the troubles

Discussion in 'International News' started by msilverstein47, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Are you Brian Cappellieri in disguise?

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cappellieri posted loads of links, with no commentary and got red carded. (Kind of like you.)

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no worries...the Mods have no issue with the content of my posts and the lack of comments...so feel free to report me if you'd like. I'd like to see the BigSoccer legal language where it says the comments are "necessary".

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The same man that will curse a child for their heritage tucks his own child in at night and wants him or her to be safe.
    When I was an agnostic these clashes made no sense.
    When I became a Christian these clashes made even less sense.

"Necessary?!?"
    [​IMG]

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is stories like this that really hit home.
    Teens killed by the very people that supposedly are there to represent them.
    [​IMG]

Chesco United repped this.
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    I sometimes wonder if people ever quite get their head around the history of 'the troubles' when they are not from the UK/Ireland and are new to it all.

Gerry Adams voice being banned in Britain is one of the memories of watching the news growing up here. Seems like such an odd thing to have done now looking back at it.

9. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just pray and wish for peace for all the Irish regardless of religious or political affiliation.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm sure all our American friends have got a complete grasp of the intricacies of the situation...

'Ah, top of the morning to yer, Mr. McChurchill sir' :D

11. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

It was a farce, but the idea was that it would stop pro-IRA views being broadcast. The tv stations then got round the ruling by having his voice dubbed, so that it was no longer "his voice" being broadcast.

This was then sent up by Chris Morris' spoof TV news show "The Day Today", where it was stated that "...under government reporting restrictions, the IRA spokesman has to first inhale helium so his statements lack credibility..."

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

But, tbh, WAS that any more ludicrous than what Thatcher had them doing???

Talk about making yourselves an international laughing stock. Almost as pathetic as the yank 'Gitmo's not really in America so we can torture people' shit :(

13. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thatcher's plan was meant to stop their views being broadcast at all. The "voice spoken by an actor" nonsense was just the broadcasters sidestepping the ruling.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Er.... yeah... :confused: I wasn't suggesting she actually WANTED them to have voice overs :eek: :D

15. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
  16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To what extent? I only get to hear of what goes on from my association football and GAA buddies.

A bit off topic but still about how different nations came to be during English Empire rule.
    As Americans, at one point in our nation's history we had Loyalists and we had Rebels or as the English Crown called us, traitors.
    The end game was that our rebels won, our 13 colonies gained independence from the British Crown and the Brits had to pack up and go home or as it relates to Northern Ireland with those that are from Ireland but consider themselves British, our American Loyalists to the Crown had several choices, stay and see how this new nation pans out, leave to other home nations under Crown rule (just move to Canada which in 1961 finally got it's own home rule iirc) or move to some other nation on the planet. Most stayed and both sides reconciled the conflict and quickly got to work building a new nation. Onward U.S. of A.
    Simply put, none of this happened in Northern Ireland post 1922. Instead the two sides have had to live next to each other under some uneasy settlement for generations now.
    In the Americas, the planet can see there is the remnent of the English Crown's Empire with the U.S. and Canada. In Ireland there is Ireland Republic of and this onclave of folks that are Irish but want to be ruled by some other nation's monarchy.

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Regarding the bolded part...

Er... WHAT?! :D

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/timeline.htm

There was pretty much a continuous removal of British rights to play a role in Canada for 100+ years before 1961.

The problem is, of course, that, in a situation where there are hundreds of thousands of people that want to remain part of a society, it's bloody hard to force them to OUT. In fact it's as hard to force them out as it was to force the Catholics to stay IN, thus the partition and thus the troubles.

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 CeltTexan, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

Jan 1, 1947- Canadian Citizenship Act gives all Canadians Canadian citizenship.
    Before, they were considered British subjects.
    Jun 22, 1948- King George VI abandons the title of "Emperor", formally ending the concept of the "British Empire"

Feb 15, 1965- Canada adopts its own national flag, turfing the Red Ensign and Union Jack.

I guess I was off by 4 years as what I recall from WWII was at study of battle maps and tactics of say North Africa and the Normandy landings I always recalled that Canada's flag was like Fiji or New Zealand with a Union Jack in it over what we know of today with the Maple Leaf. I mean us to their south got our own flag free from the Brits two centuries earlier, Canadians didn't get their own flag free from the Brits until 4 dudes from Liverpool where making hit records, that's all!

