The US Supreme Court Thread - Post Roe v. Wade reversal edition

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jun 27, 2022.

1. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Math is hard, isn’t it?

2. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn’t true. What is your damage? McConnell had the votes. Now Schumer does.

This lefty catastrophism and whining is getting on my nerves.

3. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The mistake you’re making here is elevating the needs of Sotomayor above those of the coalition. Who gives a ******** about what her besides her friends and family? In this context she’s a tool to an ends. We should replace the tool before it breaks. A less selfish RBG cost us a seat. Let’s not repeat the mistake!

4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Check your sarcasm meter.

ElNaranja, Sounders78 and soccernutter repped this.
  5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to know it doesn't only effect me.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Sonia has a touch of diabetes
    But she manages it well
    What this country really needs
    Is Ol' Clarence in hell

B1YOqT.gif

Attached Files:

Mike03, Funkfoot, KCbus and 1 other person repped this.
  7. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typically humor works best when it’s based on reality. I mean, OK, maybe it was intended as a joke but in that case it’s not a bad post it’s a jokeless joke.

Don’t we all understand that what McConnell said in 2016 was a pretext???? I’m just trying to establish our reality here.

Prawn Sandwich and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  8. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Indeed, he does.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because SCOTUS is ruling on decisions that go against the majority of The People. And that is from both parties. As an example, the Dobbs decision does not reflect the position of a majority The People of the US entire. And that is true with other issues as well. Those 6 Justices as a block are Right to the point of aligning with the Trumpists (though I would argue that Roberts is not a Trumpist, and on some issues neither are Barrett nor Gorsuch), but they does not always rule the Trumpists way.

Now I know you love your 73.4million votes, but SCOTUS rules on individual cases and does not rule on all issues that Trump voters approve of. And does not rule on all issues the way Trumpists want them to rule.

In short, SCOTUS is out of touch. Because they rule far to often with Trump and his devotees.

SetPeace repped this.
  10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, you are reading things literally and that damages your ability to understand humor. Particularly sarcasm.

Mike03, ElNaranja and Khan repped this.
  11. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why indulge innumeracy? The better response is to show the math error. More people voted for Trump’s opponent therefore they are out of step.

Auria’s formulation is one of hopelessness and innumeracy…he leaves out the bigger number on our side and also uses a big number like right wing goobers use “millions” to fool people into thinking some spending measure is wasteful. It works when people’s eyes glaze over at “illions” whether preceded by a B or M.

12. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again…humor works best when it’s based on reality. One of my favorite jokes:

Tragedy is when I get a hangnail. Comedy is when you fall into a manhole and die.

Now, nobody believes that literally but it gets at a larger truth, which is why it’s a great joke. How is what folks are doing here like that?

13. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Methinks someone should watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Young Frankenstein back to back.

Mike03, ElNaranja, soccernutter and 2 others repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For you?
    probably.

Biden won roughly 9-8. Those numbers show that the court is not out of touch at all. It's doing the bidding of almost 45% of the population.

Relax. We just want a different America than you people do. It's all good...

WE have no mechanism to do anything there. Supreme appointments are for life or good behavior. She has to resign. You were supposed to learn this in 7th grade or so.

????????????????????????????????

A less selfish RGB would have sat down so the seat could stay a Dem seat. Giving it away by staying and getting sick was what the selfish version did.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They go with 45 or so per cent of the people. That's more than enough to validate the rulings.

Face it, young man. We live in a conservative shithole. You're just now finding that out because conservatism hasn't had a true Messiah since George Wallace, and that was before your time. Ask me stuff before you go off half cocked.

Go back to Memphis and return the 'tude (plus the lashes and weave) you borrowed from your students there. The numbers are what they are, and the facts are as I listed them. What I love has no bearing on my being right. I just am.

16. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for the first, “see the violence inherent in the system” is humor based on reality. There’s a reason scenes from that movie are CONSTANTLY cited in this specific forum, because those scenes mirror things we see. And Young Frankenstein is a parody of movies that actually exist. How funny is it to a viewer who has never heard of Frankenstein?

Also, and this is on me, there is a difference between sarcasm (irony actually) and other forms of humor. We got on this diversion because people said I don’t understand sarcasm and I should have responded that irony specifically relies on a shared reality.

Think about why humor is so context or culture dependent. It’s because the writer and the audience have a shared reality.

OK I get it, humor is a thing that gets destroyed when it’s examined, like bits of the Shroud of Turin. But go back to the genesis of this…the “joke” is that nothing can be done which is bullshit. It’s not funny at all it’s just a glib plea for validation.

Dr. Wankler and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  17. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9>8

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Even you aren't this simplistic most of the time. Take a laxative.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  19. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When a coach says “we just didn’t execute out there” nobody relies, coach what is this we? You aren’t in uniform.*”. Normal people understand he’s talking about the team.

And just for the viewers at home this is a big difference between us. To me, everyone on the left is part of the team, a coalition. We’ve all seen your views on all groups except black males so we know you don’t see yourself as part of a broad, majority coalition, but as a member of a small, persecuted minority.

*Offer doesn’t apply in baseball.

20. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I got that one backward

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is politics. Bye, Massa!

22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    They don't rule pro Trump but they rule pro Conservative. Which helps all of the 73.4. Remember to get to that number you need the MGTs, the Mitts, The Rusty Bowers and Sununus or Sununi of the country and they are all anti pro choice.

SetPeace repped this.
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Might be on the spectrum. there are plenty of people now diagnosed as adults

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Today would be good-- my calendar's free all day if they need any witnesses...:cool:

ElNaranja repped this.
  25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Who said anything about him dying first?