The US Supreme Court Thread - Post Roe v. Wade reversal edition

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jun 27, 2022.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it's gorge-ous??
    Eh? Eh?
    :p

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #527 usscouse, Nov 2, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    I borrowed this from another poster. I thought it belongs in here.

“A lawyer for former President Donald Trump described Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas as “key” to Trump’s plan to delay Congress’ certification of President Joe Biden’s victory through litigation after the 2020 election, according to emails recently turned over to the House select committee investigating January 6.

“We want to frame things so that Thomas could be the one to issue” a temporary order putting Georgia’s results in doubt, Trump attorney Kenneth Chesebro wrote in a December 31, 2020, email, adding that a favorable order from Thomas was their “only chance” to hold up Congress from counting electoral votes for Biden from Georgia.

John Eastman, another attorney for Trump, responded to that email saying he agreed with the plan. In the email exchanges with several other lawyers working on Trump’s legal team, they were discussing filing a lawsuit that they hoped would result in an order that “TENTATIVELY” held that Biden electoral votes from Georgia were not valid because of election fraud.

Having a case pending in front of the Supreme Court, Chesebro wrote, would be enough to prevent the Senate from counting Biden’s electors. Thomas would end up being “the key here,” Chesebro wrote, noting that Thomas is the justice assigned to dealing with emergency matters coming from the southeastern part of the county.onald Trump described Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas as “key” to Trump’s plan to delay Congress’ certification of President Joe Biden’s victory through litigation after the 2020 election, according to emails recently turned over to the House select committee investigating January 6.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/02/politics/clarence-thomas-trump-eastman-emails/index.html

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Clarence didnt even have to be in in it. He knows his role.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A Black guy I went to elementary school with has a son playing football there. Dad's extremely bright, wouldn't be surprised if the kid could get in without ball.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I thought the ivy leagues don't do scholarship.

I hope this brings more black athletes to HBCUs. Create some rivals for Jackson State. Frankly, I think the disrespected black NFL coaches should go turn these schools into Juggernauts.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Honestly, I'd like to see Clarence get singled out for extra horrible treatment at the end of this. It would be poetic justice for liberals to give a Black the treatment we all know conservatives dish out on a daily basis to everyone who looks like Clarence but doesn't have the power to help their agenda.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Incidentally, Ithaca is also the birthplace of Alex Haley.

[​IMG]

I actually like Ithaca. We go there for a few days each summer.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I didn't think about that. Well, maybe Dad's paying.

Deion needs to take his self-promoting ass to a PWI and stop acting like he's the leader of some kind of movement. He's a football coach, and he's not the coach of my Alma, so ******** him.

We don't need Prime carrying a torch for schools he wasn't willing to attend when he was in HS. I want my school's program to win championships. ******** watching HBCU ball on ESPN if we're not collecting rings.

Second, juggernauts require talent. The lights of White schools are shining brighter than ever, and our children are getting blinded more than ever. How many White kids told Tyrone Willingham they weren't willing to play for a Black coach? Ask him. These days, in an environment where scores of Black kids don't have a clue about racism, there'll also be a bunch of them who've had their heads filled with nonsense about who is better at coaching. Buck n***ers love them a White Shadow (old TV show lightly based on Cooley High).

9. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right.

[​IMG]

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm surprised somebody hasn't show up at one of his shows with demands that he change his name to something else.

11. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't do athletic scholarships but they do give admission preference to people who are good at sports. They just don't get a free ride. The college admissions scandal from a few years back included a few Ivy schools - for example, the Yale women's soccer coach was taking money to designate an applicant as a soccer player to help them get in, and once they got in, they didn't play soccer. The parents were happy to pay full price in addition to the bribe to get their kid in.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, if it’s the autobiography of Malcolm X, didn’t he write it?

yeah, I know the story, I’m a goal hanger, I can’t help it

marek repped this.
  13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I saw that legacies at Hah-vahd are like 33% of the yoots admitted. Or like Kushner, Daddy can write a big check.

14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's hard to believe this Clarence stuff can be real, without being a show stopping constitutional crisis

I am trying to think what would happen in one of our top judges was linked to a coup

15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a decent workout walking around that campus. I was never there in winter but imagine snow and ice must make it interesting on the slope.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They probably should have paid for a bigger sign to include a line like ". . . and was the 'as-told-to-guy' for The Autobiography of Malcolm X."

My wife and I walk by this house on the way to the Ithaca Farmer's Market, which unlike any other FM I've been to, has a couple of Black vendors. Bought honey from one of them.

taosjohn and xtomx repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We walk up one of the gorges to campus, have a light breakfast at a coffeeshop, then walk back to our hotel on one of the streets. That street is so steep that if you're not used to hills, you'll feel the effects of walking down on your thighs a bit later.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Correct. But Ivy League financial aid for lower- or middle-income kids is extremely generous, as the attached table indicates -

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/cornell-university-2711/paying

In practice, kids from less wealthy families may well find it cheaper to attend an Ivy than to go to a state school on a "full ride," because outside of football/basketball (meaning, for example, for men's soccer, where true full rides as as common as U.S. World Cup victories) those full rides are mostly just the exaggeration of proud parents, and are instead partial scholarships that leave a lot of gaps to be filled.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's another aspect in that there's some controversy about how much Haley may or may not have altered what Malcolm X said in order to mainstream him. IIRC from 40 (damn I'm old!) years ago, right in the middle of that whole process, Malcolm turned away from NOI and toward mainstream Islam; that was the motive for his murder.

My point is, maybe Haley WAS the author of Malcolm X's autobiography. It was published posthumously, remember.

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Went to this one as a yoot in Paterson. I reckon there are a number of POC with stalls nowadays.

download (1).jpeg

21. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    So this seems like a big deal. A co-founder of the Federalist Society wrote an amicus brief disagreeing with the Policy that state legislatures have supremacy over elections, and now the board of the Federalist Society has voted to refuse him the right to be addressed as co-founder.

xtomx and superdave repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    No sure I'd wanna be labeled as the co-founder of the Federalist Society. But everyone has their freaky side.

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This Turd of Shame for SCOTUS. Has to go but will he???

Fresh call to impeach Clarence Thomas after latest ruling on Jan. 6 insurrection

A long-standing call for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas to face impeachment proceedings was renewed Monday after the right-wing judge indicatedin an unsigned dissent that he would have blocked enforcement of the House January 6 panel's subpoena for the communications records of Arizona Republican Party Chair Kelli Ward.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He will not go.

25. dapip