Of course you are correct, however to us in the Americas where us of European heritage and our various monarchs from England to Spain to the French to the Dutch and Portuguese, we dove into someone else's culture who were already here and over time it makes your people what they are. The blend of various peoples and you get us mutts.
    In Ireland, being what you mentioned is true, then at some point some leader on each side has to go more rugby and less association football in mindset and celebrate the blend. In other words for those that won't catch that, my ROI and No. Ireland buddies here in Houston mention that when the Six Nations comes around or the Rugby World Cup comes around, everyone backs a united Ireland National Rugby Football Team, where even the proddys from the North will sing the soldiers song and everyone, at least for 80 minutes, is pro one island Ireland. Yet when World Cup qualifying comes around or the like for ROI and Northern Ireland, that sentiment stops cold in its tracks. As footy junkies we can all understand the passion for the sport and what your flag means and yet it does speak to the fact that clearly there is the willingness of the Irish people to stand together and as well a week later stand separated. All of us looking from the outside in and specifically for us of Irish diaspora around the globe, it makes many of us bonkers cuz one way of thinking celebrates the green while the other divides the green. I would tell the Unionists, to sow union a la Ireland rugby union matches. One Irish team. It already happens. Keep the ball rolling soN!
    Here is this prayer for the troubles.
    Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi
    Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
    Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    where there is injury, pardon;
    where there is doubt, faith;
    where there is despair, hope;
    where there is darkness, light;
    and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
    to be consoled as to console;
    to be understood as to understand;
    to be loved as to love.
    For it is in giving that we receive;
    it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
    and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You don't think that...

Dec 11, 1931- Statute of Westminster / Founding of "Commonwealth":
    -British Parliament can no longer make laws for Canada.
    -Canada can modify or repeal past British-made legislation
    -Canada has right to it's own foreign policy.
    -Virtual political independence from Britain

... or

Jan 10, 1920- Canada is permitted to join the League of Nations as an independent, free-voting member.

... or even

Feb 14, 1853- The Canadian Currency Act allows Canada to adopt her own Currency

... might be more relevant?

Regarding the six nations, that's a throwback to the old 'Home Nation Championships'. I don't think we can gather too much from that, tbh.

In any event, I don't know who you speak too but the protestants I'VE met from the north don't tend to cheer for anything with the colour green in it. Quite the opposite, unfortunately... :( As to whether that should be the case... in my case you're preaching to the choir here mate. Of course, not that I, (or, indeed, most other Englishmen), feel it's got anything to do with me.

Lastly, RELIGION??? REALLY? You think the situation over there will be helped by adding MORE religion into it???

Not sure you've thought that through mate, tbh. :unsure:

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Look, when a nation's flag still has the Union Jack in it then you still have some splainin' to do. Just an American talkin'.

Ireland played our guys here in Houston in a one off friendly and it set the record attendance for USA Rugby. I enjoyed the fact that the billboard just said Ireland vs. U.S.A. on it with no mention of Republic or Northern. Take from this what one will but to me it lives outside the boundaries of a throwback era NM.

You're telling me that no one in all of Ireland ever cheered this man on when he played for Northern Ireland? A football team that wears green!
    [​IMG]

No not religion. Relationship. Really.
    As I have witnessed it over the years, if people actually took to the words of their holymen or pastors, then perhaps brother wouldn't look to kill brother. I will admit it is a story as old as Cain and Able so I don't expect much to change but as an old fan of Bill Clinton, getting both sides of the centuries old conflict to finally reach some agreement is a Godsend from above!

21. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    The protestant that I knew from Northern Island told me that Catholics are the ni**ers of Northern Ireland.

22. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    pedant mode on

It's the Union Flag. It is only called the Union Jack when being flown at sea.

Pedant mode off

as you were gentelmen..........

Moishe and CeltTexan repped this.
  23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's the attitude of some protestants... which is exactly why I can't stand them. TBH, the idea that most people in England, Scotland or Wales support the Protestants is laughable.

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Some of them travel with the same attitude. A friend was bartending near Giants Stadium about a decade ago when ManU was doing their summer moneygrubbing tour. A few dozen come in after the game - fat, drunk sunburnt & shirtless (the English national costume apparently) and start calling him "Paddy" and singing "nick nack Paddy wack" and just harassing everyone in sight. Charming folk.