The Ultimate Soccer Player to Walk the Earth

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by FuTbALLeR8395, Dec 3, 2006.

1. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thats about right regarding this topic.

There really is no ONE player that stood above all others.

Any one answer will be based on preference and opinion.

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    True enough. Specially when you consider that Pele and Maradona, in spite of both wearing 10, played different roles for their teams. I prefer to say: Pele the greatest goal scorer ever and Maradona the greatest offensive link.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Der Bomber disagrees.

4. Tribune

Tribune Member

Jun 18, 2006

Guys, I think we should take it easy and realize that there is no way to determine with 100% accuracy who was the best player ever...

I'm going to say the greatest it's Reiziger. :p

5. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Oh, hell no! It was Bogarde; a leftfooted worse version of Reiziger. He should have become a boxer.

Sorry, nice, I know you like him.

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I take it that you are still looking into the Sao Paulo championship teams then.

7. LKristinnsson

LKristinnsson New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Great Players
    George Weah
    Ryan Giggs
    Steven Gerrard
    Kevin Keegan
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Thierry Henry
    Bobby Moore
    Roy Keane
    Paolo Maldini
    wayne rooney
    Jurgen Klinsmann
    Karl Heinz Rummenigge

8. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have been watching soccer like a mad man on and off the net for the past 10 yrs..i have a compulsive disorder and a addictive personality.
    Before the last 6 years i was a average american that loves nfl,nba,boxing then baseball before soccer..hell i even like bmx and skateboarding before soccer back then.
    But now im a geek that is steady looking for knowledge of the sport this thread asked the question..here is my answer after 6 good yrs as a fan...

my opinion in my "looong and illustrious" career as a fan is .................

Renaldinho

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I do have a life but it's on the list. I assume you are still trying to claim that it is impossible to have seen Chilavert play for Vélez if you like in the UK?

10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I never actually said that, but as so often happens you misquote what was written.

I didn't say it was impossible to see Chilavert at Velez. What I said was that I didn't believe that you had. I stand by that.

11. pittsy1

pittsy1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    England, Salford
    George Best, Cantona, Pele; Now- Ronaldinho, Kaka, C.Ronaldo

12. FWS93

FWS93 Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    the Ultimate to me means only one

Diego Maradona
    [​IMG]

13. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maradona looks great now. Good that he's back on track.

14. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Diego Armando Maradona for me. Anyone that can take a small mediocre club like Napoli and lead them to winning Scudetti and European Cups is the best player ever to walk the earth in my book.

15. ninodelsol

ninodelsol New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Chicago-Belize-Mex.
    Romario (extreme bias)

16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pelé.

Yeah, everyone knows that's who I'd pick.

But who else could you pick as the ultimate soccer player besides someone as complete as him? And I mean complete. He could play in goal too. And did. And never gave up a goal.

17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree. Also, if you think of the basic desirable features of a soccer player (heading ability, passing ability, shooting ability, dribbling ability, quickness, speed and jumping) he was a top player in every single one of those.

18. Keith Weasal

Keith Weasal New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm new here so be gentle. :)
    I am of the firm belief as many of you are that Maradona was the greatest player ever to have graced a football pitch. But having seen some of the things Henry do I think he comes a close second.

19. Tribune

Tribune Member

Jun 18, 2006

:eek: Shocking...

Sorry man, Henry does not even come in top 20. Here's 20 names who would give Henry a run for his money : Di Stefano, Puskas, Pele, Garrincha, Eusebio, Bobby Charlton, Rivera, Best, Muller, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Zico, Van Basten, Matthaeus, Gullit, Platini, Romario, Zidane, Ronaldo, Rivaldo. Is that enough ?

And there are enough players who could be on par with Henry in terms of skills and accomplishments : Kopa, Suarez, Sivori, Kubala, Didi, Netzer, Keegan, Rummenigge, Hugo Sanchez, Klinsmann, Papin, Roberto Baggio, Stoichkov, Figo, Shevchenko.
    Henry has not managed to impose himself as the best player of the last 3 years, Ronaldinho taking the awards from him.

20. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    1 - Pelé, by far, the most complete player, not only a scorer.

2 - maradona, garrincha, best, cruyff, beckenbauer, zico, platini, leonidas, di stefano, eusébio.

21. FWS93

FWS93 Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Queens, New York

can you really explain why pele is the most complete player?
    i think that is nonesence. he was a brilliant finisher, but this talk of him (on n earlier post) being brilliant all around even in goal is just silly.
    he never played in europe, despite having many opportunities, he did win 3 world cups but was only totally healthy in one of them.

pele was a great player but its clear he is being very over hyped here

22. Tribune

Tribune Member

Jun 18, 2006

I don't have enough time to write an elaborate reply on that, so I'll have to quote an analysis on Pele which answers perfectly your inquiry. Read the next commentary on Pele :

Does that answer your question ?

23. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That still doesn't do it for me tbh. Some guy telling me Pele was the best with very little proof.

24. Tribune

Tribune Member

Jun 18, 2006

The poster above asked "can you really explain why Pele was the most complete player ever". If that explanation does not suffice for you, then what kind of explanation do you expect ?
    Personally, having in mind the original request, I think I went straight to the point.
    And I don't think FWS93 required a tangible proof, because, in that case, he would have searched for some games.

25. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    top 10 header of all time.
    top 10 left foot striker of all time.
    top 10 right foot striker of all time.
    great assister, great ball control, great athletic condition (run the 100m in 10.8, a incredible mark), play 1958-1973 at HIGH level.
    No bad seasons, no great lesions, any loose in personal confront in this time, recognized by the best by almost all players who have seen he playng (cruyff, beckenbauer, puskas, gérson, eusébio, even maradona say that).

maradona, for example, was a great player but lack in much points, like regularity, personal life problems influing in the play, explosive personality who make him much times sent off, doping, bad head, bad athletics....