The Ultimate Fighter - Serra/Hughes [R]

Discussion in 'MMA' started by TheSlipperyOne, Sep 20, 2007.

1. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: The Ultimate Fighter - Serra/Hughes

Please share your knowledge about MMA and why you think Hughes has done a good job so far coaching and training his team.

2. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bison: I apologize for intruding on this thread; my earlier post was wrong, and the neg rep you forwarded was entirely justified. Still the same, I had a point in my post and I beg your indulgence while I make it. You see, one of your regulars, TheSlipperyOne, has this rather nasty habit - and he's been doing it for over two years - of following me around BigSoccer and posting negative comments. My post gave him a taste of his own medicine. Looking back now, that's probably a huge mistake on my part, to stoop to his juvenile level, but as they say, one lives and learns. TheSlipperyOne has been doing this for over two years and I can cite every one of his posts. Here (Post #24 & 25) and Here (Post #135) were his earlier ones just this week that I responded to. There are hundreds more the same. I cite this explanation both as an apology for my own post and some explanation of TheSlipperyOne's routine actions. I also apologize to other posters in "The Ultimate Fighter" thread who may have taken exception to my post; yet it may have helped overall to properly characterize TheSlipperyOne's actions. In the future I will go directly to the Mod over TheSlipperyOne's attacks, but for now I apologize for stooping to his level and interrupting your Ultimate Fighter thread!

3. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    There are some people who dislike me on this site.

When I get bored I post on the political part of the site the liberals don't like me. Even though I am a registwered democrate. Sometimes I get totally crazy in those posts.

I am here because of soccer and nothing else. No one here can have a problem with me on my soccer posts because I devoted my life toward the game.

MMA a new found love for me. But just as a fan I am no expert. Actually what I really love is the BJJ. The striking I don't care about.

The BJJ is like an art to me as soccer is an art to me.

I got interested in it because my son is a BJJ practicitioner with Renzo Gracie and others.

I like it wearing the Gi or no Gi.

I get to BJJ tournaments and buy the videos.

To bad there is not enough interest in BJJ to put competions on TV like on the spike channel. I wish they had tournaments on pay for view.

I do find BJJ is not practical in a fight on street because you got to get close to use it. But if no one has a weapon and you both wind up on the ground it over quick.

4. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BJJ is growing in popularity, though not quite there to merit a TV program yet.

There are small MMA groups popping up all over - there's one that put on a fun little show in DC this past May and are apparently going to run in December as well - if this comes off, I'll be sure to post a full report here.

Not sure if any of you guys are aware of the Abu Dhabi Combat Club, but their World Championships are the peak of submission fighting - no striking at all, just rolling. This year's edition was in Jersey and was streamed over the internet, not sure if it's archived anywhere, though.

-- But to come back to the show, it seems as if Hughes isn't coaching as well as Serra, right? But then, Serra's been running his own schools for a minute now, while Hughes has been training under Pat Militech forever and is only planning to open his own school and be head trainer in January. I wonder if that has anything to do with the coaching styles.

5. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Serra s a NY street guy and so am I so I gravatate to him. I wished him luck against GSP and told him to hit him in the throat but make it look like an accident :) I did not think he would actually win but I guess you never know.

I watch some of that tournament and order the dvd.

6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

False. I do not follow ItN around BigSoccer. I regularly read the Politics & Current Events board where ItN likes to sometimes post.

False. I do not attack ItN. I do not even reply to many of ItN's posts. When I do I simply point out when ItN posts something that is a lie or does not make him look like he was thinking when he posted.

It is a service for others on the P&CE board so they can see the trolling and not have to respond. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and posters unfortunately feed the troll. I do however receive quite alot of positive rep. when I do it.

--------

Back to topic.

BJJ is definitely growing and is a very great aspect off MMA. There's a new school here in Denver that I've just started seeing ads on TV for.

I believe that fighters who aren't very good in BJJ will need to really start picking it up over the next few years because it's such a dangerous aspect that is always going to be a factor in fights.

7. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    I just saw the new edition of the ultimate fighter. I just have one thing to say about it.

Serra team is killing Hughes team.

There were 20 commercials advertising Jennifer Lopez's music, but not even one shot of Jennifer lopez's asss. I object to that because she has one fine asssssss

8. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serra does look to have picked the smarter, more experienced fighters, huh?

Paul should have known that he wasn't going to win standing up against Rude Boy, but got happy when he landed a couple of nice strikes early.

And you know what? I can understand that. But for the love of Jebus, KEEP YOUR HANDS UP! The punch that knocked him out wasn't exactly a lightning bolt or anything.

Now Hughes is up against it. Maybe he shouldn't have used his top fighter (Mac) so early?

9. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    It was an interesting show I thought. I doubt if Paul had many fist fights when he was a kid.

He said he never saw the punch comming.

Have any of you guys see the New Contender series this season? On the show they had an electronic device that represents opponents punches. The fighter had to touch them to acknowledge that they saw the punch thrown.

