabid constituents. But we're far beyond those days.

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness to Roberts, he has called out Trump's attack on judges.

NORML repped this.
  13. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Strike that part then. But I think he didn’t say shit last week when Trump called for RBG and sotomayer to recuse in any Trump related case.

NORML and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So far as I can tell, yes. He's pretty inconsistent on this sort of thing.

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not addressing every instance, but he has made it clear that Trump's attack on Judge's based on who appointed them is inappropriate. Obviously, that didn't slow Trump down any, but there really isn't much point in repeatedly pointing at his comments from 2018.

https://apnews.com/c4b34f9639e141069c08cf1e3deb6b84

16. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    A six-pack would be better.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  17. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #3042 usscouse, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    ............and the judges hit back at Roberts. From FOX.

Disorder in the courts: Federal judge blasts Chief Justice John Roberts

A federal judge leveled harsh accusations against Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts and the rest of the conservative majority, claiming that they are “actively participating in undermining American democracy.”

Judge Lynn Adelman of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin blasted the Roberts-led court in an article titled “The Roberts Court’s Assault on Democracy,” set to be published in the Harvard Law & Policy Review.

“[T]he Roberts Court has been anything but passive,” wrote Adelman, who was appointed to the bench by President Bill Clinton. “Rather, the Court’s hard-right majority is actively participating in undermining American democracy. Indeed, the Roberts Court has contributed to ensuring that the political system in the United States pays little attention to ordinary Americans and responds only to the wishes of a relatively small number of powerful corporations and individuals.”

Adelman pointed to two particular types of cases. First were those dealing with what he called “direct assaults on democracy such as cases that affect voting rights.” He said some cases have hurt minorities by weakening the Voting Rights Act. In a recent case, the court refused to intervene in partisan gerrymandering.

The second type of case Adelman described was where he said the court “increased the economic and political power of corporations and wealthy individuals and reduced that of ordinary Americans and entities which represent them.” These included Citizens United, which said that corporations enjoy free speech protections that allow them to spend large sums in connection with elections. Adelman said that this decision “weaponized the First Amendment.”

Adelman was even unhappy with Roberts’ own opinion and key vote that upheld ObamaCare because it knocked down its expansion of Medicaid. He said this “thwarted Congress’ efforts to address one of the most serious problems that the poor face, the lack of health insurance[.]”

The judge did not reserve his ire for the Supreme Court alone. He took shots at Senate Republicans for their handling of President Barack Obama’s nomination of Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court, which GOP senators ignored in order to allow Obama’s successor to appoint someone else – this resulted in President Trump successfully nominating Justice Neil Gorsuch.

Adelman went so far as to compare the Republican senators to pro-slavery Southerners.

“The zealous partisanship the Republicans displayed in connection with the Garland nomination, as well as judicial appointments generally reminds one of nothing so much as the ‘fire-eaters,’ those fervent defenders of slavery who pushed the South into the Civil War,” he wrote.

Ultimately, though, Adelman’s focus was on Roberts, insisting that he has exhibited a harmful bias and that his description of a Supreme Court justice was of an umpire who “calls the balls and strikes” was “a masterpiece of disingenuousness.”

He concluded with a dire warning that the current state of the judiciary has contributed to “a new and arguably dangerous phase in American history” that requires fixing and necessitates “every bit of democratic resourcefulness that we can muster to undo the damage that the Court has already caused.”

dapip repped this.
  18. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sound you all heard was the end of the legitimacy of the judicial system in America.

The Jitty Slitter and usscouse repped this.
  19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hold my beer....

Said Brat Kavanaughty...

xtomx, Auriaprottu and sitruc repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Susan Collins remains highly concerned

xtomx, usscouse, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Counter-intuitively, it will be Democrats who stop adhering to the norm of judicial supremacy. The Roberts Court's decision last night means that it will almost certainly issue another similar verdict in the coming months, and Democrats will likely ignore it.

22. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Informative tweet explaining the upcoming arguments re trump tax returns that SCOTUS will hear shortly.

for those that still think Roberts has a reputation that is salvageable....these decisions will be remembered forever. I fear these decisions will be nothing about balls and strikes

1250763891157630976 is not a valid tweet id

23. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #3048 usscouse, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Interesting!!!
    I feel they’ll go Trump, their saviors, way.

24. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Frau Merkel, if youre listening. If you could find the Deutsche Bank records concerning Mr. Trump Im sure our media would reward you greatly.

xtomx, usscouse and JohnR repped this.
  25. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland