The US Supreme Court Thread - Post Roe v. Wade reversal edition

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jun 27, 2022.

1. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that he tried and failed that a number of times the past few years.

rslfanboy repped this.
  2. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    #402 Deadtigers, Sep 24, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    Exactly because now the extremists have the numbers. He is a figurehead now. A head Justice with no power. This is probably why he didn't go into politics, because he doesn't understand the smart political play. Acknowledge why people see the court as biased, acknowledge the decisions that made it so. So now the spotlight will be back on the people who got onto the bench in a questionable manner and they'll totally be under pressure as the court to not to look partisan.

Auriaprottu, soccernutter, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has even less power to do that than he does to affect an opinion. It only takes four justices to grant cert.

ChrisSSBB, rslfanboy, Deadtigers and 4 others repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It was amusingly depressing (there needs to be a word for that emotion) watching The WSJ Op-Ed pages in 2016 switch from brutally mocking Trump's candidacy during the primaries, portraying it as a con for the unwashed rubes, to arguing why a Trump victory in the general election would make America, well, great again. I'm not sure that they actually did fool themselves into thinking that they remained party leaders, rather than followers of something that had escaped them, but to give them credit, they faked their sincerity pretty well.

The Jitty Slitter and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JohnR repped this.
  6. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I can think of a Walloon word/phrase that isn't too far off - it's usually accompanied by a rolling of the eyes and either puffing out the cheeks or shaking the head.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spill, then, spill!

8. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Walloon traditionally doesn't have a standardized written system. It's something like "o be' scusi" in my grandfather's dialect (with the "be' " pronounced like "bay" and "scusi" like "skoo - see or zee".
    In my mind I translate it as "oh for crying out loud" when something makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time. My family was using it a lot during the Trump years. A good example was the drinking clorox to get rid of covid - it's amusing in its stupidity but also incredibly depressing that he would suggest something so stupid, so the response was "o be' scusi". Like I said, it's not exactly what JohnR was saying, but I don't think it's too far off.

Mike03, Deadtigers and superdave repped this.
  9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OFFS, is the UK equivalent, I'd posit.
    :D

MattR, Mike03 and Deadtigers repped this.
  10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. But since he doesn't really seem to be able to effect any opinions, I figured he'd try something more subtle.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like what?

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="Sounders78, post: 40811615, member: 146521]It's something like "o be' scusi" in my grandfather's dialect (with the "be' " pronounced like "bay" and "scusi" like "skoo - see or zee".[/QUOTE]
    Sig

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my though.

In my mind, once the arguments are heard, the decision has been made...and really, once the case reaches the court, the arguments at this time are worthless. So I was thinking doing something to prevent the cases getting to the court, like trying to convince a couple of the imbeciles not to vote to hear the case.

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Nothing yet on 1/6 bomber or Dodd leaker.

15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    @Belgian guy ain't this your language

16. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I thought he was from the Flemish side of the country, that's why I didn't "summon" him. If he does speak Walloon, then I would immediately yield to him on the topic. My grandfather was fluent, my mom understands it, I've only picked up some phrases here and there.

17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    They are all Belgian to me. Plus healthcare best friends and a bilingual country I would assume it would be mandatory for people to grow up online both languages.

18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I was watching the documentary on Abercrombie & Fitch and I didn't even realize it that they were part of the hijab case. And of course the girl won the right to wear her job ate one but what didn't surprise me of course was the one vote is none other than Uncle Ruckus.

He never fails to show you who he is.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  19. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Most of the French speakers in Wallonia don't speak Walloon anymore, I'd be shocked if someone who grew up in Flanders or Brussels spoke Walloon.

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Hmmm. Learn something new everyday. Is Wallon latin based, Gaul or Teutonic?

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm not familiar with the term myself. It might be a regional expression, where was he from exactly?

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my recent studies at the University of Wikipedia (*), Walloon is more closely related to French - a "langue d'oil" which is native to northern France and southern Belgium, and from which standard French is descended, as opposed to a "langue d'oc" which is native to southern France, like Occitan/Provençal - but with a number of loan words from nearby non-Romance languages like Dutch/Flemish and German.

(*) Go Fightin' Citations! (**)

(**) Those are the sports teams of the U of W. Their football team is undefeated so far this year.

soccernutter, Dr. Wankler and Sounders78 repped this.
  23. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If you draw a square with Charleroi, Namur, Dinant and Philippeville as the corners, he was from almost the exact centre of that square (a very small village near Mettet). I have spent quite a bit of time there as I still have cousins who live there.

Deadtigers and Belgian guy repped this.
  24. Could it be like the Dutch expression: "Doe me een lol"?

25. It also could be a saying derived from Italian immigrants who worked in the mines there.

Deadtigers repped this.