The Transgender Discussion [Strictly Moderated]

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by usscouse, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Uh huh.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    12.66 in the 100 is not blazing. IIRC fast HS girls are in high 11s or around 12.

3. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You ********ing ignorant bigot. I'm breaking my silence for this one post because of the bigotry you have demonstrated.

Study after study has demonstrated there is a biological difference between transgender women and cisgender men. Your ignorance is no excuse for your false information.

Your ignorance of the actual facts does not excuse your blatant bigotry. If you would simply educate yourself instead of repeating bigoted assumptions, maybe you could become a decent human being. Until then, your bigotry is appalling.

@Yoshou it is inexcusable at this point that you do not know the difference between intersex and transgender. Completely inexcusable. This is not the 1900s anymore and you don't live in some backwoods American location that relies on the Bible instead of science.

If you people haven't yet figured out why you have chased away basically all women and LGBT from this site, then maybe you should start reflecting upon that. The bigotry demonstrated in these last few pages is simply appalling.

You can all go to hell.

xtomx, crazypete13, song219 and 3 others repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I certainly hope not, Trump will be there.

5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *nudgenudge* Already admitted I screwed up, man. I got lazy and did a google image search for “transgender olympic athletes” and her image was the first 4 or 5 on the list and the associated articles had headlines about transgender athletes. ;)

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is not that simple. Read up on Dutee Chand and Caster Semenya. Of course, this should probably be moved to the transgender thread.

Edit:
    This is actually correct for the above. But looking at those two gets into the difficulties of biology and how sex is not necessarily gender when competing as an athlete.

7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I was thinking how nice it was to see you back.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #183 soccernutter, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    One that results in decreased athletic ability? Post it here.
    Nobody's taken exception to that sentence but you. I want to see one study that suggests an athletic difference. Why the hell would there be one? If you're not studying an already self-selected (meaning less athletic) group, there shouldn't be one.

Full disclosure: I know I'm shrinking the goalposts here, but athleticism is what I was always talking about.

Sounders, you have a habit of replying for a while and then stopping when someone can match you without rancor. I hope you don't do that today. These people aren't gay. They're transgender. I'm sick of explaining that this whole athletics thing is separate, but I'll continue to do so.

If you can tell me how an individual born with more potential athleticism than the average female doesn't have some athletic advantage over cisgender females, I'm willing to listen. But if you continue to call me a ********ing bigot because I don't think biological genders should be in competition with one another, you won't be teaching me anything.

No, you can go to hell. I'm here, and I'm the only Black person here. If I were as easily offended as you suggest the LGBTs are, I'd have run screaming from the libertarians and third-partiers here a long-ass time ago.

I want to know why the hell there's even a T in LGB.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You have to excel for the ring, not the record. Nobody cares what last year's state titlist's time was.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really get into the story of Dutee. It is not just testosterone, which is a fairly arbitrary level, but other chemicals in the body as well. In addition, it also gets into "how does a female prove they are a female if accused of not being a female?"

Yoshou repped this.
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I didn't reference either one, because I knew about Semenya and I know the difference bewteeen intersex and transgender. My posts were about humans who were born biologically male, nothing different from other biological males, but who identify as female competing against biological females.

I'd like to see a thread, as this IS a political topic. But I'd want ALL the posts to be moved there, especially the ones where I'm being called names.

13. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If those faster girls from other states are boys, yes it's unfair.

Keep moving the goalposts all you want, the story you cited was about high school athletics. The reality is girls are losing to trans athletes who have an enormous biological advantage in high school. All the extra stuff that you added to the mix doesn't change the fact that the only things that correlate in this entire discussion are the law in Idaho and the unfair playing field in Connecticut both being at the high school level.

bostonsoccermdl and Auriaprottu repped this.
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this year's champions happen to be transgender. The record holders are female. Or do you question their gender as well? The point is that if the transgender women were so dominating, they would be setting records. But they are not. They are winning, but clearly there are other females out there better than them. They may not be in that same state, but they are out there.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Tell that to the biological females who lost to the champion. No matter what the record is, there are some females out there who should have rings but do not.

16. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Studies indicate circulating testosterone during fetal development and androgen receptors as both important. If you don't understand the importance of circulating testosterone, then maybe you should educate yourself.

Furthermore, Renee Richards was not transgender. Please educate yourself.

Such bigotry. Cisgender males don't object to what you say, so therefore you believe it's not offensive to LGBT+ people. Well, let's get a group of white supremacists together to say a lot of derogatory things about blacks. If none of them complain, it clearly isn't offensive - right? You are such a bigot.

Do you know how many studies there are showing that African Americans have a longer appendage to torso ratio than white people? Tons. In fact, in forensic anthropology we use different charts to estimate height for African Americans based on limb bones than we do for whites. That's a concrete biological difference between blacks and whites. That's a concrete biological difference that gives blacks an advantage in certain sports. Based on your reasoning, it's unfair to whites to let blacks compete in the same sports leagues as them. But your first response will be to argue they are of the same sex, as if that's the be all and end all of everything. It isn't. But I'm guessing your religious or cultural upbringing has convinced you it is. If you are unable to put aside your bias, I cannot help you.

Bullshit. I haven't posted for months until today because of the bigotry of people like you. I never backed down from a fight in these threads, just ask superdave. I stopped when it became clear the moderators would do nothing about the bigotry on these threads. They allowed bigots to insult me directly and repeatedly because they did not want to offend the bigots. I will not be bullied by bigots like you.

Furthermore, because they are transgender and not gay I shouldn't stick up for them? Too ********ing bad. I stick up for black people even though I'm not black. It's a shame you are such a bigot and cannot see beyond your own self. There is a reason LGBT+ are grouped together. If you are too ignorant to understand why, I cannot help you because you are clearly unwilling to learn.

You are a bigot.

Maybe the problem is the dichotomy that people operate under. Males and females, which are biological sexes, not genders, are only two types of biological sex. You should educate yourself on such things before spouting off bigoted comments.

No, you are not.

I want to know why the hell there's even a T in LGB.[/QUOTE]

It's a shame you don't have access to the internet. Have you ever considered looking into it? Have you ever tried to educate your ********ing ignorant bigoted self? To get an answer to that would take a few minutes at most. But you are too lazy and, no doubt, too bigoted to try to educate yourself.

I will not engage in further dialogue with you. You have the same access to information as I do. You choose to remain an incredibly ignorant and bigoted person.

17. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This is the problem with moderators. You allow bigotry and then when people who are targeted respond, you move the posts or delete them altogether. In doing so, you inherently propagate the bias that exists in these threads.

********ing call out bigotry against transgender people. Delete their bigoted, ignorant posts. Stop treating them as if their posts are legitimate. They aren't. If they were treating black people or religious people the way they do LGBT people, they would be shut down quickly. But you moderators don't do that. You defend bigots. That is why I left.

stanger and xtomx repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm cutting and pasting this whole thing into the Transgender thread, because that's where the convo has been moved.

You're the one with the dissenting opinion. You and 'nutter should be the ones providing the knowledge.

My response to (at this point, I forget who) about Richards didn't indicate that I thought she was trans, and you know it.

Boxing has weight classes. I'm not opposed to something like that (whatever measurements are chosen) if trans females are going to compete with cisgender females. If Whites decided to complain, I'm not sure I'd care any more than I do about the trans issue. But I'd post about it, just I'm doing now with the trans issue.

I've never hurled any kind of insult (veiled or otherwise) at you or anyone else for being gay, and I've never suggested that gays deserve unequal treatment, and on only a couple of occasions have I even been a dick about anything related to gender studies or issues.

That's on you. I asked why they're being grouped together. It isn't a natural grouping, but a marriage of convenience against bigotry.

I can say I've never replied to this much name-calling with as much patience as I've shown.

Well, you know something I do not. I think you've said you were White, so it ain't you. Who have I missed?

Then this reply is for anyone else who decides to read it.

I'll live. And I'm not a bigot. ******** off.

19. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your bigoted bullshit is noted. It's so nice for you to sacrifice other's civil rights to protect the sanctity of high school sports. I bet that sixty years ago there were some white parents going "gee, we can't let those negroes compete against our kids" - that's you, today. I hope you live long enough to see the day when everyone recognizes that the things you are saying today are wrong, the way that we all recognize that the white people saying that shit sixty years ago were wrong.

20. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calling trans women men, or trans girls boys, is bigoted. You may not realize it, but it's deeply insulting to some of your fellow human beings. Now that it's been pointed out to you, I hope you won't do it again.

crazypete13 and soccernutter repped this.
  21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    So this post was moved despite deliberately removing anything in the quote about the subject being discussed here. That's weird.

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    He makes an interesting point.

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Equally nice of you to equate HS sports participation with trying to vote or crossing paths with a White and not getting the ******** lynched for not stepping off the sidewalk.

FWIW, I don't know if I've ever asked for desegregation (I've seen that, deliberately implemented poorly)- but I know I've suggested that equality might not be such a bad thing.

No White person, gay or straight, has ever had their intellect questioned, their resume questioned, their choice of school questioned, told they speak well, had it assumed that they were violent, untrustworthy or uppity, asked to pray or sing at some work event with absolutely no prior evidence that I was good at either, asked about BBQ, told they'd have to keep it in their pants because, well, there are enough little brown babies running around without a father, told I would eventually meet my dad's illegitimate children if I didn't get gunned down first, told that I didn't have any business on a disc course... all but the last one occurred in the workplace, when I was too young to realize I had options to counter them. Ain't no White mofo ever been thru that. They have Larry Craig, J. Edgar Hoover, Milo Yiannopolis, Mark Foley, etc. The Black folks with that kind of power or star power number at zero.

You don't know me, Smurfquake. I've lived thru insults that would make most White folks climb the damn clock tower. The list above is limited.

are you ********ing kidding me?????

Potowmack, Century's Best and Jumpin Jack Flash have come in here and spouted all sorts of cultural and genetic venom wrt POCs over the years. On multiple occasions. with multiple posters replying to them and debating them. And that's just the three I can recall by username. There are at least two longtime posters here who clearly wouldn't lift a finger to protect the most vulnerable demographic (POCs) from the effects of a GOp presidency. A bunch more who spout stuff about drones, the School Of The Americas, virtually every god-damned thing except the Black folks who live in their country.

You haven't read my posts on religious people, especially those who are simultaneously Black and Adventist.

24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    She made a couple of doubles finals at the US open, and knocked out some pretty good singles players as well.

More to the point, she has rethought the issue and now says she shouldn't have been allowed to compete, especially if she'd had the surgery in her 20's, because she could have beaten anyone then...

Auriaprottu repped this.
  25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #200 soccernutter, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    I would. I sucks for them because they thought they were the best, but suddenly a new player came to town who beat them.

But I looked at this from a pure results standpoint. The argument was for the 2019 indoor 55m.
    The results:
    Finals
    1. 11 Terry Miller 6.95a Bloomfield
    2. 11 Andraya Yearwood 7.01a PR Cromwell
    3. 11 Chelsea Mitchell 7.23a SR Canton
    4. 12 Kate Shaffer 7.24a Conard
    5. 12 Ayesha Nelson 7.26a PR Hillhouse
    6. 12 Maya Mocarski 7.33a Fairfield Ludlowe
    7. 12 Cori Richardson 7.39a Windsor

Prelims
    1. 11 Terry Miller 7.00a Bloomfield
    2. 11 Andraya Yearwood 7.07a Cromwell
    3. 12 Cori Richardson 7.24a Windsor
    4. 11 Chelsea Mitchell 7.27a Canton
    5. 12 Kate Shaffer 7.27a Conard
    6. 12 Ayesha Nelson 7.29a Hillhouse
    7. 12 Maya Mocarski 7.34a Fairfield Ludlowe
    8. 11 Selina Soule 7.37a Glastonbury
    9. 10 Kisha Francois 7.41a East Haven
    10. 12 Bridget Lalonde 7.45a RHAM
    11. 11 Abbygail Michel 7.54a Trumbull
    11. 10 Noelle Konior 7.54a Berlin
    13. 12 Shanell Stewart 7.56a Danbury
    14. 12 Patricia Jurkowski 7.59a Seymour
    15. 11 Brianna Westberry 7.63a Capital Prep
    16. 9 D'Jior Delisser 7.85a Bloomfield
    -- 12 Magnalen Camara DNS Amistad Academy
    -- 10 Elizabeth St George DNS New Canaan

