The U.S. U-18 Program (2020 Season)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Mar 15, 2020.

1. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    More than off the ball positioning, his weakness is off the ball effort (this includes the moment of change of possession especially if/when he is the one who gave it up). He s a talent on the ball no doubt though.
    Interestingly, the couple of times Weah has trained with the first team, they have positioned him as an outside back. They must at least be thinking of a transition as a possibility.
    Also, the rumor is that he recently committed to a college for next year, as MNUFC has not decided the route they are going to go with their best talents that graduate from the U17 DA team.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Do you think that makes sense at outside back? Outside backs need to give effort off the ball and read the game a lot better than Weah does. He seems more like an eventual attacker to me. A position switch makes no sense IMO.

3. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    I agree mostly. Just reporting what I know. The switch may be due to just what the team needed in those couple of practices, as opposed to long term plans for him. That I can't speak to.

He has the strength and speed to play just about any where on the field. Maybe not the pure speed you would want as a winger, and not the off ball activity from an outside back that would need to track back.

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Sounds like kind of opposite of his cousin.

5. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is without a doubt an out an out 9. His largest problem is that he is playing at a level where he is a man among boys and can get away with being lazy and any bad habits because he is technically and physically dominant compared to everyone else on the field. This is definitely something that a coach like Adrian Heath would correct.

USSoccerNova and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I will read when I have a moment (not that I know enough about any of these guys to comment), but I just wanted to say I'm enjoying reading them!

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This was the best one IMO. I think you are a little low on Sarver, but I agree with most of the blurbs about the top players.

Eighteen Alpha and David Kerr repped this.
  9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #34 David Kerr, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    I like Sarver but I think both Pepi (obviously) and Weah have more potential. Sarver is interesting because of his versatility. I just think his on the ball skill is a little behind right now. His soccer iq is one of the highest in the age group and it's obvious watching his off the ball movement. I'm worried about him being with the Columbus Crew and not having a USL team to play for.

the next two posts will be hot take central because the 2004's and especially the 2005's are a toss up.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I know Columbus sometimes uses him as a striker, but I don’t like it and I think he’s a winger only. It results in very negative football where they kick the ball long and hope he can run onto it. He also has no holdup game. He’s short and slight.

11. JacobR

JacobR New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Apr 3, 2020
    I haven’t seen too much of the 03’s but from what I’ve seen Nyeman seems best as an 8 rather then a true 10. He seems more comfortable getting the ball off of the back 4 and dictating play from there vs playing in-between the lines like a true 10. I think he may be best playing in a three man midfield alongside another 10/8 hybrid like Caden Clark, with Chifamba providing protection (but then again maybe the whole 8 vs 10 is just semantics.)

Also, when you say he has the potential to be a star in Europe what does that mean? What type of team could you see him playing for? Is there a player in Europe you’d compare him to? Love to hear your thoughts!

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nyeman doesn’t have the athleticism to play as a lone 8, and he plays too conservative the further back on the field he’s used. He’s said in the past that he likes playing most as a #8, but I don’t think he’s physically developed well enough to project well for the position. I don’t think it’s that big of a problem because he’s a very good CAM, but I think we are talking about a worse player at the pro level as a #8. Athletically, he’s not up to the job at the position.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  13. JacobR

JacobR New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Apr 3, 2020
    Yes, I agree he probably can’t play as a lone 8 but the few times I’ve seen him play, he seemed to get disconnected at the 10 and naturally float deeper to get on the ball. Is there a player in Europe he projects to be similar to?

14. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Loved it. Really good write up. I think there are a few slight differences I would have in the depth chart, but that's it.
    I think you like Sealy more than most on here.
    I go back and forth between Chifamba and Clark. Love them both, drastically different players. Clark is the more dynamic player though, but not as consistent.
    I think you have Casas too low.
    I agree that GK is the weakest position of the group. You mention that Slonina may have been the best to play with this group. Might be true. But here is what gets me...I don't even know if he is the best GK at his club at his age. I like Brady a lot.
    Some what related (and a bit homerish) but am curious if you or anyone else on here have noticed GK Jack Morris from Minnesota? He is dynamic and unrefined. The club clearly likes him. He was starting over 60% of their academy games over Emmings before the club made him their first homegrown signing. He has been in training with the first team fairly consistently too this season. He plays a fairly high line. Likes to stay connected with his defense when MNUFC is in possession. Really good distributor of the ball, especially with his hands. Kid has a canon for an arm. Likes to smother through balls before they are opportunities. He is unrefined though. He comes off the line sometimes when it might have been better to stand firm. As he gets more time in the MLS environment I am sure this will improve. Easier to pull some one back than push someone to do something they are unwilling or incapable of doing though. Beside Weah, I think Morris is the most ready for competition against men in the academy. Next would be Andrew Ellis (midfielder asked to play CB after some defenders left the club for NYRB late last fall). In time, Darboe (definitely), Straub, and Burton may be better prospects, but their time is a couple years down the road.

David Kerr repped this.
  15. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Sealy’s potential is sky high, he struggles with consistency at the men’s level but that’s not uncommon. I think Dallas will develop his game really well.
    I think Casas is right outside of the top 25 but is also not even the best dmid on the Chicago Fire u17’s which is Allan Rodriguez.
    I don’t think Slonina is the best 2004 GK but he has been the best GK in the 2003 games (no one else has been given a real chance).
    Darboe, Straub, and Burton are all fantastic prospects. Especially Darboe who is easily top 5 for the 2006’s.

BraveUpNorth repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Juan Mata (when he was good)? Christian Eriksen? I think Nyeman is a little more mobile than these types of players and contributes more defensively, but his best attributes are his passing ability, combination play and soccer IQ. He has skill, creativity and vision, but I think he doesn’t always use it like he should.

I think being used as a holding mid for the DC reserve team last season hurt his confidence in being an attacking player. He was asked to play such a conservative role that he can’t excel in due to physical limitations as a 15 year old in a lower league that when he was then tasked to play further forward and be the main creative force playing against his own peers, he had been so accustomed to playing a different style of football. I think the ability is there to be a top playmaker in world football, but he needs to not play as conservative when playing as a #10 as he’s shown the last six months.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I completely agree. I’ve been saying the same thing this season, and it’s not a slight towards Slonina. Brady is excellent.

jeff_adams and David Kerr repped this.
  18. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also agree. Brady is a phenomenal goalkeeper. It could be very realistic to see all 2004 GK’s in the 2023 u20 cycle

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was very impressed by Sealy in an FCD spring exhibition game. I’ve never noticed much about him before but he’s had a growth spurt and now is sort of a bigger, thicker and maybe better Kelly Acosta. I thought he made the right decision every time he got the ball although he got chased down on a breakaway.

20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chasing A Cup did an interview with Jonathan Gomez and Patrick Weah. Weah says he has been in contact with USSF and expected to be called up this year. Presumably it would have been with the U18s. We know Gomez was called up to the cancelled U19 March camp in Spain, playing up a year.

21. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 100% non biased opinion on this video is that it’s great and you should give it a listen.

Patrick167, gogorath and Marcus OMalley repped this.
  22. Yaya toure

Yaya toure Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 23, 2019
    Do you know who will be on the next segment?

23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caden Clark will for sure be one and we’re looking for another. Caden was going to be in the first episode but unfortunately due to the Minneapolis protests (he is from Minneapolis) he had to miss it to help with his family. Please keep him in your thoughts everyone.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I listened to it, and thought Gomez was very insightful for a professional athlete. You also have to consider he’s 16 years old, and 16 year olds are learning to drive. Most pro athletes in their late 20’s/early 30’s are not very insightful about the game. I also thought Weah handled an uncomfortable situation very well.