The Truth about Team Germany (r)

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Shocking results from a poll over at womensoccer.de:

Wie schneidet Deutschland beim Algarve Cup ab?
    • Fünfter (100.0%)
    • Sieger (0.0%)
    Maybe I should confess something. Only one person had voted. Me. :eek:

2. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    I'd definitely be interested in the arithmetic behind that -
    did you look at the teams that might be even worse, or at those that might be even better? :confused: (And who are they? Perhaps we should do our own rankings over in the mélange thread?)

3. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Pure instinct. Sorry. :eek:

4. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Oh dear. Then we'll have to assume our resident psychic will, once again, hit the nail on the head...

5. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    And while we're on the subject of German (non-)forwards:
    Wimbersky is taking a time-out from the national team (to which she hasn't really been nominated much recently) due to "general short-term motivation issues".

She doesn't look too good either (although this pic was taken at the Wolfsburg match yesterday where she scored two goals) ...

[​IMG]

6. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    :eek: You know, I'm really starting to wonder if I might in fact be the kiss of death on a very individual level. And to ask an obvious question: how does she know it's "short-term"?

Hey, she can roll her tongue while winning the ball. Who needs to look good when you're all-round talented? :p

7. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Especially considering that some people can't roll their tongues like that at all, genetically. (And some may not want to. :rolleyes:)

8. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    OK, I'm going to bite here. Even though I can hear redcard stirring somewhere in the background like Sauron with a whiff of ring.

Now, why wouldn't you want to roll your tongue?

9. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Oh, I wouldn't know. :confused:

I don't play football, after all. :rolleyes:

10. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Why wouldn't they?

Not only can I roll my tongue like Wimbersky, I can also roll it (like a rug) to the back of my throat.

(And yes, I can tie a knot in a cherry stem with my tongue. I've been thinking of adding it to my resume. :D )

Me? :eek:

Exactly!

11. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I'm too tired to do the arithmetic, but not many people over at womensoccer.de seem to be backing up my guess at 5th place for Germany in the Algarve Cup. Bless their little hearts. Especially the ones who think they'll do even worse.

• First (29.0%)
    • Third (26.0%)
    • Second (17.0%)
    • Worse than Fifth (12.0%)
    • Fourth (11.0%)
    • Fifth (6.0%)
    Total votes: 66

12. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Apparently she wrote a letter to announce her decision. Steffi Jones said today she considered that way of communication a mistake; it would have been better to talk face to face and sort things out. She said she herself had made a similar mistake when she was younger but she was lucky enough to get a second chance.
    Silvia Neid also seemed to think that Wimbersky's chosen way of communication was a bit odd but she said that when Wimbersky had found her form back she was looking forward to working together with her again - or words to that effect but evidently leaving the door open.

13. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Pictures from the friendly against China on 25 February in Bielefeld

14. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    For Steffi Jones fans: interview podcast in German (mp3 file, 11 MB)

15. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Well, I've just had a Tequila and I'm wildly optimistic.

We'll come in *drum roll* FIRST!!!!

16. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Hey, there's someone who didn't see the match yesterday! 2-0 looked like a bit of struggle against a Finland that was lying on its back waiting for its tummy to be tickled. Germany are historically crap in the Algarve Cup and I see no real reason for it to be any different this year. Do you?

17. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    I don't quite share your optimism either, kickinthehead - I've voted "third", judging merely from the experience of the last 3 tournaments (Olympics, U17 and U20 WWCs). :rolleyes: Then again, if Schelin should really be out, miracles might yet happen, especially after Sweden tied China yesterday, and if they finished the group first, they'd already be second... dreaming is allowed, surely? :cool:

Speaking of the U20 though, I've been wanting to mention for a couple of days that everyone in Germany was underwhelmed by the performance of the German team at the U20 WWC last year, repeating again and again that they weren't a very inspired vintage (contrary to the U17 with Maroszan, in particular). Looking at the four that are being aired in the Portugal wind now, I'm tempted to protest - it seems to me that Schmidt, Kulig, Baunach and N. Banecki are all playing as if they knew what they were doing and as if they intended to stay on the team.

18. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006

Well, I don't see any reason, but Mr. Tequila did! Hey, the video wasn't all that bad, some nice stuff but way to blow major goal chances!

19. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Strange, because I'm pretty sure Mr. Staropramen told me "fifth". They really ought to get together to discuss this. Ms. Zinfandel should join them too, because she's currently hinting that I might have been a bit harsh.

20. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I'm sticking with FIRST out of sheer stubbornness now. Why not? I was the only one rooting for my FC Bayern gals and was I right or was I right?

21. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Not entirely true. I was "rooting for" them, but wasn't supposed to. And you tried to tempt me from the path of righteousness, but I refused to yield to temptation :p.

But from that, to Germany pulling a total shocker and winning the Algarve Cup... Nah. Even Ms. Zinfandel is starting to come round to my way of thinking.

22. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
  23. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    We've won it before -- I think it was right before WC 2003.

Shock and Awe, baby!!! Or maybe Shock and Nah .....

Here's to you you Ms. Zinfandel! Tequila trumps Zinfandel anytime ....

24. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Only in the eyes of the delusional. Besides, Paso Robles is a much nicer place than Tijuana.

25. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    That's entirely dependent on what your definition of 'nice' is.