So Miller and Yearwood did win and finish 1-2. So who is complaining?
    https://www.wfsb.com/news/ct-high-s...cle_9f73e28e-4dc9-11ea-9449-af76cf05bbe7.html

Selina Soule, Alanna Smith, and Chelsea Mitchell claim they were deprived of honors due to transgender girls competing in girl Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference events.

Of those three, the only name listed is Mitchell. So I checked further. Here is 2018
    Finals
    1. 12 Dinedye Denis 7.16a PR Simsbury
    2. 12 Aisha Gay 7.26a PR Hamden
    3. 11 Carly Swierbut 7.26a PR Newtown
    4. 10 Andraya Yearwood 7.28a Cromwell
    5. 11 Ayesha Nelson 7.36a Hillhouse
    6. 12 Madison Powe 7.38a PR Fitch
    7. 11 Bridget Lalonde 7.38a PR RHAM

No Terry Miller, but Yearwood is there. Strange how nobody filed based on those results. No, not really. It only becomes and issue when they win, not when they compete. If they don't win, apparently everybody is okay with it.

Now, it is time to delve into some science (and I know this will be incomplete, but it is a starting point at least).

From none other than Nature:
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07238-8

Furthermore, biology is not as straightforward as the proposal suggests. By some estimates, as many as one in 100 people have differences or disorders of sex development, such as hormonal conditions, genetic changes or anatomical ambiguities, some of which mean that their genitalia cannot clearly be classified as male or female. For most of the twentieth century, doctors would often surgically alter an infant’s ambiguous genitals to match whichever sex was easier, and expect the child to adapt. Frequently, they were wrong. A 2004 study tracked 14 genetically male children given female genitalia; 8 ended up identifying as male, and the surgical intervention caused them great distress (W. G. Reiner and J. P. Gearhart N. Engl. J. Med. 350, 333–341; 2004).

Even more scientifically complex is a mismatch between gender and the sex on a person’s birth certificate. Some evidence suggests that transgender identity has genetic or hormonal roots, but its exact biological correlates are unclear. Whatever the cause, organizations such as the American Academy of Pediatrics advise physicians to treat people according to their preferred gender, regardless of appearance or genetics.

The research and medical community now sees sex as more complex than male and female, and gender as a spectrum that includes transgender people and those who identify as neither male nor female. The US administration’s proposal would ignore that expert consensus.
    This should make it clear that what is traditionally used as male/female is known to be wrong, as much as 1% of the time.

DNA tests that check for the presence of a Y chromosome did not prove reliable, either: people with XY chromosomes can have female characteristics owing to conditions including an inability to respond to testosterone.

So just checking the genome sequence is unreliable as well, as is testing for testosterone levels. There is a rather complex article I read many months back, perhaps well over a year, about Dutee Chand which got into the complexities of biological definition of female outside her physical characteristics. I don't know where I read it, but was very fascinating and enlightening.

There is also this, from UCLA, though I'm not sure how helpful it is in the current argument:
    https://newsroom.ucla.edu/stories/male-or-female

A growing body of research is showing how biology influences gender expression, sexual orientation and gender identity — characteristics that can also fall outside of strict, socially defined categories. Toy-preference tests, a popular gauge of gender expression, have long shown that boys and girls will typically gravitate to toys that are stereotypically associated with their gender (cars and guns for boys, for instance, or plush toys for girls). While one might argue that this could be the by-product of a child’s environment — parental influence at play or an internalization of societal norms — Melissa Hines, a former UCLA researcher and current professor of psychology at the University of Cambridge, in England, has shown otherwise. In 2008, she demonstrated that monkeys showed the same sex-based toy preferences as humans — absent societal influence.

Sure, that is sex preference, but it is biological, and how one self-identifies. It is not necessarily how one is physically gender expressed.