The Ultimate Fighter - Serra/Hughes [R]

Discussion in 'MMA' started by TheSlipperyOne, Sep 20, 2007.

1. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So what did people think about the first episode and fight?

Serra made a bonehead move taking that Joe guy. You could just tell he was going to lose before even stepping into the ring.

Just on first impressions alone it looks like Hughes picked the better team.

Barerra has skills from what I've seen in the past but it pains me to listen to him.

2. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Re: The Ultimate Fighter - Serra/Hughes

Marc Danzic is a good fighter. He also trains with Marc Laiman so you know Serra was not going to take him.

You take the best fighters not just the ones you like bad move by Serra. Real good move by Hughes.

3. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hughes played Serra like a drum with the draft pick. I think Serra's a good guy, but he looks to be badly outmatched in the wits department.

Good start to the season, though. I want to see Barerra fight, too.

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

"Matt Hughes saw God in me."

5. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007

2nd show was more interesting. Danzic seems like a good guy.

Serra's boy is like a women he is weak and weak willed. Send him home to his girl friend.

The kid that fought for serra tonight was ok. Most BJJ look great when they fight guys who don't know escapes that guy had none and lost.

Hughes knew his fighter was a striker why not work on on the ground protection and escapes? Too busy reading the Bible I guess.

6. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Too busy reading the Bible

7. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle

This is gonna be a tough season to watch. I dislike both coaches. Serra is an idiot and Hughes is a narcisist (sp?).

Plus I don't care for either of their fighting styles. I'm not really interested in who wins the fight. Altho i think Hughes will dominate.

8. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Scarola is such a punk - he had to backtrack when Serra came after him again for wanting to call his girl.

I forget who said it, but one of the guys in the house said it perfectly - if she's still there when the show is over, she's a keeper. Plus, if he continues to train and help Serra coach BJJ, then he could be in line for a fight on the finale, which could still lead to a contract.

Dude is shortsighted and I don't think he lasts the season.

9. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007

Women are important but business is business. I have been married 37 years but when I get annoyed with her.

I say if something would happed to you I would be with another women the next day :)

10. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Honestly he sounds like the guys in bootcamp thinking that their girls were different. Half of them got dear john letters by the end of bootcamp.
    Women are like buses...

11. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Haha, Scarola is a chump, let him leave. I gotta say Billy Miles underestimated john, I can't believe he didn't grapple at all, where was the ground & pound?

Another season of unruly fighters trashing the house. Hughes saying fits about serra not bringing food to the guest, classic!

12. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For what they played Billy up to be, he had his neck way out there begging to be caught in a Guillotine. Good win by John.

And Scarola's even more of a punk than I thought he was - I just can't comprehend why he threw away any shot he'll ever have with the UFC, and his job teaching BJJ in Serra's schools, and his friendship with Serra. His girl must be Eva Mendes or something.

13. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Once again Hughes misunderestimates Serra's boys. I did think Hughes had the better picks originally but Serra knows his BJJ and obviously saw stuff he liked in his picks and has been teaching/training them better. Two submission wins in a row by his guys.

I still can't wrap my head around this. The dude is 28, has a 9 year old son, no high school diploma and now he threw away a chance to literally change his life. Best man in Serra's wedding and friends with Dana White and now he'll never fight in UFC, no longer have a job with Serra and more importantly a friendship with Serra.

Holy crap, he even had Dana trying to talk him down. Any other guy would have been yelled at by Dana and told to get the hell out. But they were even friends.

Plus the personality of Cameron Diaz's character in There's Something About Mary, plus her pu$sy tastes like honey, plus she's a millionaire.

Oh wait, she's living at his parents house. At least scratch the last one off my list.

What douche.

I really want to see a picture of this girl now.

14. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007

Joey is teaching BJJ but not at Serra School. Who would want to learn from him except beginners.

15. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
  16. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Wow, That is dumb move for sure. What would make matters even worse is if the girl left him for another man.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bjcwneS2d4o

Scarola did a pretty good in this match, the other fighter made too many mistakes.

17. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  18. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

The strategy of Matt Hughes:

1) Punch out your opponent.
    2) Drop your opponent on his head.

19. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007

Jesus did you see the last epoisode Hughes guy is a clown. What a judge of talent Hughes is.

20. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Haha, I don't think it's bad jugdement. To be honest, I think serra has the better calibre of fighters on his side. The only good fighter hughes has is mac danzig, the rest are a joke!

Look for the team to turn on him very soon. As for the episode, love the drama. Dorian is starting to annoy me, I don't think leaving these guys in the house after a loss ia such a good idea, so far two fighters have gone schizo.

As for the fight, it was no contest. Bowan is a turd, richie dominated the fight in all aspects.

3-1 team serra:eek:

21. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Richie overwhelmed Bowman with superior hand speed and vicious infighting.

However, it looks as if Bowman screwed up his knee there, and in the preview for next week, it still looks to be heavily wrapped up. If he did his ACL or something along those lines, that would explain things a bit.

22. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007

Bowman has no future as an MMA guy, but he could very werll have a future as a Court Jester.

23. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I'm sure the knee played a part, but when I saw that Bowman had never fought before and Richie was 7-1 (even if in small venues) I knew Richie would kill him.

They never showed Hughes talking to Bowman about what to expect the first time you get into the octagon to actually fight. Richie had the right gameplan to go straight at him because Bowman wouldn't know how to react. He caught a knee but landed some great uppercuts and even if Bowman's knee didn't give out he was going to get dropped.

Once again poor coaching by Hughes.

And what the hell did Hughes mean by saying, "We choose 4 of the next 5 fights."? I couldn't figure any way he could come to that conclusion considering they rotate picking the fights.

So did Dorian ever apologize to the camera guy? If he was smart (which the interviews show he probably isn't) the first thing he should have done, before even leaving the gym, was apologize. Hell, he could have even told Dana, "Let me apologize to the guy."

I'm glad Dana chewed him out a bit but let him stay.

24. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I love when TheSlipperyOne makes himself look like an idiot!

25. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ITN - Could you please expound and share your thoughts, as opposed to just making an attack?