The turf might play a factor on Sunday....

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Rise and Fire, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Rise and Fire

Rise and Fire New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Iowa City
    UIowa played Northern Illinois there on Saturday. Field was in terrible condition. It looked like it was November.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a college football game between Southern U. and Mississippi Valley State there Saturday.

Also, the forecast calls for a 60% chance of rain in Chicago the next two days.

Should be interesting. Hopefully it won't get bad enough to be "dangerous".

2. ewheatley

ewheatley Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is tha game being played in Chicago anyway?: Give the East Coast cities a chance :)

3. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope there are no pointyball lines.:( That always makes the home team look sooo bush league.

4. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Perhaps the USSF can use the money it's collecting by pimping tickets for Brazil's training session ($20 a pop) to pay for a crew to paint over the lines.

(btw, I'm assuming they are profiting from it, since the ticket sales were advertised on their website...pretty shameless if you ask me, but that's for another thread)

5. saxman

saxman Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Frederick,Maryland
    AAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Why, why, why?

Chewed up turf and football lines fouling up the pitch??? C'mon, we can do better than that.:mad:

6. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    I have a baaaaaad feeling about this. I can't see them scrambling to fix the pitch after the college game on Saturday. And honestly, it would require a full re-sod thoughout the night for this to look like the pitches Brazil are used to playing on.

$75 after fees for the cheapest non-endzone seats, even in the nosebleeds. There are going to be some unhappy people on Sunday afternoon.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What do you mean why is it held in Chicago anyway? Why not Chicago? It's the headquarters for USSF and the east coast is constantly given US nats games like in Foxborough. Chicago is a huge soccer city.
    Personally I wish it was at Toyota park even at 22,000.

8. jamesl

jamesl Red Card

Jul 16, 2007
    You need to replace the batteries in your sarcasm meter.

9. jamesl

jamesl Red Card

Jul 16, 2007
    If it rains tomorrow I'd hate to be Sunil trying to explain to Brazil why they're expected to play in a mud pit with gridiron lines. I could see Brazil refusing to play. Seriously. Even without poor weather, you know how football games tear apart a field, and with less than 24 hours turnaround the field will likely be an embarrassment. Horrible, horrible planning.

10. jpoler1

jpoler1 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Bedford, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets not get our panties in a bunch. It is likely that the pitch could be messed up from the college football game played the day previous. However, you would almost have to expect that the USSF will have their ducks in a row and will have planned accordingly to repair the damaged pitch. While nothing is certain, we should remain optimistic about the pitch. I also bought 4 tickets to the "Clash of the Champions" and hope to see a good game played on a good field.

11. jamesl

jamesl Red Card

Jul 16, 2007
    You poor, poor man. Your naivety and childlike faith is commendable, but you're about to face your first crisis of faith. When it comes to USSF, being an agnostic is the wise choice. :D

12. mrecint

mrecint New Member

May 31, 2006
    Fishers, IN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A source from USSF told me that they are working with Soldier Field grounds to do their best 'tricks' to get the college lines off.

Man I hope that field is in good condition...but the game is being played in America...Brazil is probably not expecting an excellent field, but I hope it's playable. I bet BRA will wish it was played at Toyota Park... I can see the Brazilian stars won't play much if the field is rough...