One fighter scored so bad on that test he was release without ever fighting. They thought it was a danger for him to fight.

They might consider using this qizmo on MMA fighters as well.

I like Danzic but he is a little strange. Likes flys more then he likes people.

Reminds me a little of Norman Bates from Phyco at the end when he says" I am not going to even going to hurt this fly to show them how harmless I am"

10. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just think. If Serra had been really smart with his picks he would have Mac on his team!

11. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What a great fight. It should have gone to the 3rd round but I don't think it was as big a judging travesty as Hughes did.

The reason I think that is because Dan only landed a few punches in the first round. Yeah, one knocked Ben down and gave him a bloody nose but other than that Ben was the aggresor, he cut Dan, he controlled the ring, he landed more shots (kicks, knees and punches) and he even took Dan down once.

Ben obviously dominated the 2nd round.

12. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Dan looked like an fing mess after that fight.

Dan loves his wife? But when he heard her go nuts on the cell. His advice to her was call her sister. Both religious right every other word out of her mouth was the f word.

If she went a little nuts he is relying on her to call someone for help? He did not even attempt to make that call.

I think Dana giving them both 5 thou showed some class. Neither of them deserved it according to the rules criteria.

Hughes seems to be having a meltdown of his own.

13. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed - I can see arguments for giving Dan the round for the knockdown but as you said, he didn't do too much else. I'd have called for a third round as well, but like Dana said, you don't ever want to leave it in the hands of the judges.

14. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hope Dan did try to make a call to someone else to get help for his wife and they just didn't show it but if not, wow.

I myself am not much for structured religion, but I minored in religious studies in college and I have plenty of religious friends of all walks of life. However, I've seen this plenty of times before and although a tough fighter Dan uses religion as a crutch. I hope that won't affect his fighting career or personal life too much.

Yeah, that was a nice gesture by Dana. Also it was cool to see Serra go to the other locker room and talk to Dan. Surprisingly Hughes wasn't even around after the fight.

I'm loving it.

- I have to say I loved Ben's attitude leading up to the fight. He just wanted to rumble. And specifically hit and kick his opponent as much as possible.

15. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle

The thing is we don't know him or her. This type of thing could be commonplace in their relationship. I know I have known some crazy chicks. And like it was stated earlier the next call may have been edited out.

Lastly yeah Hughes is going nuts. Kinda funny to watch really.

Unfortunatly (I just can't spell that damn word!) On this show if you are up against someone with a good chin, it is going to go the distance. The fighters are just hesitant enough to play it safe and try to move on to the next round. Thats why I was such a fan of the Diaz kid last season. He went all out every fight.

16. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bet on Percentages

60% that Team Serra will run the rest of the board.

20% that Mac Danzic leaves Team Hughes.

50% that Team Serra will tear itself apart in the quarterfinals.

70% that Hughes is gonna have a mental.

17. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    How about 50% Hughes pulls a Joey and keaves Team Hughes. :)

18. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    What was Hughes game plan for J-roc in this fight?

J-roc through 1 kick and it hurt George. Why not hit him with a lot of those to soften him up?

Hughes is a great fighter and will probably punish Matt bad, but as a coach forget it.

What is the purpose of this show? To introduce new talent right?

So why do they chose George and J-rock who are both 3o or older?

19. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood that younger fighters should be the focus, but they're looking at all avenues. Remember, Randy Couture's first MMA fight happened when he was 34.

And yeah, I have no idea what the game plan for J-Roc was supposed to be - maybe stand and try to wear him down because George is apparently good on the ground? Once that didn't work, maybe try a plan B and have some faith in J-Roc's ground skills?

I don't know.

You know what funniest part is?

Hughes is apparently starting his own school/fight team based on his experiences on this show.

Yeah, I'd leave Pat Militech to get trained by this guy.

20. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I can't side with the guys that got on George for not waking them up. What is this, middle school?

21. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Got the win.

They probley are going to do it more often. :D

22. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun fight last night. I might have scored the first round even - night and day with War Machine gassing himself going for the choke early, then Tommy (too lazy to check - is that right?) taking over, which continued into the entire second round.

If I'm Serra, I match him up with Mac, to make sure Hughes only gets one guy into the semis. Wonder if Dana will go for that.

23. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, that was idiotic.

24. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd do the same. I bet if Serra chose to do that Dana would let him. Nothing has ever been said that Serra has to make the match ups against guys on opposite teams. It's always been said he gets to make the match ups period.

Obviously guys on Team Serra will have to fight each other as well.

25. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Dana will let Serra make the matchups only if he Dana agrees with Serra choices he won't agree to two Hughes guys fighting each other. So who the decided the matchup part of this was all bullshiit

Serra would not even be allowed to match George against Danic before the finals. Dana wants the best match in the finals.

The farmer who fought Serra's guy in the last fight. Tapped out in the first round. If you have it taped check it and you will see.