The U.S. U-19 Program (2022 season)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by EXALIFTIN, Apr 5, 2022.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    This isn't personal, you seem like a nice guy. You are a symptom not the issue.
    We do not know if it was older or younger because we do not have the birthdates of everyone on all teams nor do we know who played for how many minutes. All teams have the same cutoff date to abide by. Anyone can bring younger players but none can bring older players. As proven by the Norway game a seemingly true statement to diminish the win was in fact wrong because we brought in 10 new players with 6 having to be younger for half the game. And they more than likely brought in 2 players who were older. We really don't know anything but are trying to make absolute statement that may or may not be true. But then again I am not the one making the statement one way or the other just pointing out we really don't know. It probably comes down to just a few months + or - amongst all the 20 or so players that played in the entire game. Every game played on the face of the earth has one older team and one younger team, because of so many variables on birthdates. These type of youth games try to level that variable quite abit. It's much more significant for younger players and less so for older players. In the end its influence is much less than you think it does because of this fact. I am not telling you how to react, if you don't read too much into the scores, so be it. You are free to react anyway you want, I do not care, but it seems within that not caring you also should not care about who played and what their birthdates are because you can't find that out for all teams involved equally. And the fact that not all teams including the US brings all their best players. You and many others like you seem to not care alot and post alot about not caring which in my mind is fair to conclude that you do in fact care alot more than you claim....

2. KeaneO16

KeaneO16 Member

Manchester United
    France
    Mar 4, 2020
    These were just friendlies, and the teams did in fact have different age cutoffs. No tournament rules to follow. Just friendlies during a camp in Spain.

The equipment manager thing was, I'll admit, a particularly confusing joke. I think I was attempting a Hoosier's reference? I honestly don't remember. My point was solely about the relatively large amount of information we have about our own team, and the literal none information we have about our opponents. These were people born in 2005 in Norway, which is a large, sparsely populated, very rich country in northern Europe. I think I read somewhere Erling Haaland's brother was on it. I'm willing to bet that no one on this board can add any substantial knowledge to those 2 irrelevant sentences I just managed on the Norwegian team.

3. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Haalands brother? Must have been nepotism!:p

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Holland dad is Norwegian Wolff.

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    #155 SUDano, Jun 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    What I do know about the US team is it wasn't our best team to send. And the irrational and completely made up conclusion that since we won and don't know anything about the other teams they must terrible, younger, not even a soccer player, or they are there due to nepotism is illogical, unfair, and wrong. It's an old remnant of days gone by to diminish anything US soccer by Eurosnobs. They in fact did have the same cutoff date of 2004. Norway had 2004's on their roster. You're confusing cutoff date with bringing a few younger players by a few months. You seem to think that youth rosters can only have one birthyear on them and don't understand that even with the same birth year that one team will always be older than the other. Since we don't know anything on England or Norway does not mean we need to diminish those teams, since in your own words we don't know anything, yet you make extensive fabricated conclusions.
    PS: And you say we have alot of information on our team despite the fact practically every one of us has never seen any of our players on this roster play a single game for 90 minutes in the last year. We have no idea about our team either. Rodrigo Neri, Jack Panayotou anyone?

6. Husky13

Husky13 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 11, 2019
    Actually, completely wrong SU Dano. You are spiraling here. I explained my position, it is the opposite of Eurosnobbery or putting down US Soccer. I would be willing to bet Keane06 comes at things from the same angle, although I will let him speak for himself. And, I have personally witnessed several of these players play in multiple games (each) within the past year, and know at least a handful of them extremely well. (Unless your 90 minutes reference is intended as a tricky 'out', since many of these players were subbed out late in the games I watched and did not play the full 90 in any single game.) If you knew me, you would quickly learn I am far more than a casual fan of youth soccer. I suggest dropping this rant, let's move on.

SUDano repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Surely this topic can be set aside until the next game we don't watch.

Winoman, Husky13, ussoccer97531 and 3 others repped this.
  8. Husky13

Husky13 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 11, 2019
    :)

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USL Sporting Director Mark Cartwright was on the Total Soccer Show an mentioned that he got a call from a top five EPL team about “a young lad” from one of the USL teams who played for the U19s against England. I wonder who it can be.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Wynder or Osundina are the only two USL guys that I believe played in that game. If they’ve extensively scouted these players beforehand, it’ll be about Wynder. Possible they had never seen them play before and were instantly impressed by Osundina’s pure athleticism, but Wynder is the prospect who would be more likely to have that type of interest.

TheFalseNine and Gorky repped this.
  11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Anyway he said a deal was unlikely due to work permit issues.

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"US Soccer will hold a training camp for the #USMNT U-19s at the end of July, a source tells me. It will be held in the United States. Soon there will be more information"

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Is anyone maintaining a public U19 callup tracker document? If so, could you share a link here?

If not, I have an old one, not updated in years, that could be easily adapted for use now, and would be happy to hand it off to someone.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested in taking it off your hands, Dave.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Send me some kind of message with a Gmail address in it and I'll share!

16. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to think this will be a roster very heavy on domestic players. Can’t imagine we’ll see very many (if any) players playing abroad with Euro preseasons in full swing.

ussoccer97531, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Duh. I meant Jones. Sorry, coach!

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin’s Anthony Gonzalez gets a call-up:

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roster:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Gavin Beavers (Real Salt Lake), Charles DeMarco (BW Gotschee), Dominic Pereira (Orlando City SC)

DEFENDERS (7): Tyler Bindon (LAFC), Anthony Gonzalez (Austin FC), Drew Murray (San Jose Earthquakes), Nolan Norris (FC Dallas), Mateo Pinilla (Houston Dynamo FC), Justin Reynolds (Chicago Fire FC), Santiago Suarez (Sacramento Republic FC)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Esmir Bajraktarevic (New England Revolution), Noel Buck (New England Revolution), Juan Castilla (Houston Dynamo FC), Benjamin Cremaschi (Inter Miami CF), Bryan Moyado (LAFC), Jack Panayotou (New England Revolution), Brooklyn Raines (Houston Dynamo FC)

FORWARDS (6): Reed Baker-Whiting (Seattle Sounders FC), Luke Brennan (Atlanta United FC), Favian Loyola (Orlando City SC), Sergio Oregel Jr. (Chicago Fire FC), Ethan Subachan (Orlando City SC), Marcos Zambrano (Philadelphia Union)

Pl@ymaker and gogorath repped this.
  22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 3 '04s and 20 '05s. And like we surmised, all 23 are domestic. No players playing abroad.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Since we've heard nothing (that I know of, anyway) about a U18 program, which would presumably be for 05s, I wonder if this should be read as a clue that they're gonna try to more use the U20s as the U19 program for the rest of this cycle. Or maybe it's just one camp and there's nothing broader to be read into it!

24. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    With these camps you have to expect a lot of the same players from camp to camp. They have their favorites, so not that much of this is surprising.

Among the new players, Gonzalez and Murray are both players I rate. Wouldn't say they are YNT quality, but for an exploratory camp, I don't mind it. Glad to see they get some recognition. If it was the retreads or them, I'd prefer to see them included.

I wish they included some higher upside players. Luke Brennan is included in his first U-19 camp and I rate the player, but does he not encapsulate exactly the types of player the federation loves for these camps? Safe, versatile, hard working kids who aren't going to commit a lot of errors but probably lack real USMNT upside in five years.

A little disappointing, but they have their favorites. We all do. Can't be surprised at any of this.

Husky13, TheFalseNine and Pl@ymaker repped this.