The U.S. U-16 Program (2017/18 thread)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It definitely looks like LAG defender Marcus Ferkranus was part of the US U16 camp, for those who can see his IG photos. Ferkranus was apparently a US player, not just scrimmaging against the team like Jonny Perez was.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    don Lamb, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I wonder why they changed it to U16s this year? This tournament should be used for the next U17 cycle.

5. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    The current 16s are the next U17 cycle.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    U16 BNT will play against U17 MNT (November 14), Turkey U16 (November 16) and Netherlands U16 (November 18)

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait to be disappointed!

8. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be disappointed now! Avoid the Christmas rush! ;)

9. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Just follow the players as individuals..... You might still end up disappointed, but that way at least you will have a long term perspective that will probably be more reliable than hottaking your way through a tournament (I'm not saying you do that).

10. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    doh, seeing the rosters just made me realize that is not true at all. My bad, @Pl@ymaker.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It could be that to get the Netherlands and Turkey here this year the USSF had to make a concession to them, insofar as they want to get their 03s ready for U20 UEFA qualifying, which seems to be early in 2020. Yes, the usual pattern would have been to have all '04 teams (next cycle's U17s), but maybe the Euro teams just were not forthcoming and instead insisted on sending the '03s.

ussoccer97531, Pl@ymaker and don Lamb repped this.
  12. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has to be some kind of reason why the tournament is 2 weeks earlier this year than it has been in years past. Whether that was appeasing the other 2 countries or if its for some other unknown reason, I don’t know, but there has to be something behind it.

The way things have been going, I wouldn’t be surprised if the federation wanted to get rid of it completely but had some contractual obligation it couldn’t get out of.

13. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Perhaps academies didn't want to release players if they didn't have to during the da cup.

14. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the advice.

[​IMG]

15. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Winning isn't the only measure of a program. But in this cycle the 16s are, with 1 game left to play, undefeated at 6-3-0. Wins against Italy, Macedonia, Croatia, Japan, Venezuela, Hungary, and US17s. Ties against Slovenia, Czech Republic, and Holland.

16. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Yes, and they’ve achieved this without a consistent coaching staff. Lots of good prospects all over the field

17. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

Pl@ymaker, Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  18. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramos was impressive. Don't know much about him but he made some really good saves last night.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It's a shame that they aren't going to get their own U-17 cycle, and by the time they get a U-20 cycle, the best players probably will be out of youth soccer and into the NT.

This age group is a good reason why too many people were overreacting from the U-17's play at the U-17 WC. The contrast between '02 and '03 is so stark, but one gets to play at the U-17 WC, and the other doesn't. Every country has some bad age groups. To have our best age group the year after the bad age group shows that it's more of a one-off bad age group than any type of trend with the program.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #245 ussoccer97531, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    I wanted to give my updated 2003 rankings:

1. Moses Nyeman-Still the best player in the age group, but the gap has closed. He's struggled with adjusting to playing a more aggressive style of game in the #10 possession. He plays well, but not as good as he's capable of playing. Elite soccer IQ, elite combination play, very good passing vision and creativity. Capable dribbler, although he needs to be more aggressive with his dribbling. Athletic enough and works very hard. Size is obviously a hindrance, but as a #10 its less of an issue.

2. Jonathan Gomez-I view Gomez as the top fullback prospect in the youth player pool. He doesn't have any big weaknesses. Elite combination play, elite passing vision (for a fullback), elite soccer IQ, very good athlete, quality defensive awareness, as well. He's a good positional defender. He can improve in this area (like all 16 year old fullbacks can), but its not an area he struggles with. Good size, as well.

3. Elton Chifamba-Not had a great year, as far as I'm concerned. I fully expected him to pass Gomez for 2nd, but he hasn't. If anything, Gomez has put a little distance between himself and Chifamba. He hasn't been as good as he's capable of in the DA. Physically, he hasn't grown. Size isn't a problem, but barring a growth spurt, a little like Adams he's probably in that 5'8 or 5'9 range. That isn't a huge hindrance towards his athleticism, as he's incredibly mobile with a great motor, but aerially and even in physical duels, it can make a difference. The passing range is still very good and his soccer IQ has improved in recent years. There's potential for him to be a great two way CM, but he hasn't improved much this year.

4. Ricardo Pepi-I view 4 and 5 as pretty close. Struggled at the U-17 WC, and he had a very inconsistent season at Dallas. It was good in stretches, and not very good in other stretches. He's consistently struggled adjusting to higher levels of play for club and country. I like Pepi's potential as a complete CF, but he's still a little too inconsistent for me to call him a complete CF. He's a little too much of a box striker right now. He's a capable passer and dribbler. He's a lot more athletic than most think, but he needs to show a little more of a contribution to the team game. He's capable of it. He has a lot of tools. He can score in every way, elite size and footwork, very good athlete and hold up play, His soccer IQ is adequate. Dribbling and passing is still improving.

