The Truth:soccer Is Not Liked In America

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by ELCHIVERIO619, Dec 14, 2005.

1. ELCHIVERIO619

ELCHIVERIO619 New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    On the WestCoast!!!!
    I am only talking the United States, The truth is america doesnt accept soccer because they are not the best(not the worst , i mean no #1)America is well known because they like to be the best and the only one , that's why when soccer was growing in the world well known as football(futbol) ,America came out with the American Football to decrease they likeness of soccer ,
    which by the way america football is played with the hands not feet ,
    that's why american media doesnt even support their team that represents their country on the world .

2. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Random, wrong and useless post

Anyway, the thing that bothers me with Americans and the beautiful game is their ignorance. I almost threw up when i saw on ESPN that the US National team were named CONTENDERS to win the World Cup. How do you want respect when you say crap like this? It really is an insult to the beautiful game.

3. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    not very true my friend.

and ive been a resident in this country for 7 years now and soccer is well liked and media covers the national team very well, maybe not heavily like in my country guatemala and the rest of the americas or how spain does it but, when the WC comes around there is a lot of support , and when they play rivals Mexico it gets very good media coverage.people don't knock soccer, actually its american advertiser and marketers who do that with there beer ads during american football games whodown play soccer as a foriegn game etc ..

4. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is hilarious when you pair that with the fact that most beers that started in this country were created by immigrants or U.S.-born members of immigrant communities. Many places and food we might consider all-American are actually tied to immigrant communities from just a few generations ago. Mmmm, Ohio State vs. Michigan, and brats and Budweiser...oh, those are German. Then of course there's that whole notion that if you go back far enough, everyone's an immigrant.

5. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    the irony

6. rjxsapri

rjxsapri New Member

May 15, 2005
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I don't know where you live Guatefc, but when the US beat Portugal in the last World Cup, I watched all the editions of the local news here where I live and they DIDN'T EVEN MENTION THE WORLD CUP. No people in the streets celebrating, no one even knew the most important competition in the world was being played, no one knew anything.

When the US beat Mexico in the Round of 16, they just showed both of the goals and said that they'd play Germany in the next round. It didn't last more than 30 seconds. During World Cup time, you'd expect a channel like ESPN talking non-stop about the World Cup....but I watched Sports Center for like two hours to just keep seeing news about American Rugby players being injured and yada yada and the NASCAR and then Tiger Woods and then a bunch of other stuff but nothing about the World Cup.

I don't know why it is that Americans don't like football, but I hate that they don't. A lot of people actually make fun of it without even understanding it...that's what pisses me off.

7. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    and you call yourself a soccer journalist?

BAH!

8. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    i live in md / dc metro area, were soccer is very popular here. i don't know much of the carolinas and how soccer is viewed over there. every local news is different from the main markets like la ,chicago , dc, ny,

and i specifically remeber espn showing the highlights of the world cup.

rubgy ????? are you serious ....

those american are usually country or the bible belt states, mid west areas, downsouth areas who quite don't understand soccer just becuase of lack of knowledge ,

9. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    american rugby? mae, i think that's football...

they showed a lot of WC coverage on CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc. etc. over here...don't be cheap, mae. get cable.

anyhow, who cares 'bout coverage? as long as you saw the games live, right?

10. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Yeah, I'm sure that a lot of non-soccer fans will get interested if the analysts said "The USA have no shot, they may not even get out of group play." :rolleyes:

11. PasadenaBlitz

PasadenaBlitz New Member

Mar 17, 2003
    That may actually fire people up more. We generally love an underdog story, which explains all the hard luck stories on athletes. Take Lance Armstrong for instance... nobody from nowhere cancer survivor goes on to win Tour de France. If you ever watch the Olympics here you'll see what I mean. There's a sob story for every event.

12. romero09

romero09 New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    .*-PEREZ ZELEDON -*.
    Its true im 14 years old and im the most hardcore soccer fan and kid in the eastern coast .

It is true .

But the cool thing is , the ppl that do like soccer along with me and my firends and stuff . The other sport kids like us and respect us now more then ever and since no1 else likes it we feel more like outlaws like ha u can play this worldwild sport and i can ..

i like the feeling

13. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    you treat people like ignorant idiots, they will always be ignorant idiots

14. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

But what if most really are ignorant idiots?

15. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Using your logic, the USSF should just cancel the plane tickets and not participate in the WC.

All 32 teams that made it to the WC are 'contenders'. That's why the games are played.

16. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Are you saying more Americans are idiots Buffalo? no, that cant be...

ok maybe it can.

17. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    ESPN will be carrying every game in the world cup. Don't tell me there's no press coverage. It's true that it's not liked by anyone, but that's because they've never taken the time to see the real thing. When talking about soccer in spanish, a girl said, "wait, USA has a national team?"
    It's not because they don't appreciate soccer, it's because they've never seen it played RIGHT! They've only seen it played in the schoolyards, which consists of 22 people within 10 feet of each other playing human foosball.
    Anyone who has seen real soccer, appreciates and loves it. All it takes is time for the word to spread, and the ignorant to give up their pride and realize that it's hundreds of times better than american football or basketball, and a million times better than baseball.
    dasoccer

18. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

TopDogg is Canadian. ;)

19. pfflps

pfflps New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    What are you smoking? Cuz that sounds like some good sh-t :D ....I live in Southern California and anytime I want to hear soccer news i have to turn to the spanish stations because the english stations mention only 10 sec with no clips, and that's if they mention it at all. The LA times puts maybe a couple of paragraphs somewhere in the back, and most of the times it's only the AP report. What's also pathetic is that the upcoming game US vs Canada is gonna be played at a school stadium! How sad is it that the promoters know that not enough people are gonna show up to rent out Qualcomm stadium or that other new stadium (I forgot the name of it) where the Padres play and where Mexico played last time they were in San Diego. In high schools, soccer players are the bottom of the food chain when it came to sports. It was the football players, the baseball players, volleyball players, surfers, wrestlers, and even the golfers that were ahead of soccer players. Face it soccer will never be #1 in the USA because people just don't respect the sport here. I even remember a debate on a radio talk show about whether soccer was even considered a sport! :eek: I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Unless the USA becomes a soccer mad country the NT will reach a peak (which i believe it already has). if it wants to continue to improve it will have to appeal to the best athletes in the country.

20. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Oh that explains it

21. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

on the east coast we get respect , soccer is very popular in maryland

maybe its a regional thing here in america

22. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wow, you're an enlightened little fellow, aren't you? :rolleyes:

There's a reason they play the games. Just ask Greece.

23. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would say Monterray, Mexico has more idiots per capita than anywhere else.

24. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Its really to bad that mainstream america doesnt give a crap about football. Maybe their just isnt anymore room for another major sport in the u.s. With Nba,Nfl..Mlb..and even Nhl..where would Mls be put ?..like 5th place. I dont think thats fair. Football deseves more media coverage and more respect in the states.

25. shinzui

shinzui New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Gulf Shores
    Let's be honest though. June is the busiest month on the sports calendar in the United States. The NHL and NBA playoffs are in their critical championship stages. MLB is just starting to get really interesting separating the contenders from the pretenders. The College World Series is also during the World Cup. The U.S. Open in Golf is also played during the World Cup. The World Cup occurs in what is otherwise a dead period on the sports schedule elsewhere in the world. June by comparison has the most demands on media coverage of any month here.