The Uefa Cup

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by steve hog, Sep 24, 2003.

1. steve hog

steve hog Red Card

Sep 21, 2003
    miami
    Isnt this just about the most ridiculous tournament in the world, other than the English, League cup which is even worse. The whole situation whereby Champions League drop outs are "relegated" to the UEFA cup is a joke. No one cares who wins this tournament, and there is no need for it. I know that it gives smaller clubs the opportunity to play in Europe, but when you add this to the F.A cup, the League cup (or the equivelant of) it becomes almost meaningless. Its almost a tournament for the sake of having a tournament. A *#*#*#*#ing waste of time, that justs adds to fixture conjestion.

2. Fuerza River

Fuerza River New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    CAMPEON DEL MUNDO
    I can see your point but I think the clubs with less money should be given a shot to play for something. It could be years before Man City or Blackburn make Champions League.

I for one like the tournament because the teams aren't always the same and you can't really say which team is going to win. Plus the games seem more competitive than CL's first round.

I agree that there are to many tournments going on at the same time to even keep track of, but I wouldn't get rid of this one.

3. Basti

Basti New Member

May 9, 2002
    Beckenbauer named it the "Losers cup" a while back. I don't agree with him as it does give much needed revenue to smaller clubs.

4. steve hog

steve hog Red Card

Sep 21, 2003
    miami
    I understand that it generates revenue for smaller clubs and I accept that many clubs find a good use for it. However, in England at least, there are far too many matches. We dont even have a christmas break as many like leagues accross the continent. We have two domestic cups as well as the league, and the champions league, and there are so many that they demean eachother. Even the Champions league itself is hardly worthy of the name. Now, a club finishing fourth can enter from the English/Spanish league etc. I say get rid of the Uefa cup because although it serves a purpose its means next to nothing, and merely means more games. All due respect to Porto last year, and even Celtic who had a great run, but what soea it really mean to win it, or reach the final?

5. Pebotodi

Pebotodi New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Well, if some English team doesn't like playing in it, then they can just send a reserve (or junior) squad and be done with it.

For smaller leagues, this is their only opportunity to play in Europe, to get some funds, for the players to be noticed, etc.

6. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

A hell of a lot, it was our first european final since 1970, for many supporters the only one in living memory, which is why 80,000 of them travelled to seville.I would not have traded our run if you could guarantee the next 3 domestic titles and cups straight.
    Fact is if these clubs want to be in the uefa cup, its why some teams even bear the hardship that is the injury toto, european football at any level =£$£$£$£$

7. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, the UEFA Cup winner gets an automatic spot in the following years' Champions League.

Why is it 'so many games'. It's not like clubs will be playing in each competition concurrently. Either you're in the UEFA Cup or Champions League. If you lose from the Champions League and join in the later round of the UEFA Cup, you're not adding more games to the schedule,... if you consider the fact that had the team won, they'd still be playing in the Champions League.

Sykotyk

8. Luther_Gabriel

Luther_Gabriel New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    I think the England should get rid of the League Cup. There is really no need for two domestic cups. None of the other major leagues have two domestic cups.

The UEFA Cup is definitely a good competition. I don't like the fact that losers in the CL first round get into the UEFA Cup, but this tournament does provide a lot of good opportunities for medium quality clubs to play teams from other countries. It gives these medium quality teams like Southampton and Manchester City a more realistic chance at playing in Europe.

9. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti

Amen