5. Danny Leyva-I wouldn't say I'm terribly worried about his athleticism long term, but he was exposed playing up an age group at the U-17 WC. His athleticism is awkward, he looks like a kid that needs to grow into his own body. He may never be a great athlete, but I think he can be passable. I think the experiment of him playing up age groups with USYNT's needs to end, and maybe he might need more USL team. Otherwise, I'm not worried about his ability based on a bad U-17 WC. What Leyva brings is an elite soccer IQ and composure on the ball in CM, a very good passing range, versatility to play any of the three CM positions, and good enough size and defensive play. He's improved a lot in the last year.

6. Casey Walls-Walls is rising up this list. I had initially questioned his defense. I wasn't that impressed by his defense previously when he played some games in higher age groups. I've seen a few games recently where he's played in his own age group, and I like his defensive play a lot more than I initially did. Some lesser defensive performances have come in higher age groups, which is understandable. Reads the game very well. Positioning can be a little hit or miss, but nothing too bad. Sometimes players struggle playing up age groups. What Walls excels at is building out of the back. He's a very good passer with a lot of creativity in his passing ideas. He has good size. His mobility is a little below average. He doesn't put himself in bad positions often because he's a smart player, but 1v1 defending against athletic players can be slightly problematic.

7. Mauricio Cuevas-Cuevas is not a 7th best player in the majority of age groups, but 2003 has a lot of talent that he's a little lower in this age group than he would be in other age groups. Cuevas has to be the best crosser I've seen from a young American fullback. He constantly creates attacking chances with his crosses. Rarely are they not dangerous. He's not as flashy (or talented) as a player like Gomez, but he's an adequate athlete, very good technically, very good passer. Very dangerous FK taker. Good soccer IQ, can get caught out a little positionally, but nothing too worrying, and I like how he reads the game defensively.

8. Sam Sarver-This guy might be the most explosive winger in the DA. He combines his excellent pace with very good end product. He's not flashy, but he's a smart attacker. He knows where to lay the ball off to teammates, he makes smart runs, he doesn't take too long on the ball. He's grown a little physically this year. He's sometimes sued as a CF, so if he develops a holdup game, he might now have the size for the position, but I think he's a lot more dangerous as a winger. The issue here is the upside. He's not exceptionally creative nor does he posses more than average passing vision. He also doesn't have much of a hold up game at CF, as mentioned.

9. Chris Garcia-8 and 9 is very close. Similar players. Garcia is a little more dynamic with better creativity, Sarver is more consistent and currently better. The difference in dynamism isn't enough yet for me to place Garcia ahead of Sarver, but its close. Like Sarver, Garcia is a tremendously athletic winger. He can beat players with ease, and smart fullbacks give him a big cushion. He's very raw though. His soccer IQ is a work in progress, and he can get tunnel vision in his approach. He has some pretty poor games where he loses the ball a lot. I wouldn't call his creativity or passing vision elite, but its pretty good, and if he can learn to make better decisions, he has very high potential.

10. Tarun Karumanchi-Like his teammate at San Jose, Karumanchi is moving up this list a lot. I'm a big fan of what he shows from the holding midfield position. He's a deep-lying playmaker with excellent size and passing range. He has incredible composure on the ball, and he's adequate defensively. He's a little slow, but not terribly slow. If he can learn to position himself well, he shouldn't struggle too much getting around the field. He also plays a role that probably won't require great mobility either. He's far under the radar. I don't believe he's ever been called into a YNT, but I think he's definitely earned a call up to the next camp for the players in this age group.

Just outside the top 10: Kevin Paredes, Anton Sorenson, Tyler Freeman, Matthew Roou, Michael Halliday

Paredes was very close to making the list. Nearly no separation between him and Karumanchi. Sorenson's very under the radar. Very talented player who performs well. Like all fullbacks, suffers due to his position. Freeman has a lot of potential, but big soccer IQ problems. Roou has an interesting style of play and hasn't performed at a high level for very long. He's also not off to a great start this season. I need to see more of Halliday to make a better termination, but I was initially very impressed by Halliday's play at RB.

One minor note, I've read very good things about Caden Clark, but I've yet to see him play, so I'm not going to rank him here. I also don't know if he'd make the list or not.

KUSA77, kba4life1, ShaftBrewer and 9 others repped this.
  21. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I like Freeman a lot more than you do, but he hasn't looked great recently.

What are your thoughts on Sota Kitahara? These Nike Friendlies was the first time I saw him, but I like him a lot.

Not really expecting an answer from my boy, ussoccer, here, so if anybody else has opinions on Kitahara, I'm interested to hear.

22. hellraiser-82

hellraiser-82 Member

May 17, 2004
    buffalo ny
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dante Sealy ?

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not close to making the list.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I would have guessed the same thing before just most recently watching him pretty much dominate over multiple games. I would put him somewhere around number 5 (3-7 range).

Dante Sealy - He is a gliding type of attacker -- quick and elegant despite a good sized frame. He has become a very smooth athlete, which translates to a fluid, technical style. His vision is good with high level passing ability, having proven that he can pass off the dribble in addition to hitting the cross field diagonal. Finishing and execution in general are far from 100% accurate, but he easily shows enough success to outweigh any questions about whether he can develop there.

hellraiser-82 repped this.
  25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too inconsistent. Sometimes makes a decent pass but most of the time he is selfish and indecisive with the ball.