The US backline (R)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Crazy_Yank, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those ladies are bad ass. Norway didn't get a sniff the whole game. Too bad we couldn't give out 4 WOTM awards.

2. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Load the wagon. Those four are da bomb. So are the support middies; Kylie Bivens, will you marry me?

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The back line is BETTER without Chastain. While she is very good most of the time she has moments of total loss of concentration that allows other teams to get clean breaks toward the US goal.

There is still a bit of a lack of accurate passing but that is a small problem given the midfield's ability to win so many balls back after the pass is lost.

With Boxx at D-mid providing early defensive presence in the center I doubt there will be many breakdowns in the center and the flanks are working so well that they delay the play enough to allow recovery when the ball does get deep and wide.

Defense in soccer is rarely pretty BUT the US is playing beautiful D most of the time.

Then we have Scurry to clean up any remaining mess.

Of course, with Scurry directing them, the defense has only to play but play they do. Also it looks like the entire defense is having fun and THAT makes the play even better.

I almost wish the offense was not so good so we could see the defense play more D. Nah!

4. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Blasphemer!

5. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    Joy Fawcett rocks ! she's been playing good since the tournament begins and i think her consistency is so important for the team.

6. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Ironically, Joy was the back line's weakest link in WC99 IMO. Granted, that was mostly because Overbeck was such a rock star in the middle.

Heh. Unfortunately for me, Cat Reddick already has a boyfriend...

7. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Rob Stone is flirting with Heather Mitts.. :)
    Did you notice they had her put her hair up after the first night when she kept flicking her head back every 3 seconds to get the hair out of her face...?

8. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    I saw Reddick's boyfriend on that "Road Trip" show...He looked pretty big, but I could probably take him.