The U.S. U-18 Program (2020 Season)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Mar 15, 2020.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is the '03 age group. I suspect they'll be a camp at some, if soccer ever starts up again.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #2 ussoccer97531, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Here is my best 23 for the '03 age group.

GK: Jones, Cordes, Watson
    DF: Cuevas, Halliday, Walls, Che, Ferkranus, Huckaby, Gomez, Sorenson
    MF: Leyva, Karumanchi, Chifamba, Quinones, Nyeman, Garcia, Sarver, Paredes
    FW: Pepi, Roou, Bernal

Best XI:

Jones
    Cuevas-Che-Walls-Gomez
    Chifamba-Leyva
    Nyeman
    Sarver-Pepi-Garcia

ChuckMe92, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  3. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Jonathan Perez decided to come back to USA would you have him in this roster as a 10 or wing? I think he’s a quality player but this is an abnormally good age group. Also if you took a stab at a 2006 11 what would it be?

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’d drop a CB from the roster for Perez, and he’d be the backup for Nyeman.

I find this age group to be the hardest one for players to get into. I realized after I made this list that I didn’t even include Sealy or Freeman, two players that would probably make it in almost any other age group, but IMO, they simply aren’t best 23. A second 23 of the 2003’s would be extremely strong, as well.

I don’t want to put out an XI of 2006 because I simply don’t know enough. I couldn’t name an XI of players from that age group that I think are good prospects because I haven’t seen enough of that age group to give an opinion on 11 good players in the age group. Someone like @bpet15 would probably give a more informed take.

5. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I’d like to thank you for your dedication to this. I’ve probably watched 100+ games over the years of the 97s and younger, I still don’t think I’d trust my eleven. The fact that you can do this is pretty wild. I have only seen like 7 of these players play.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with all of this. The other change I would make is swapping out Bernal for Sealy because I think Sealy has very high upside and if he can continue his Nike friendlies form where he was the best 03 imo then I think he may be a starter for this group. He really needs to show it in USL and MLS this year.

For the 06’s I can think of starters for every position except one CB, RB, and LB. Every other position has an early emerged player who is very talented. Bajung Darboe, Aaron Heard, Matthew Cochoran, Mark Cajamarca, Adrian Simons-Gill, Cole Campbell, Michael Luande, Diego Bravo-Acosta, Gabriel Brandon, and Diego Kochen are all very good talents. I know nothing about full backs from that age group though. @ChuckMe92 and @bpet15 probably have a spreadsheet full of them already.

7. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Man, I wish I did and this is the time of year I would normally begin to identify this age group. You definitely have four or so (Darboe, Corcoran, Cajamarca, Heard) domestic players that really stand out, but after that I really just haven’t seen enough of them play.

Come to think of it, I really haven’t seen any outside backs that really stand out.

There is a kid named Ryan Reid at SKC that I really like. He is a winger.

My withdrawal symptoms are really starting to show up.

8. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only way to hold onto sanity is Watke's spreadsheet of all of the DA games. I have to work from home in isolation and it's the only thing keeping me from going crazy.

Winoman repped this.
  9. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Not sure how I missed that, but I just saw the excel file. Amazing. Now I can get my fix.

Winoman and David Kerr repped this.
  10. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Maybe @ussoccer97531 can start a thread for the 2006 age group, just to keep things consistent. It's very early in the cycle right now and these kids are just now starting to make their mark, but it would be a good place to go for discussion on this age.

11. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out The U15 program 2020-21 It doesn't directly list about being for the 06's but most people who will have made their way to the youth national team forums probably know that already.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So, by my count, there are already 13 03s who are signed to MLS contracts.

Javier Casas, M, CHI
    Cade Cowell, F, SJ
    Tyler Freeman, F, KC
    Christopher Garcia, M/F, RSL
    Brian Gutierrez, M, CHI
    Danny Leyva, M, SEA
    Alex Monis, F, CHI
    Moses Nyeman, M, DC
    Kevin Paredes, M, DC
    Ricardo Pepi, F, DAL
    Jonathan Perez, M, LAG
    Dante Sealy, F, DAL
    Casey Walls, D, SJ

If you figure several of these guys make up the core of their (2023) U20 cycle, it's going to have am unprecedented (for the US) amount of pro experience for a U20 cycle.

Pl@ymaker, kinznk, ussoccer97531 and 2 others repped this.
  13. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam Sarver, Mauricio Cuevas, Elton Chifamba, Anthony Sorenson, Selmir Micsic, and Patrick Bohui are the others I’m expecting to sign in MLS before they graduate high school

14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 ChuckMe92, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Not an expert on the year, but a second-team 23 might be something like:

GK (3): Gavin Krenecki, Anthony Ramos, Andre Zuluaga
    DF (8): Prince Amponsah, Niklas Dossmann, Kyle Genenbacher, Jacob Greene, Noah Hall, Adam Lundegard, Jalen Neal, Ralph Orquin
    CM/AM (9): Javier Casas, Gerardo Duran, Tyler Freeman, Jeremy Garay, Jack McGlynn, Nick Pariano, Daniel Rios, Dante Sealy, Tyler Wolff
    CF (3): Patrick Bohui-Kader, Cade Cowell, Patrick Weah

Shaping up to be a good year. There are some other wild cards like Jonathan Perez, Kevin Bright, Vaughn Covil, and Patrick Leal. (And Bryan Okoh, however unlikely.)

Pl@ymaker, KUSA77, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  15. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I think is notable about age group is that there is actual defender depth. Most other age groups have 1-2 defenders who standout but the 2003’s have guys in the second team who i think are impressive players.

ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily lately what is a weakness in one age group has tended to be a strength in the one in front of and behind. Woe would be us if every group had the very same strengths and weaknesses in positions. We sort of used to be this way with a lot of good to great keepers, really good defensive but not very able attacking defenders, one dimensional midfielders and occasionally good attackers. lots of those players got tons of caps because there was little competition. I expect those cap records to not be broken as more and better players emerge and no players ever get 150+ caps again.

17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's take a stab at a third-team 23 for '03s who would accept a call-up now. This isn't a bad team. I'm surely missing others.

GK (3): Mitchell Budler, Isaac Acevedo, Andrew Noel
    DF (8): Adrian Aguilar, Jalen Calloway, Israel Carrillo, Benjamin Do, Mitchell Ferguson, Dylan Hooper, Tom-Julian Kanowski, Eric Kinzer
    CM/AM (9): Paxten Aaronson, Kevin Bright, Matteo Carbone, Caden Clark, Vaughn Covil, Brian Gutierrez, Sota Kitahara, Patrick Leal, Selmir Miscic
    CF (3): Alex Monis, Tega Ikoba, Caden Stafford

18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patrick Weah is listed on the DA site with Liberian citizenship, but @charlie kennan confirmed Weah has US citizenship and is able to represent USYNTs; just hasn't been called up yet. Striker who trained with Minnesota United first team in preseason and could be a HGP candidate.

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But is his father the President of any country?

20. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patrick Weah like the other members of his family is physically dominant and very good on the ball. His weakness is off the ball positioning. The first HG prospect at any club comes with a risk of the Andrew Carleton treatment but he is an amazing prospect.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Weah wouldn't be the first HG at MNUFC, so it's all smooth sailing from here.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First field player. I don't count GK's because they develop on a completely different timeline.

23. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    uncle

ussoccer97531 and Pegasus repped this.
  24. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Sandon Mibut repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012